View Poll Results: Was George W Bush a good president?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a right leaning American, yes.

    33 21.71%
  • I'm a left leaning American, yes.

    4 2.63%
  • I'm not American, Yes.

    4 2.63%
  • I'm a right leaning American, no.

    31 20.39%
  • I'm a left leaning American, no.

    66 43.42%
  • I'm not American, no.

    14 9.21%
Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 810

Thread: Was George W Bush a good president?[W:439:621]

  1. #571
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,931

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The Democratic led Senate voted 77-23 to allow Bush to attack Iraq and the Republican led House passed a similar resolution 296-133.

    Bush wins Congress backing over war on Iraq | Mail Online

    A majority of the American people supported the war as well. Public opinion on the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh, well, if the Democrat controlled Senate and Republican controlled house approved it, then it must have been OK, right?

    and, sure, the American people supported the idea of a war that was supposed to have lasted less than six weeks and get rid of Saddam's WMD, or at least the ones who have forgotten about Vietnam supported it as long as there was no chance they could be drafted, as long as no taxes were raised to pay for it, and as long as there wasn't anything that they had to actually do to support it.
    Making Russia great again!



  2. #572
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, well, if the Democrat controlled Senate and Republican controlled house approved it, then it must have been OK, right?
    Right. As you said, they represent the American people.

    and, sure, the American people supported the idea of a war that was supposed to have lasted less than six weeks and get rid of Saddam's WMD, or at least the ones who have forgotten about Vietnam supported it as long as there was no chance they could be drafted, as long as no taxes were raised to pay for it, and as long as there wasn't anything that they had to actually do to support it.
    Yes, as we have seen the American people supported the war in Iraq. I don't really see any debate here.

  3. #573
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    George W Bush was not the best speaker but I thought he delivered an excellent speech on January 31, 2006.

    Quote Originally Posted by George W Bush
    Our coalition has learned from our experience in Iraq. We've adjusted our military tactics and changed our approach to reconstruction. Along the way, we have benefitted from responsible criticism and counsel offered by members of Congress of both parties. In the coming year, I will continue to reach out and seek your good advice. Yet, there is a difference between responsible criticism that aims for success, and defeatism that refuses to acknowledge anything but failure. (Applause.) Hindsight alone is not wisdom, and second-guessing is not a strategy. (Applause.)

  4. #574
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,931

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Right. As you said, they represent the American people.

    Yes, as we have seen the American people supported the war in Iraq. I don't really see any debate here.
    Sure they did. Just look at all of the yellow ribbons on the backs of their SUVs. As long as they weren't being asked to actually do anything to support that six week or less war, they were for it.

    How many were for a decade of warfare? What about bringing back the draft, how was that idea accepted? Or, even more fun, a surtax to pay for the war? How many were ready to shell out a trillion or a trillion and a half, or however much you believe the war actually cost? A trillion divided among a hundred million taxpayers is ten thousand. I know, let's pass a bill adding ten thousand dollars to each taxpayer's tab, then see if they really support the war effort.
    Making Russia great again!



  5. #575
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Sure they did. Just look at all of the yellow ribbons on the backs of their SUVs. As long as they weren't being asked to actually do anything to support that six week or less war, they were for it.

    How many were for a decade of warfare? What about bringing back the draft, how was that idea accepted? Or, even more fun, a surtax to pay for the war? How many were ready to shell out a trillion or a trillion and a half, or however much you believe the war actually cost? A trillion divided among a hundred million taxpayers is ten thousand. I know, let's pass a bill adding ten thousand dollars to each taxpayer's tab, then see if they really support the war effort.
    Apparently they were for all this if the The President, Congress, the Senate and the people favored it and people should understand the cost. In fact it was a very well run war with a casualty rate that was far below any other war that had been going on for this number of years.

  6. #576
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    George W Bush was not the best speaker but I thought he delivered an excellent speech on January 31, 2006.
    The defeatism Bush spoke of won, and is still winning.

  7. #577
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    38,738

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Right. As you said, they represent the American people.

    Yes, as we have seen the American people supported the war in Iraq. I don't really see any debate here.
    The American people were wrong.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #578
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The American people were wrong.
    Their real crime was re-electing Obama. There is no excuse for this.

  9. #579
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    38,738

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Their real crime was re-electing Obama. There is no excuse for this.
    Lol okay, pal.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #580
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Was George W Bush a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Apparently they were for all this if the The President, Congress, the Senate and the people favored it and people should understand the cost. In fact it was a very well run war with a casualty rate that was far below any other war that had been going on for this number of years.
    I just can't agree with the war because I don't see it ever being "winnable." It's a war that will never end. In fact, it's a "war" that could even create more enemies.

    At first, people supported it because we had just been attacked and were pissed and frightened. Then, people started to realize that it's a really stupid war.

Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •