View Poll Results: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra money?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spend it on more stuff.

    6 14.29%
  • Lower Taxes.

    5 11.90%
  • Put it toward the debt.

    31 73.81%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 103

Thread: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra money?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    You talk like there are not people who don't have millions of dollars to spend on alternate ways to smuggle things, including people, into this country. A wall will not stop them.

    Just one example of many:

    Yahoo!
    Well it sure stopped them in Berlin and Israel, so don't tell me walls don't work. As it is now they just walk across and send in tons of drugs across the border. I take it your for an open border.

    BTW, that video you posted, guess what they shut the tunnel down.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  2. #72
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra money?

    1) Spend it on more stuff?
    2) Lower taxes?
    3) Put it toward the debt?

    A real surplus, I mean, not a Bill Clinton smoke-and-mirrors surplus.
    I think it's ok if we were to run a real surplus and collectively decide we're going to use that money to pay down the debt but that should be a collective decision made by the population. Overall, it should be for the tax payers to decide what to do with that surplus as it's our money.

  3. #73
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,412

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Well it sure stopped them in Berlin and Israel, so don't tell me walls don't work. As it is now they just walk across and send in tons of drugs across the border. I take it your for an open border.

    Not an open border but I am against a wall. It's not going to work here and it's a completely different situation. First of all - Palestinians don't have billions of dollars to back them up, the cartels do and they have the motivation to move their products here to the US by any means possible. Second of all, it's not a guarantee to keep people out, by some reports hundred and sometimes thousands of Palestinians penetrate the wall on a daily basis. The Berlin wall doesn't even factor in considering it is not even up anymore and only lasted about 26 years which shows it must not have worked.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  4. #74
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Not an open border but I am against a wall. It's not going to work here and it's a completely different situation. First of all - Palestinians don't have billions of dollars to back them up, the cartels do and they have the motivation to move their products here to the US by any means possible. Second of all, it's not a guarantee to keep people out, by some reports hundred and sometimes thousands of Palestinians penetrate the wall on a daily basis. The Berlin wall doesn't even factor in considering it is not even up anymore and only lasted about 26 years which shows it must not have worked.
    The Berlin wall worked, in fact it worked so well no one ever crossed that did not get killed. We have 20 million illegals in this country and now they are busing them to cities in Arizona and letting them go. Further you offer no solution except that a wall will not work then you would say putting a military fence would not work and so on. You are for an open border or offer up how you would shut the border down.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    I think it's ok if we were to run a real surplus and collectively decide we're going to use that money to pay down the debt but that should be a collective decision made by the population. Overall, it should be for the tax payers to decide what to do with that surplus as it's our money.
    Sure, but it's also our debt? And if we don't pay down our debt, then more of our money keeps going toward debt maintenance.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #76
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,412

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    The Berlin wall worked, in fact it worked so well no one ever crossed that did not get killed. We have 20 million illegals in this country and now they are busing them to cities in Arizona and letting them go. Further you offer no solution except that a wall will not work then you would say putting a military fence would not work and so on. You are for an open border or offer up how you would shut the border down.

    Not supporting a wall does not equal open border or support of an open border. Further you offer no solution except a wall. If you really think just building a wall will work, there is nowhere else to go.

    My solution instead of a wall is to eliminate the incentives to cross - no benefits, stricter employer hiring laws, more checks on citizenship when renting houses, and more enforcement of the border. Furthermore, it's the drug trade that concerns me the most. A guy looking for work to feed his family is one thing but a mafioso with a million dollar bank account and a trained militia backing him up is quite another. A wall or military fence is not going to stop him at all no matter what you may believe.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  7. #77
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    The Berlin wall worked, in fact it worked so well no one ever crossed that did not get killed. We have 20 million illegals in this country and now they are busing them to cities in Arizona and letting them go. Further you offer no solution except that a wall will not work then you would say putting a military fence would not work and so on. You are for an open border or offer up how you would shut the border down.
    Did you just make this up? Here's some facts:
    "Well over 100,000 citizens of the GDR tried to escape across the inner-German border or the Berlin Wall between 1961 and 1988. More than 600 of them were shot and killed by GDR border guards or died in other ways during their escape attempt."

    Facts and figures - Berlin.de
    Less than 1% died trying to cross.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #78
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Sure, but it's also our debt? And if we don't pay down our debt, then more of our money keeps going toward debt maintenance.
    Yeah but the decision to pay down that debt faster then what was agreed upon should be up to the people.

    Or at least the officials they elected to vote on their behalf.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,824

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    Yeah but the decision to pay down that debt faster then what was agreed upon should be up to the people.

    Or at least the officials they elected to vote on their behalf.
    1. The people are dumbasses...just look at who they elect.

    2. The people they elect...as least, a majority of them...especially in the Senate...have no interest in paying down the debt. They just want to spend more and more.

    But don't get me wrong. I don't think there should be some kind of "taxpayer vote" on whether to pay down the debt or not. I just wish voters would stop being dumbasses and would elect some people who are interested in paying down the debt. The bad thing is, though, just being interested in paying down the debt isn't enough. First, we have to stop spending more and more.
    Last edited by Mycroft; 06-11-14 at 05:03 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,010

    Re: Should we ever have a budget surplus again, what should we do with the extra mone

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I am actually for that, moreso for the drug and violence side than the immigration side. But then we both get what we want, yes?
    Good point. I want that too.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •