View Poll Results: Less Government or Better Government?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less Government

    34 49.28%
  • Better Government

    35 50.72%
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 393

Thread: Less Government vs. Better Government

  1. #21
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Smaller government is better government.
    If smaller government is better, then no government must be best. That is the logical conclusion of your argument.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. What I said was that if you focus on making government small, rather than effective, then your goal is not to solve society's problems. Which may or may not be in line with your ideology.
    Its you who is mistaken. Your bias is so complete-that you dont even recognize a neutral question.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    If smaller government is better, then no government must be best. That is the logical conclusion of your argument.
    Actually thats the tragic conclusion of your flawed logic. Im a conservative who believes a certain minimal amount of govt is appropriate. Im not an anarchist, and you need to do some reading-because you are simply spouting your pre-programmed "thoughts" right now, and nobody is buying it.

  4. #24
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    But the primary error in your query here is the presumption that government is the best way to solve most problems.
    No, my presumption is that cooperation and collective problem solving are required for certain problems. How do you solve a national problem without government?

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    No, my presumption is that cooperation and collective problem solving are required for certain problems. How do you solve a national problem without government?
    People.

  6. #26
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Actually thats the tragic conclusion of your flawed logic. Im a conservative who believes a certain minimal amount of govt is appropriate. Im not an anarchist, and you need to do some reading-because you are simply spouting your pre-programmed "thoughts" right now, and nobody is buying it.
    I got it. You believe that government should begin and end where you want it to.

  7. #27
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    People.
    What do you think the government is?

  8. #28
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,849

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Which do you feel is more important: A government that is smaller, or a government that can solve important problems more effectively?
    I want a smaller federal government that doesn't feel the need to solve every damned problem.

    We have local and state governments to handle the local issues. Let them do what they do best.

    And every damned issue is NOT a federal issue.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    What do you think the government is?
    An instrument of force.

  10. #30
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    First assumption: we are talking about some entirely legitimate, truly democratic (and yet firmly dedicated to the principles of individual freedom, somehow) government. Splendid.

    Now: What exactly is this thing, "Government" supposed to do? How is it different from other parts of our society?

    Oh, we know how it is different: It has the monopoly on the use of force, on coercion. Churches, AA meetings or birdwatcher clubs have no power to press you into anything they consider important; compare with IRS, EPA, FBI, etc.

    Right from the beginning, obviously, this is not about "size" vs. "function". This is all about what that function ought to be.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •