View Poll Results: Do independents think they are cool?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    26 78.79%
  • no

    7 21.21%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 91

Thread: Do independents think they are cool?[W:43]

  1. #21
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    It's like people that use macs. They think they are cool for no reason. Everyone else is a sheeple. I think the biggest culprit are the nutjobs that support ron paul.
    It has nothing to do with being 'cool', it has to do with not being part of either of the two big parties that are 99% of the problem with America.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    It's like people that use macs. They think they are cool for no reason. Everyone else is a sheeple. I think the biggest culprit are the nutjobs that support ron paul.
    Of course they do... and so do partisan conservatives and so do partisan liberals.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Many states do not require you to be registered to a party in order to vote in a primary. And I don't see why you would want to vote in a primary where none of the choices represent you very well.
    I purposely will not align myself with a party, even for primary voting purposes. As a result I do miss out on the primaries in my state, but that's a small price to pay for maintaining my integrity.


    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    My state has closed primaries. Independents can't vote in them. Regardless, I would still not want to waste my one vote and give up my right to vote in the primaries. Personally, I favor open primaries, and we had a situation here this year that really shows why they are needed.
    I do not favor open primaries simply as a matter of principle. People of one party should not have influence over another party's candidate in a general election.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,369

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    It's like people that use macs. They think they are cool for no reason. Everyone else is a sheeple. I think the biggest culprit are the nutjobs that support ron paul.
    I'm Independent
    I use Windows
    And, I am way cool.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  4. #24
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yeah on Goldwater, what I remember him was sometime back in 1963 or 64 stating "You do not have to be straight to shoot straight." A reference to gays in the military, gay marriage wasn't even thought about back then. Then his numerous arguments with Reagan over a woman's right to choose and the religious right. Goldwater thought religion had no place in politics.

    About the only politician from the northeast I supported was Paul Tsongas. I voted in 1992 Democratic Primary for him which of course Clinton won going away. As for JFK, I was way too young to vote in 1960.
    I'm a Goldwater Republican. We used to be a dying breed. We're coming back, and the end is now behind us. The religious right has gone too far, and as called on by Goldwater in the following quote... I'll not stop fighting the insanity:

    On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

    I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

    And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

    Speech in the US Senate (16 September 1981)
    The religious right has co-opted much of the Tea Party. Tea stood for Taxed Enough Already... something that Goldwater could even get behind, because he said the following:

    I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' "interests," I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can.

    The Conscience of a Conservative (1960), ghostwritten by L. Brent Bozell, p. 15
    In addition to the above, he also said on the subject:

    Where is the politician who has not promised to fight to the death for lower taxes--and who has not proceeded to vote for the very spending projects that make tax cuts impossible?

    Barry M. Goldwater, The Conscience of a Conservative, New York, MJF Books, 1990, p. 47
    And:

    Indeed, in the industrial age, earnings are probably the most prevalent form of property. It has been the fashion in recent years to disparage “property rights,” to associate them with greed and materialism. This attack on property rights is actually an attack on freedom. It is another failure to take into account the whole man. How can a man be truly free if he is denied the means to exercise freedom? How can he be free if the fruits of his labor are not his to dispose of, but are treated, instead, as part of a common pool of public wealth?

    Barry M. Goldwater, The Conscience of a Conservative, New York, MJF Books, 1990, p. 48
    We need more Goldwater Constitutional Common Sense and less ideological rhetoric.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,361

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    It's like people that use macs. They think they are cool for no reason. Everyone else is a sheeple. I think the biggest culprit are the nutjobs that support ron paul.
    Independents don't think they're cool. They are.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I'm a Goldwater Republican. We used to be a dying breed. We're coming back, and the end is now behind us. The religious right has gone too far, and as called on by Goldwater in the following quote... I'll not stop fighting the insanity:



    The religious right has co-opted much of the Tea Party. Tea stood for Taxed Enough Already... something that Goldwater could even get behind, because he said the following:



    In addition to the above, he also said on the subject:



    And:



    We need more Goldwater Constitutional Common Sense and less ideological rhetoric.
    I totally agree, I always considered Goldwater my political mentor. Then I went campaigning for Ross Perot, so these days I am a mixture of both. You are correct, the Tea Party has been hijacked to a certain extent by the religious right. If they had stuck to fiscal issues, I doubt if there would be the animosity towards them that there is today.

    There has been quite a lot of talk on this site about citizen united ruling by the SCOTUS, here is what Barry had to say:

    In order to achieve the widest possible distribution of political power, financial contributions to political campaigns should be made by individuals and individual alone. I see no reason for labor unions -- or corporations--to participate in politics. Both were created for economic purposes and their activities should be restricted accordingly.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #27
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I totally agree, I always considered Goldwater my political mentor. Then I went campaigning for Ross Perot, so these days I am a mixture of both. You are correct, the Tea Party has been hijacked to a certain extent by the religious right. If they had stuck to fiscal issues, I doubt if there would be the animosity towards them that there is today.

    There has been quite a lot of talk on this site about citizen united ruling by the SCOTUS, here is what Barry had to say:

    In order to achieve the widest possible distribution of political power, financial contributions to political campaigns should be made by individuals and individual alone. I see no reason for labor unions -- or corporations--to participate in politics. Both were created for economic purposes and their activities should be restricted accordingly.
    Very simple response to the above...

  8. #28
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Anytime I see someone that labels themselves a part of the big two parties I almost automatically assume that they are going to be bias and close minded to opposing views/parties. While this is unfair I do think it accurately describes the majority of the party followers.

  9. #29
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    It's like people that use macs. They think they are cool for no reason. Everyone else is a sheeple. I think the biggest culprit are the nutjobs that support ron paul.
    That would be Libertarians, not independents. And how dare you criticize Ron Paul. He is the sexiest candidate in American history with two first names. I dare you to refute that fact without your pants spontaneously combusting and your nose mysteriously elongating to Pinnochio-like lengths. DARE you.

    NOW WHO'S A NUTJOB???

    I am. And don't you forget it.
    Last edited by Jesse Booth; 06-12-14 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  10. #30
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Do independents think they are cool?

    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •