View Poll Results: Less Government or Better Government?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less Government

    34 49.28%
  • Better Government

    35 50.72%
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 393

Thread: Less Government vs. Better Government

  1. #101
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    for years I have noted that lots of "conservative" justices do what the FDR pet monkeys did not do

    respect precedent. If you actually had a background in legal scholarship, you probably would be aware of what is commonly known as "the leftward ratchet of jurisprudence"

    leftwing judges ratchet case law leftward. Subsequent 'conservative' judges respect that as precedent and cement it into the jurisdictional fabric. Then along come some more left-wingers and they crank things leftward

    one of the reasons why Bork scared liberals was he noted that bad precedent should be stricken even if there was years of reliance upon it

    sadly "faint hearted originalists" argue that unconstitutional stuff that has been around awhile has to remain because the upheaval caused by uprooting all the FDR nonsense would be too traumatic.
    Instead of showing how public accommodation is wrong, by citing con argument, you instead distract with "cons are weak azz bitches who accept precedent".

    Too bad, so sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #102
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Instead of showing how public accommodation is wrong, by citing con argument, you instead distract with "cons are weak azz bitches who accept precedent".

    Too bad, so sad.
    the commerce clause was not intended to give the federal government jurisdiction over what should be a state matter.



  3. #103
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the commerce clause was not intended to give the federal government jurisdiction over what should be a state matter.

    Wash, rinse, repeat..

    Heart of Atlanta Motel Inc. v. United States, 379 U.S. 241 (1964)


    The U.S. Supreme Court held that Congress acted well within its jurisdiction of the Commerce Clause in passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, thereby upholding the act's Title II in question. While it might have been possible for Congress to pursue other methods for abolishing racial discrimination, the way in which Congress did so, according to the Court, was perfectly valid. It found no merit in the arguments pursuant to the Thirteenth Amendment, finding it difficult to conceive that such an amendment might be applicable in restraining civil rights legislation. Having observed that 75% of the Heart of Atlanta Motel's clientele came from out-of-state, and that it was strategically located near Interstates 75 and 85 as well as two major Georgia highways, the Court found that the business clearly affected interstate commerce. Accordingly, it upheld the permanent injunction issued by the district court and required the Heart of Atlanta Motel to receive business from clientele of all races.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    "the leftward ratchet of jurisprudence"
    Yeah, and His will be done.

    >>one of the reasons why Bork scared liberals was he noted that bad precedent should be stricken even if there was years of reliance upon it

    Certainly not the main reason. "Coke can" Clarence is an embarrassment, but Pork was much more dangerous. A man without any allegiance to the Constitution, imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the commerce clause was not intended to give the federal government jurisdiction over what should be a state matter.
    I'm not a lawyer as you guys seem to be, but isn't there a Fourteenth Amendment equal protection element to this?

  5. #105
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Any sensible reading of my post makes it obvious I was talking about the regulation of legal drugs. What are you smoking?

    >>I love how you think that government is the reason non of those things have happened. Their should be a level regulations on business. I think you are confusing less government with no government.

    I'd say I know what yer doing, as I've already indicated. You want public safety, but you don't want to admit that government plays an indispensable role in securing it. My guess is you also don't want to pay for it.
    LOL, Min Safety regulations is part of the General Welfare. Anything beyond that is an over stepping of Government. Paying Taxes is a necessary evil.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Min Safety regulations is part of the General Welfare. Anything beyond that is an over stepping of Government. Paying Taxes is a necessary evil.
    So you don't mind having people killed in factory fires, auto and plane crashes, unsafe X, Y, and Z, not to mention A through W?

    I'll quickly admit that you want smaller government. You want an END to the less than 10% of the federal budget that goes to one form or another of (gasp, shudder) welfare. You figure it doesn't benefit you, so if low-income elderly and disabled folks and children in low-income households are seriously malnourished, live in terrible slum housing, or die prematurely from inadequate medical care, … eff it!

    LOL about that.


    +++++

    Ah, I see. "Min safety regulations" must mean "minimum." I thought you were going for "mine."

    Well, sorry you think the regs are excessive. Get the votes t' cut 'em.

  7. #107
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wash, rinse, repeat..

    Heart of Atlanta Motel Inc. v. United States, 379 U.S. 241 (1964)


    The U.S. Supreme Court held that Congress acted well within its jurisdiction of the Commerce Clause in passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, thereby upholding the act's Title II in question. While it might have been possible for Congress to pursue other methods for abolishing racial discrimination, the way in which Congress did so, according to the Court, was perfectly valid. It found no merit in the arguments pursuant to the Thirteenth Amendment, finding it difficult to conceive that such an amendment might be applicable in restraining civil rights legislation. Having observed that 75% of the Heart of Atlanta Motel's clientele came from out-of-state, and that it was strategically located near Interstates 75 and 85 as well as two major Georgia highways, the Court found that the business clearly affected interstate commerce. Accordingly, it upheld the permanent injunction issued by the district court and required the Heart of Atlanta Motel to receive business from clientele of all races.
    I can only conclude that you are not interested in actually understanding what I wrote. I have conceded that after the ND the CC was mutated far beyond what the intent of that clause was. You seem not to be able to fathom that fact



  8. #108
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Yeah, and His will be done.

    >>one of the reasons why Bork scared liberals was he noted that bad precedent should be stricken even if there was years of reliance upon it

    Certainly not the main reason. "Coke can" Clarence is an embarrassment, but Pork was much more dangerous. A man without any allegiance to the Constitution, imo.



    I'm not a lawyer as you guys seem to be, but isn't there a Fourteenth Amendment equal protection element to this?
    No allegiance to bad precedent

    and no, I never assumed you were a lawyer. thanks for the honesty



  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    No allegiance to bad precedent
    I figure Pork would be completely at ease with some sort of coup. I base that on his actions as Solicitor General in the Nixon administration during the so-called Saturday Night Massacre.

    >>and no, I never assumed you were a lawyer. thanks for the honesty

    I didn't say anything to indicate that I thought you had. I was just being forthcoming so that my (unanswered) question about the Fourteenth Amendment could be seen in its proper context.

    Imo, yer views on Supreme Court precedent and the important role it plays in establishing a stable jurisprudential environment in this country make it clear that a law degree doesn't help much when it comes to political judgement. If court precedent should be discarded, I'd say the Congress should act.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,855

    Re: Less Government vs. Better Government

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Ah, a division at the national border. So you support closing yer local police and fire departments.
    Oh...great!! Here we have another liberal who's only ability is to jump to some illogical and unsupported extremes.

    Get back to me when you've shed yourself of such tendencies. We'll talk.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •