View Poll Results: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 52.63%
  • No

    16 42.11%
  • Not sure

    2 5.26%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Some have mentioned the "coincidence" of this happening just at the right time to push the current VA scandal off the headlines and out of people's consciousness. Do you believe that this was timed specifically for that reason?

    I do not. There are many issues that I do question regarding this person and his actions & loyalties, but the timing is not one of them. Primarily because these things take time to negotiate, and the Taliban aren't exactly quick and easy to deal with. I believe that this has been in the works for months, and couldn't be put together in a week.

    Now, if you were to say that it was put together by the administration to give the administration a positive accomplishment to point at in a general sense, I can buy into that. The timing with the VA scandal is, in my opinion, legitimate coincidence.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Well let's see. They couldn't wait 30 more day for Congressional approval (after waiting 5 years already)

    So...YES!

    BTW: the Admin. didn't directly deal with the Taliban, it was through an intermediary. (Qatar)
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #3
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    As is the case with most everything this administration does, it was politically expedient.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,915

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    If you believe in coincidences, this certainly was a fortuitous one, wasn't it?

    Or not...because now there is going to be legit argument about the 5-for-1, especially this one (at least as it's beginning to appear). Was this a good-sense decision? I think that across the aisles, many folks are going to say no.

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    I have a LOT of questions regarding this deal. The timing is not one of them.

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Well let's see. They couldn't wait 30 more day for Congressional approval (after waiting 5 years already)

    So...YES!

    BTW: the Admin. didn't directly deal with the Taliban, it was through an intermediary. (Qatar)
    Yes, I know... which takes even more time, which bolsters my conclusion that it wasn't hammered together in a week.


    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    If you believe in coincidences, this certainly was a fortuitous one, wasn't it?

    Or not...because now there is going to be legit argument about the 5-for-1, especially this one (at least as it's beginning to appear). Was this a good-sense decision? I think that across the aisles, many folks are going to say no.
    If what is being said is correct, I agree it was not a good deal/decision. But, coincidences can happen in politics as well, so yes, it was/is fortuitous.

    FWIW, I don't think the VA scandal is going away, either. In fact, it may linger on the back burner and come back to burn them anyway.

    ETA: Keep in mind that I am questioning only the accusation of timing. Nothing else. I have serious reservations and issues with other aspects, but will comment on those in other threads.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I have a LOT of questions regarding this deal. The timing is not one of them.
    It hasn't been peculiar for this admin. to do their deeds on a Friday or on the weekend to avoid prime time or next day coverage.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed? Some have mentioned the "coincidence" of this happening just at the right time to push the current VA scandal off the headlines and out of people's consciousness. Do you believe that this was timed specifically for that reason? I do not. There are many issues that I do question regarding this person and his actions & loyalties, but the timing is not one of them. Primarily because these things take time to negotiate, and the Taliban aren't exactly quick and easy to deal with. I believe that this has been in the works for months, and couldn't be put together in a week. Now, if you were to say that it was put together by the administration to give the administration a positive accomplishment to point at in a general sense, I can buy into that. The timing with the VA scandal is, in my opinion, legitimate coincidence.
    So your premise is the VA scandal would have died in 30 days so the Obama Administration acted quickly to use Berdahl?

    Or is it the GOP couldn't keep the VA scandal in the public eye for 30 days so the Obama Administration acted?

    Or perhaps the Veterans would just shrug and get on with life if the spotlight is turned away for a day or two?

    Perhaps you think all those never served chest thumpers on how our vets should get the very best, will look at any excuse to go back to ignoring Service to Country if given ANY excuse to do so?

    Maybe, just maybe you think the GOP won't leap up and down and try to use the 30 notification as yet another reason to pummel the Obama Administration?

    Now maybe because the negotiations have been going on for so long and had several near misses the Obama Administration decided they couldn't wait out the 30 day notification period because either the Taliban would change their minds, or a CON or two will blow the deal by leaking it from his CON soapbox so a deal will never be struck.

    If the Obama Administration was going to try and deflect from a scandal the Benghazi scandal should have drawn the prisoner swap, given the laundry list of scandals the CONs are pushing it seems so arbitrary the VA scandal would be the one they picked to 'cover for'.

    (Do note when the Reagan Administration violated law in the Iran/Contra deal so little was said by the CONs on that 'lawlessness'. Those that were charged got off for a host of reasons, from refusal to declassify documents for a defense to flat out pardons once the VP became President)

    I don't see this as an attempt to deflect from the VA scandal, that will survive being off the front page for a day or two- (the CONs are helping keep the VA story off the front page by pushing the story about 6 men killed searching for Berdahl and the soldier's buddies saying the prisoner was nothing more than a deserter.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    It hasn't been peculiar for this admin. to do their deeds on a Friday or on the weekend to avoid prime time or next day coverage.
    Well, I don't consider that in terms of "politically timed".

    Don't know what to tell you, but it's not been peculiar for this admin, other admin, businesses, people campaigning, sports teams, etc to do that. I don't think of that as "politically timed" but rather a PR notion, which is different. The Obama Administration is hardly the first group, or even administration, to utilize end of week announcements of things.

    When I see questions regarding political timing I'm thinking in terms of to help with an election, to get another story off the front pages, etc. Not releasing something on a friday

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, I don't consider that in terms of "politically timed".

    Don't know what to tell you, but it's not been peculiar for this admin, other admin, businesses, people campaigning, sports teams, etc to do that. I don't think of that as "politically timed" but rather a PR notion, which is different. The Obama Administration is hardly the first group, or even administration, to utilize end of week announcements of things.

    When I see questions regarding political timing I'm thinking in terms of to help with an election, to get another story off the front pages, etc. Not releasing something on a friday
    Bingo! You understand the premise of the thread.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •