View Poll Results: Has Obama been a good President?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    6 6.38%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 21.28%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 4.26%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    52 55.32%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    9 9.57%
  • Im not American, no.

    3 3.19%
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 449

Thread: Has Obama been a good President?

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    I'm quite familiar with the healthcare plan as it has already been in place here in Massachusetts since 2006, IIRC?

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Yes...it was Obama who campaign on the concept that "We are not red states or blue states....We are the united states". Personally I never believed that he meant it. However the message took with many independants and the youth vote. He has lost bot of those groups since.
    Yes, this was all part of his "hope and change" bullcrap. Who would think he would be one of the MOST divisive presidents in recent history?

  3. #233
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm quite familiar with the healthcare plan as it has already been in place here in Massachusetts since 2006, IIRC?
    Something like that. It's actually an old conservative idea. I can understand conservative opposition to it, but 100% conservative opposition to because Obama runs with it? That's suspicious.

  4. #234
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,950

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    You're incorrect in your premise that every president has to deal with the same level of opposition that Obama does.

    Attachment 67167740
    Progressives seem to have very selective memories. Obama has actually not faced as much opposition as President Bush did. The left wing opposition and attacks against Bush were relentless. Obama on the other hand is partially shielded by the fact that he is the first African American president. Many are afraid of being thought of as racist if they oppose or criticize him.

  5. #235
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Something like that. It's actually an old conservative idea. I can understand conservative opposition to it, but 100% conservative opposition to because Obama runs with it? That's suspicious.
    you seem to ignore the difference between the several states and the tenth amendment vs the limited powers of the federal government

    that's a huge difference



  6. #236
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,950

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The Obama administration has, thus far, been known chiefly for inconsistency in policy, lackluster and inefficient performance of same, dubious decisions seemingly made on a whim, and a general narcissism and self-interest that will not be viewed kindly by history.


    In short, not so good. The administration has NOT been quite as much of a disaster as I originally feared it would be... primarily because it has been so ineffective at doing much of anything at all.
    This is what happens when the voters elect a president with no executive experience whatsoever.

  7. #237
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you seem to ignore the difference between the several states and the tenth amendment vs the limited powers of the federal government

    that's a huge difference
    The ACA and the Tenth Amendment : SCOTUSblog

  8. #238
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    1. Seriously? I think Bush accomplished going to war with Iraq and Afghanistan with bipartisan cooperation, among other smaller things. That's QUITE an accomplishment, wouldn't you say? HOW on earth did he manage that?

    Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!! The President works for US! Not the other way around. If I have questions of MY president, I expect him to show ME some respect. He is the elected official who works for me, not the other way around bud.

    2. The correct decision is to NEVER negotiate with terrorists and put a PRICE on the head of Americans, soldiers or civilians. We go in, and we TAKE them back.

    3. And AGAIN, other presidents have managed to come to compromise and do things with bipartisan cooperation.

    Of course we have problems with lobbyists, this is not breaking news!!

    So, all of this to argue that Obama IS a good president? What exactly IS your point anyway?
    1. Why don't you investigate the causes for yourself? There are four primary reasons. The first was is that Bush convinced the American public that war was a good idea because Iraq sponsored terrorism against the United States and possessed weapons of mass destruction (neither true). He was willing to stake his Administration's reputation and legitimacy as a leader on it.

    The second is that Democrats have less compulsion than Republicans to disagree with their opposition; they're a centrist party with a small liberal and conservative wings, tethered together by a slim majority of moderates who would freely vote for a Republican if they had to. 'Disagreeing' with Republicans or asserting themselves against Republican presidents 100% of the time isn't usually in their advantage because even their core voters aren't against Republicans 100%; just 60-70% of the time.

    The third was that corporate America was intrigued by the possibilities of the war; a democratic Iraq could be a lucrative source of trade and capital investment, compared to an autocratic Iraq whose markets were closed due to sanctions. Corporate America enjoys representation in both parties.

    The fourth is that the military and military industrial complex were intrigued by the possibilities of the war; an Iraq powered by democracy and Western modernization could be employed as a cats paw against Iran and help America influence the political future of the region.

    By the way these last two reasons had some merit; however, Corporate America is out of control and frequently imposes on the safety and generosity of the broader American public. Policies that make them more powerful should be eyed very critically by the average American on the street. The last was even more promising, but the war was mismanaged; its goals may have even been unobtainable from the beginning.

    As for the other point, I'm not wrong: a leader humbling himself before the people is an interesting exercise that all of them should be subjected to just for the sake of experiencing what it is like to be humble and small, but on the whole leaders that defer to those beneath them can't command the respect they need to lead; making a leader debase themselves or challenging and embarrassing them publicly undermines the entire point of having one at all. Like having a CEO around so you can blame him for when things aren't going well, and for no other reason than that.

    2. You can't go in because (1) you don't know where they are (2) they can (and will) execute their hostages. Even if you know (1), the complexities of (2) might put the strike team in an area so dangerous they are at risk from assault at all sides, killing every single one of them and the hostage. The Taliban knows this, so they can afford to drive a hard bargain; terrorists usually know how to get the reactions they want (for example, Osama bin Laden wanted to draw the American military into the Middle East to inflame the region with anti-Americanism and compel Muslims to rise up in arms against Western-backed governments; Bush gave them exactly what they wanted). If Obama had allowed the soldier to die, then the Taliban could have used that to their advantage as well; it proves that America can't or wont do what is necessary to protect their own, a powerful message of propaganda that would have rattled Afghanistan's conviction that America can be a good ally.

    At the end of the day, you can't refuse to negotiate with people who have the power to cause you harm *unless* you have an unqualified power to stop them. Despite its enormity and strength, the ability of the United States to fight back against terrorism is not unqualified.

    3. Because of the political situation. For example, Abraham Lincoln was able to get the Democrats in the North to cooperate with him because the branch of the party that opposed him most fiercely had been incorporated into the Confederate States of America; an entire wing of Congress that had opposed Republican policies for decades disappeared overnight, leaving their chairs empty and leaving a power vacuum giving Lincoln more strength to control Congress than he would have otherwise enjoyed. Lincoln's presidency if the South hadn't seceded from the Union would strongly resemble Obama's, because every southern representative would have undermined him in every way they could until the situation changed and Republican presidents became less dangerous to their future; once they danger decreased, they could cooperate again.

    Political situations differ from the time period; at times, it is useful and fully consistent with Republican goals to cooperate with Democrats. Until their party can safely be in a position to win the presidency again, however, it is highly in their interest to undermine the plans of any Democratic president that gets in their line of sight. Every time period has its own unique political situations, its particular set of the "realities of power."
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Something like that. It's actually an old conservative idea. I can understand conservative opposition to it, but 100% conservative opposition to because Obama runs with it? That's suspicious.
    What's suspicious is how the government wants to force healthcare down our throats. IT should be a choice. OR, insurance companies should have to reimburse us for SOME of our unspent monies that we paid into it. Good LORD! Obama is an insurance companies BEST friend.

  10. #240
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,950

    Re: Has Obama been a good President?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Agreed.

    For example, the sitting President has pretty much zero influence over gas prices, but they still get the credit if prices go down or the blame if prices go up.

    The sitting President has a little more influence over the economy in general, but not near the influence that most people seem to think. It's a minor influence and usually delayed in effect.
    Unfortunately a president does have influence over gas prices. For instance, Obama holding up the Keystone Pipeline.

Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •