View Poll Results: Less Government or Better Government?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less Government

    34 49.28%
  • Better Government

    35 50.72%
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 393

Thread: Less Government vs. Better Government

  1. #151
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    I want better government. There are effective governments out there, just look at Scandinavia. Would you rather live in Norway (big but effective government) or Haiti (very, very small government)?

    That said, I think that a better government is going to be much more decentralized with many of its functions than the one we have.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #152
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,217

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Agree that our current government should be much more decentralized. I think many on the Right take federalism too far though, just as many on the Left go too far the other way.

  3. #153
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    I don't think that "both" is unreasonable.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #154
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I can agree, kind of.... However larger entities are not nimble nor efficient. Think about the cost and time involved with just providing for oversight and accountability measures. I some times wonder if ignoring minor fraud would be cheaper than compliance regulations and oversight measures.... just a thought.
    Larger compared to what? That's the key. While larger and smaller are not subjective they are relative and contextual based. So depending upon the starting point yes indeed larger can end up being more nimble and efficient than smaller. So the tip over point where continued growth starts becoming more inefficient can vary and be dependent upon a variety of factors. There is also such a point as too small within government. Of course there is also that point of how are we defining smaller and larger in context to government.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Complete and utter BS spouted by those with an agenda to not examine what form of govt is best.....because they are so bent on not wanting any restrictions upon their greed.

    The life outcomes of the least fortunate is very often a measurement of the effectiveness of government.
    The BS is yours. "Better" and "Worse" are purely subjective terms. You can't get around that. Period. So while you may find a certain size or a certain type of government better, that doesn't mean that everyone finds it better. And vice versa.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  5. #155
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Complete and utter BS spouted by those with an agenda to not examine what form of govt is best.....because they are so bent on not wanting any restrictions upon their greed.

    The life outcomes of the least fortunate is very often a measurement of the effectiveness of government.
    Restrictions upon greed?

    What's that supposed to mean? Who are you or why would anyone want to advocate restrictions on other's ambitions?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  6. #156
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    So what you are essentially telling me is that small government is incapable of corruption? I believe there is some African dictators that would snicker at that notion.
    No that is not essentially what I was saying.

    I never mentoined corruption until now you did. I meant what I said.

    As far as corruoption is concerned a smaller government is just as likely to have corruption going on within it as a large government.

    This still gives people an advantage for small government however as there is simply lless corruption due to the fact that there are fewer people in a smaller government to succomb to corruption. In addition it is easy to find and expose corruoption in a smaller government simply because it is harder to hide and fewer places to look for it. When there are fewer corrupt people and fewer places for them to hide they are easier to catch.

  7. #157
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I want better government. There are effective governments out there, just look at Scandinavia. Would you rather live in Norway (big but effective government) or Haiti (very, very small government)?

    That said, I think that a better government is going to be much more decentralized with many of its functions than the one we have.
    It is very debateble that Norway or any scandanavian government is better.

    Your choices are not valid as they are too limited and other choices exist. A very small government in a first world nation like the USA works best.

  8. #158
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    It is very debateble that Norway or any scandanavian government is better.

    Your choices are not valid as they are too limited and other choices exist. A very small government in a first world nation like the USA works best.
    There are no very small governments in first world fully developed nations. Perhaps that should tell you something...
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #159
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Which do you feel is more important: A government that is smaller, or a government that can solve important problems more effectively?
    That is an interesting dichotomy. What in the world makes you think that a larger government can solve important problems more effectively?

  10. #160
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    There are no very small governments in first world fully developed nations. Perhaps that should tell you something...
    No nation is fully developed. Development is on going.

    No evidence proves or suggests big government is necessary for it.

    Much suggests the opposite.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •