View Poll Results: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

    51 73.91%
  • Disagree

    7 10.14%
  • Other

    11 15.94%
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 247

Thread: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

  1. #71
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Maybe the enthusiasm he had when he volunteered disappearedwhen he faced the cruel reality of what was going on in Afghanistan.
    Well then it's a good thing for him that he probably only signed up for 4 years of active duty. However, he signed up, willfully and intentionally and with eyes open. You don't get to betray your country and put your team mates in grave danger just because you later wished you hadn't.

  2. #72
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Obviously referring to Prisoners of war.


    • Agree
    • Disagree
    • Other
    I don't know about your history or experience Pete, but I've been on actual missions where we went in and got a guy out of terrorist hands by force, and none of those missions required giving up terrorists. It has been released by the DOD that they had "eyes on" this soldier for weeks leading up to the trade. If they knew where he was, they could have sent guys in to get him. I want to know - why not? Maybe it's because an AWOL soldier wasn't worth putting special operator's lives in danger for Obama? Maybe it was because Obama planned on giving these guys up all along and this gave them a chance to get Bergdahl back at the same time? Who knows??? I sure don't, but I damn sure want to know.

    We went in and got Noriega, after we sent SOF in to get a CIA operative out of his hands on the very first day of that conflict. We went in and got two of our guys in Somalia that were being held by Al Qaeda. We went in and got Jessica Lynch in Iraq. Hell, we even went into another sovereign nation (a military invasion by international law) that was supposedly an ally and got Bin Laden, without giving up anyone.

    No, we don't leave anyone behind, if we can. There are guys that walked off their posts in Vietnam and are still there today. There are guys that walked off their post in many conflicts, and this guy wasn't the first. However, this is the first time this country traded high ranking terrorists for anyone... not just a soldier that went AWOL.

    This action by the Obama Administration has put every US citizen abroad in danger of being grabbed to use as ransom for a trade to get more terrorists released.

    For all US citizens that are overseas, the world just became a much, MUCH, more dangerous place. All US citizens, not just those in the military.

    What about Robert Levinson in Iran? He's a CIA operative who has now reached the dubious distinction of being the longest held hostage in US history. Why have we left him behind, now that the government has admitted he was working for them? Why??? Because it doesn't work out that we can always get them back, that's why. You don't give up our sovereign security to get anyone back... never.

    Saying we leave no man behind is great. And, when at all possible, it's true. But, it doesn't always work out that way.
    Last edited by Beaudreaux; 06-05-14 at 07:42 PM. Reason: corrected Iraq for Iran regarding Private Lynch - typo

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I don't know about your history or experience Pete, but I've been on actual missions where we went in and got a guy out of terrorist hands by force, and none of those missions required giving up terrorists. It has been released by the DOD that they had "eyes on" this soldier for weeks leading up to the trade. If they knew where he was, they could have sent guys in to get him. I want to know - why not? Maybe it's because an AWOL soldier wasn't worth putting special operator's lives in danger for Obama? Maybe it was because Obama planned on giving these guys up all along and this gave them a chance to get Bergdahl back at the same time? Who knows??? I sure don't, but I damn sure want to know.

    We went in and got Noriega, after we sent SOF in to get a CIA operative out of his hands on the very first day of that conflict. We went in and got two of our guys in Somalia that were being held by Al Qaeda. We went in and got Jessica Lynch in Iran. Hell, we even went into another sovereign nation (a military invasion by international law) that was supposedly an ally and got Bin Laden, without giving up anyone.

    No, we don't leave anyone behind, if we can. There are guys that walked off their posts in Vietnam and are still there today. There are guys that walked off their post in many conflicts, and this guys wasn't the first. However, this is the first time this country traded high ranking terrorists for anyone... not just a soldier that went AWOL.

    This action by the Obama Administration has put every US citizen abroad in danger of being grabbed to use as ransom for a trade to get more terrorists released.

    For all US citizens that are overseas, the world just became a much, MUCH, more dangerous place. All US citizens, not just those in the military.

    What about Robert Levinson in Iran? He's a CIA operative who has now reached the dubious distinction of being the longest held hostage in US history. Why have we left him behind, now that the government has admitted he was working for them? Why??? Because it doesn't work out that we can get them back, that's why. You don't give up our sovereign security to get anyone back... never.

    Saying we leave no man behind is great. And, when at all possible, it's true. But, it doesn't always work out that way.


    Edit: Copy/paste this in Word and send it to your newspaper for their Letters to the Editor column. Great stuff.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Words like "thin" and "reaching", "hyperbole", "inapplicable", and "ludicrous" spring to mind for some reason in this thread...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #75
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You also do not negotiate with terrorists and I think that is the greater danger...to the country and to our soldiers, current and future.
    Sure we do. See Reagan.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well then it's a good thing for him that he probably only signed up for 4 years of active duty. However, he signed up, willfully and intentionally and with eyes open. You don't get to betray your country and put your team mates in grave danger just because you later wished you hadn't.
    We don't know what motivated bergdahl, but I would rather give him a chance to speak and have his actions be judged at a court marshal, not by the gossip of his soldiers not speaking under oath.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  7. #77
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,497

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    We were told years ago by the US government that if Americans traveled over seas we were on our own. I agree with that 100%. I have been abroad as much as any poor person, and I didn't expect anything. I don't think the fighting forces of the US should have to risk their lives to rescue John Q. Millionnnaire who decided to go to Cambodia by way of North Korea and ends up in the clink there.
    My post was strictly about the military since that was how I read the question the OP raised. But since you mentioned civilians I disagree. One of the legitimate functions of government is to protect it's citizens overseas, that's one of the prime responsibilities of embassies and consulates. The government can certainly say "if you go to X and get in trouble there isn't much we can do for you" but even then it has a responsibility to do what little it can.

    Personally I wouldn't expect anything either. When I've travelled abroad I've always assumed that I was on my own. However, that doesn't relieve the government of it's responsibility to help it's citizens when overseas.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #78
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well then it's a good thing for him that he probably only signed up for 4 years of active duty. However, he signed up, willfully and intentionally and with eyes open. You don't get to betray your country and put your team mates in grave danger just because you later wished you hadn't.
    As much as I would love for this to turn into an successful intelligence operation . . . I am afraid you nailed it on the head. Unfortunate for us (guys and gals who actually served). As I said in another thread on this subject . . . I personally feel insulted. I've often stated that perception can be everything . . . in this case . . . it is.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It doesn't obviously refer to prisononers of war to me, though. To me, it applies to every soldier in trouble. Injured on the battlefield? We won't leave you, buddy. We're here. Helicopter shot down behind enemy lines? We won't leave you, buddy. We're coming.

    In fact, as I think about it, it hardly applies to prisoners of war.
    I think history says otherwise, to a degree. In WWII we went out and capture German and Japanese civilians and traded them for prisoners. Few people know about it.

    That said, I'm not sure I'd classify anyone in this a true POW. This is very different than the norm.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,497

    Re: We Donít Leave Our Men or Women in Uniform Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    Unless his cohorts in the military say he deserted. Which they did and have. Then there are those six fellow soldiers killed by the Taliban while searching for the deserting piece of ****. He was a GD turncoat who is responsible for SIX deaths. He deserves one thing, a firing squad.
    I'm sorry but that's incorrect. He must be tried and convicted of desertion. Same as you must be tried and convicted of any crime in the civilian judicial system. Or would you be okay with being called a murderer just because some of your cohorts said you were on TV?

    He deserves a firing squad if and when he's convicted and sentenced to one. Not one second before.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •