View Poll Results: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want America to succeed and I don't care if the policies are liberal or conservative.

    12 60.00%
  • Liberal policies are destructive and in that sense cannot succeed.

    8 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    I'm guessing this topic has come up before, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

    I was prompted by this exchange:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    wow the right wingers on here hate their President so much that they appear to be cheering and calling for terrorists to kill Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    who is calling for terrorists to kill Americans? I didn't see this at all in here. What is up with that? Just where do they get this stuff from?
    It's clear to me that some on the Right are more interested in having Obama fail than they are in the national interest. And yes, I'm confident that if some relatively minor disaster were to befall this country … and it could be blamed on actions taken by the Administration, these people would in fact be HAPPY, THRILLED because it would have served their political/ideological interests, although I expect most would not admit that even to themselves.

    Maybe I was just naive years ago, but this seems like a new phenomenon t' me, at least much more widespread. I was skeptical of many policies advanced by Reagan and Bush43, and I was strongly opposed to some. But I sure did hope they would succeed! If big tax cuts for the wealthy fostered a strong economy, then that would be great. If some clearly positive outcome associated with the war in Iraq developed (and I suppose that is still a possibility), I might be willing to agree that it was a good idea.

    I'm a progressive liberal. I have clear policy preferences. But my focus of course is on positive outcomes. Are some of Obama's critics so certain of their attitude toward government, so invested in their ideological bias, that they would rather see the country fail than succeed under liberal policies?


    The classic, of course, is the well-known statement by that corporatist, drug-dealing slob, Rash Limpblow, unapologetically saying "I hope he [Obama] fails." He tried to get around the despicable nature of that argument, first, with an entirely false claim that liberals wanted Bush43 to fail, and secondly, with the ridiculous idea that Americans were being asked to hope for Obama's success because he's an African-American. Here's the infamous Declaration of Impenitence:

    The premise is, what is your "hope." My hope, and please understand me when I say this. I disagree fervently with the people on our side of the aisle who have caved and who say, "Well, I hope he succeeds. We've got to give him a chance." Why? They didn't give Bush a chance in 2000. Before he was inaugurated the search-and-destroy mission had begun. I'm not talking about search-and-destroy, but I've been listening to Barack Obama for a year-and-a-half. I know what his politics are. I know what his plans are, as he has stated them. I don't want them to succeed.

    If I wanted Obama to succeed, I'd be happy the Republicans have laid down. And I would be encouraging Republicans to lay down and support him. Look, what he's talking about is the absorption of as much of the private sector by the US government as possible, from the banking business, to the mortgage industry, the automobile business, to health care. I do not want the government in charge of all of these things. I don't want this to work. So I'm thinking of replying to the guy, "Okay, I'll send you a response, but I don't need 400 words, I need four: I hope he fails." (interruption) What are you laughing at? See, here's the point. Everybody thinks it's outrageous to say. Look, even my staff, "Oh, you can't do that." Why not? Why is it any different, what's new, what is unfair about my saying I hope liberalism fails? Liberalism is our problem. Liberalism is what's gotten us dangerously close to the precipice here. Why do I want more of it? I don't care what the Drive-By story is. I would be honored if the Drive-By Media headlined me all day long: "Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails." Somebody's gotta say it.

    Were the liberals out there hoping Bush succeeded or were they out there trying to destroy him before he was even inaugurated? Why do we have to play the game by their rules? Why do we have to accept the premise here that because of the historical nature of his presidency, that we want him to succeed? This is affirmative action, if we do that. We want to promote failure, we want to promote incompetence, we want to stand by and not object to what he's doing simply because of the color of his skin? Sorry. I got past the historical nature of this months ago. He is the president of the United States, he's my president, he's a human being, and his ideas and policies are what count for me, not his skin color, not his past, not whatever ties he doesn't have to being down with the struggle, all of that's irrelevant to me. We're talking about my country, the United States of America, my nieces, my nephews, your kids, your grandkids. Why in the world do we want to saddle them with more liberalism and socialism? Why would I want to do that? So I can answer it, four words, "I hope he fails." And that would be the most outrageous thing anybody in this climate could say. Shows you just how far gone we are. Well, I know, I know. I am the last man standing.
    Last edited by mmi; 06-08-14 at 04:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?



    Relentless Incompetence: Americans Are Giving Up on Obama.....

    Over the last several months, the American public has had a hard and clear look at the executive talent inside the White House, and has begun to despair for real leadership and competence.

    When leadership fails, people stop following. It appears in the sixth year of the Barack Obama presidency, that moment has arrived.

    CNN’s most recent poll provided a clear indicator of this dynamic in the wake of two major controversies involving military issues. The results showed that Obama did not gain a majority of support for any of twelve issues surveyed from the respondents. In fact, in ten of the twelve issues, majorities disapproved of the President’s performance, and only on one – the environment, usually an overwhelming Democratic strength – did his approval exceed his disapproval, and only barely at 49/45. On the economy and health care, which the poll identified as the top two priorities of its respondents, Obama’s approval ratings sank to 38/61 and 36/63, respectively.

    The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza assigns the change in polling to a crisis of leadership and competence in the White House. “The core of Obama’s appeal,” wrote Cillizza about the 2008 election “was the idea that he would restore competence back to the White House after President George W. Bush's eight years…. Obama openly embraced the idea that he was the anti-Bush on nothing much more than his commitment to putting the best people in the right places within his administration.”

    Now, the series of disastrous scandals and unmistakable incompetence have completely eroded confidence in his leadership, Cillizza argues, pointing to a Pew poll series in which his perceived executive competence went from 70/15 in February 2009 to 43/51 in December 2013.....snip~

    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/relent...100000019.html


    Nothing about Obama’s performance in these scandals and debacles should give anyone confidence in his assurances -- not of security, not of competence, not even of being madder than anyone. The polling numbers suggest that Americans have finally reached a point where the incompetence and dishonesty are just too obvious to ignore any longer......snip~

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/genera...p-obama-3.html

  3. #3
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    It's clear to me that some on the Right are more interested in having Obama fail than they are in the national interest. And yes, I'm confident that if some relatively minor disaster were to befall this country … and it could be blamed on actions taken by the Administration, these people would in fact be HAPPY, THRILLED because it would have served their political/ideological interests, although I expect most would not admit that even to themselves.
    Here's the way this thing works.

    Right now the Republicans are doing anything they can to bash anything Obama or progressive. But sooner or later the GOP will be back in control and we can all sit back and watch the Democrats take their turn.

    Another year of stalemate in DC. Wonderful, huh.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Relentless Incompetence: Americans Are Giving Up on Obama
    I'm guessing you voted, but you didn't answer my more pointed enquiry: Would you rather see the country fail than have liberal policies succeed?

    I figure I've come to know you a little bit in the past few days, so I won't direct this one at you, but do you think some of yer fellow anti-Obamaites secretly hope that some Americans are killed as a result of the Bergdahl exchange because it might come crashing down on the White House? This is similar to a question I've asked for many months: what would his critics have said about Ambassador Stevens before he was murdered? I know what some were saying in the days immediately after his death — that he was an Arab-lovin', pinko, terrorist sympathizer who got just what he deserved. They also tried to urinate on his corpse by claiming that he was a (gasp) homosexual.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Here's the way this thing works.

    Right now the Republicans are doing anything they can to bash anything Obama or progressive. But sooner or later the GOP will be back in control and we can all sit back and watch the Democrats take their turn.

    Another year of stalemate in DC. Wonderful, huh.


    But BobN.....what about Politico? You arent going to say Brown and Epstein are Republicans are ya? We had it up here in the General Political Discussion Forum.


    Special Report: The Obama Paradox


    The ritual started in earnest last fall in the midst of the biggest humiliation of Barack Obama’s presidency, the failure of the health care website. Anytime he heard a sliver of good news, the president reacted the same way: He knocked on the polished cherry wood table in the Roosevelt Room. It’s a small thing, almost a nervous tic, but Obama’s habit of knocking on wood during Obamacare meetings had become notable, something that close advisers talked and even joked about among themselves.

    In interviews with more than 60 people who have had close dealings with Obama — his aides, lawmakers, friends, historians, critics and outside advisers — the portrait emerges of a president shadowed by a deepening awareness that his time and power are finite, and that two-thirds of his presidency is already in the past tense.

    In a departure from a long practice of keeping his personal circle strikingly tight and rarely lingering at official events, Obama has been hosting star-studded dinners that sometimes go on well past midnight and inviting a few newcomers such as former NBA star Alonzo Mourning into his social sphere. He’s playing golf more than any other year, replacing basketball as his go-to sport, partly because of concerns about getting injured.

    The president’s political world is more and more beyond his command. Instead, it is driven by Republicans in Congress, potentially power-shifting Senate races in states where Obama isn’t welcomed to campaign, and to speculation centered on Hillary Clinton’s agenda — not his own. Obama tells anxious Democrats that there is only so much he can do beyond fundraising and better implementing the health care law. But he also has told allies that losing the Senate to Republicans would make his last two years in office unbearable......

    This sense of diminished possibilities has infused his governing strategy.

    THE LOST YEAR AND REVIVING A PRESIDENCY

    The goal late last year could not have been more ambitious: save the presidency.

    Read more: Special Report: The Obama Paradox - Carrie Budoff Brown and Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/genera...-obama-10.html

  6. #6
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    But BobN.....what about Politico? You arent going to say Brown and Epstein are Republicans are ya? We had it up here in the General Political Discussion Forum.
    You're going to see it in the same place when the Republicans take the White House so stick around and pop that corn.




    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    The president’s political world is more and more beyond his command. Instead, it is driven by Republicans in Congress, potentially power-shifting Senate races in states where Obama isn’t welcomed to campaign, and to speculation centered on Hillary Clinton’s agenda — not his own. Obama tells anxious Democrats that there is only so much he can do beyond fundraising and better implementing the health care law. But he also has told allies that losing the Senate to Republicans would make his last two years in office unbearable......
    If I was a Republican I would be trying to get that party to come together because Obama is almost done with 2 terms and if the GOP is not careful they may very well see Hillary in there for at least one term.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    You're going to see it in the same place when the Republicans take the White House so stick around and pop that corn.




    If I was a Republican I would be trying to get that party to come together because Obama is almost done with 2 terms and if the GOP is not careful they may very well see Hillary in there for at least one term.

    Well hopefully we wont have a Republican walking into a Presidency faking like he wanted to work with the other side. Or that he will bring the country together.

    One things for sure another Clinton or Bush wont bring the country together. Just sayin!

  8. #8
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    I agree with both poll options.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I agree with both poll options.
    ??

    If liberal policies cannot succeed (choice #2), how can they possibly be successful (choice #1)?

  10. #10
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: If liberal policies are successful, is that bad for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    ??

    If liberal policies cannot succeed (choice #2), how can they possibly be successful (choice #1)?
    Most, but not all liberal policies are destructive. I want successful policies more than I want conservative policies.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •