View Poll Results: Less Government or Better Government?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less Government

    34 49.28%
  • Better Government

    35 50.72%
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 393

Thread: Less Government vs. Better Government

  1. #251
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Your argument is so confused, so out of touch with the context of the argument.

    The argument at hand is whether or not the effectiveness of govt can be measured.

    Try actually addressing the context.
    Governments role was initially and should be limited in scope. An effective government is one which lets people live their lives without intrusion into their daily lives, yet fulfills the obligation of protection both domestically and overseas. Having a need to measure government effectiveness simply states to me there's too much government.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #252
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Sure it can. I believe the greatest struggle you'd have is defining 'effectiveness.'
    Achem....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Complete and utter BS spouted by those with an agenda to not examine what form of govt is best.....because they are so bent on not wanting any restrictions upon their greed.

    The life outcomes of the least fortunate is very often a measurement of the effectiveness of government.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #253
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    OMG I can't believe you posted that garbage. There is nothing that brings the "betterment of man" than to teach him to be responsible for his own choices in life and to allow him to pay the consequences for them. In doing so he learns. To not allow a man that life lesson destroys him.
    Talk about garbage! You completely avoid facing up to your own conspiracy crap......while still avoiding the main topic, whether govt can or cannot create an environment for the betterment of man.....and whether this can be objectively measured.

    Your argument is still stuck on the stupid notion that we have fewer working age adults in the US!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #254
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Governments role was initially and should be limited in scope.
    Humans were "initially" limited in scope, you are simply defending Luddites.

    Again, you cannot, will not address the premise......can the effectiveness of govt be measured.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #255
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Achem....
    What part of "Having a need to measure government effectiveness simply states to me there's too much government." is confusing you?

    And do please use my proper DP name from this moment on.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #256
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    What part of "Having a need to measure government effectiveness simply states to me there's too much government." is confusing you?.
    As with all of your replies to me in this thread, this is a thoughtless post. Simply saying "less govt is best" IS a value judgement on effectiveness. Your statement is in conflict with itself, thoughtless. The "need" is implied in the judgement....duh.

    This is just an alternative to not wanting to make an examination.....while doing so. It is thoughtless.

    And do please use my proper DP name from this moment on.
    Again, you have this idea that stupid, sophomoric humor is a substitute for thoughtful argument. Thoughtlessness strikes again.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 06-10-14 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #257
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    As with all of your replies to me in this thread, this is a thoughtless post. Simply saying "less govt is best" IS a value judgement on effectiveness.
    Yet your asking about measurement techniques. My answer is simple: If you have to measure you have too much.

    Again I'll ask, what is confusing you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is just an alternative to not wanting to make an examination.....while doing so. It is thoughtless.
    The only alternative I'm providing is a view into the obvious, which for some reason you cannot see.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #258
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Achem....
    I fail to see why the "life outcomes" of the "least fortunate" is a meaningful measurement of government effectiveness. The primary reason for this failure is the vagueness of the the terms "life outcomes" and "least fortunate." What do you mean when you say "life outcomes?" What is your basis for determining who is "least fortunate" and how will their relative impoverishment be judged? Because of this lack of clarity, meaningful analysis of any potentially causal relationship between government activity and "life outcomes of the least fortunate" is impossible. Most of all, the justification for judging the effectiveness of a government by the least fortunate in society is making a broad assumption that everyone agrees that primary role of government is to improve the quality of life for the least privelidged.

    I might accept your measurement of effectiveness if you were looking at the relative health of a society. But I think that your simple definition is not suited to determining a measurement of government effectiveness.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yet your (sic) asking about measurement techniques. My answer is simple: If you have to measure you have too much.
    FFS!

    Your streak of thoughtless comment continues! "Too much" as compared to "less"....is inherently a measurement! You are eating your tail, your argument is consuming itself, reduced to absurdity!

    But then that is what all your arguments are......absurd, sophomoric.

    Again I'll ask, what is confusing you?
    The only alternative I'm providing is a view into the obvious, which for some reason you cannot see.
    You are confused, arguing for Luddites, presenting absurd argument that self destructs over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #260
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    FFS!

    Your streak of thoughtless comment continues! "Too much" as compared to "less"....is inherently a measurement! You are eating your tail, your argument is consuming itself, reduced to absurdity!

    But the that is what all your arguments are......absurd, sophomoric.
    So you have no substance to contribute ... got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are confused, arguing for Luddites, presenting absurd argument that self destructs over and over.
    So you refuse to give an answer as to what is confusing you and wish to continue blathering nonsense. Let me know when you want to speak coherently and I'll waste more time educating you.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •