View Poll Results: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 52.63%
  • No

    16 42.11%
  • Not sure

    2 5.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    57

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Some have mentioned the "coincidence" of this happening just at the right time to push the current VA scandal off the headlines and out of people's consciousness. Do you believe that this was timed specifically for that reason?

    I do not. There are many issues that I do question regarding this person and his actions & loyalties, but the timing is not one of them. Primarily because these things take time to negotiate, and the Taliban aren't exactly quick and easy to deal with. I believe that this has been in the works for months, and couldn't be put together in a week.

    Now, if you were to say that it was put together by the administration to give the administration a positive accomplishment to point at in a general sense, I can buy into that. The timing with the VA scandal is, in my opinion, legitimate coincidence.
    Itr did push the VA off the radar, but at what cost. The Rose Garden ceremony with Papa Mullah Bergdahl? The anti-American emails between parents and baby Taliban Bergdahl? The political damage to himself...Sen Feinstein said the prez lied. The fact that this guy WALKED away and surrendered to the Taliban? The fact that another soldier was killed trying to get him back?

    No, this is much worse than the VA for the president. He is absolutely tone deaf.

  2. #22
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Some have mentioned the "coincidence" of this happening just at the right time to push the current VA scandal off the headlines and out of people's consciousness. Do you believe that this was timed specifically for that reason?

    I do not. There are many issues that I do question regarding this person and his actions & loyalties, but the timing is not one of them. Primarily because these things take time to negotiate, and the Taliban aren't exactly quick and easy to deal with. I believe that this has been in the works for months, and couldn't be put together in a week.

    Now, if you were to say that it was put together by the administration to give the administration a positive accomplishment to point at in a general sense, I can buy into that. The timing with the VA scandal is, in my opinion, legitimate coincidence.
    Now that's just silly. The administration is not running away from the VA scandal at all. It is as angry about it as the rest of the country. It doesn't hurt the Democrats politically, either, I think. It's a VA Dept scandal. Not a WH scandal.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    This deal or a similar one has been discussed for years so setting it up probably didn't require more than a couple of phone calls.

    From the sounds of things the administration didn't consult with anybody before they pulled the trigger (though they may wish they had at this point) so it has all the hallmarks of something that got pulled out of the fridge and put on the table in a great big hurry. Based on that I don't for a minute believe it was a coincidence. It looks like a rush job from the turd polishing department that exploded unexpectedly.
    You make it sounds like a used car deal.

    "Hey, Abdullah, you still got that 5 yr old model? Yeah? I'll take it for the 5 grand like we talked about!"

    No offense, doesn't sound plausible to me.
    Still not sure I agree with the premise that it was put together quickly, but I could maybe buy this as a potential scenario...

    The deal had been in the works for months, never with an agreement. The Taliban wants 5 specific people in exchange for one. We say no. We're at am impasse. Then, we suddenly get motivated and say, "Ok, we'll give you what you want, but it has to be done RIGHT NOW! You have three days to decide. Take it or leave it."

    That's plausible. Unlikely, but plausible.


    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Now that's just silly. The administration is not running away from the VA scandal at all. It is as angry about it as the rest of the country. It doesn't hurt the Democrats politically, either, I think. It's a VA Dept scandal. Not a WH scandal.
    It hurts the Dems only because they're the ones in the WH at the moment. VA mismanagement goes back decades and covers all administrations and parties, but the one in the WH when something happens gets the good luck of good stuff happening or the bad luck of a scandal.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Advisor plutonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    546

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    it was not politically timed because it had a negative effect on the prez....

  5. #25
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    It hasn't been peculiar for this admin. to do their deeds on a Friday or on the weekend to avoid prime time or next day coverage.
    Or any other. Obama did not invent the Friday News Dump.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #26
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by plutonium View Post
    it was not politically timed because it had a negative effect on the prez....
    Your comment suggests that some people can control the reactions of others. They cannot. It could have been politically timed, them simply backfired.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #27
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Or any other. Obama did not invent the Friday News Dump.
    But his 'news' seems much worse.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #28
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Some have mentioned the "coincidence" of this happening just at the right time to push the current VA scandal off the headlines and out of people's consciousness. Do you believe that this was timed specifically for that reason?

    I do not. There are many issues that I do question regarding this person and his actions & loyalties, but the timing is not one of them. Primarily because these things take time to negotiate, and the Taliban aren't exactly quick and easy to deal with. I believe that this has been in the works for months, and couldn't be put together in a week.

    Now, if you were to say that it was put together by the administration to give the administration a positive accomplishment to point at in a general sense, I can buy into that. The timing with the VA scandal is, in my opinion, legitimate coincidence.
    even thou i agreed with the exchange, you never know with this administration but i suspect there was a political motivation. they just didn't anticipate the back lash that has happened.
    Go Vols

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    even thou i agreed with the exchange, you never know with this administration but i suspect there was a political motivation. they just didn't anticipate the back lash that has happened.
    Agreed. The backlash, or at least the depth of it, caught them totally off-guard.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Was the Bergdahl 5-for-1 trade politically timed?

    Some have mentioned the "coincidence" of this happening just at the right time to push the current VA scandal off the headlines and out of people's consciousness. Do you believe that this was timed specifically for that reason?

    I do not. There are many issues that I do question regarding this person and his actions & loyalties, but the timing is not one of them. Primarily because these things take time to negotiate, and the Taliban aren't exactly quick and easy to deal with. I believe that this has been in the works for months, and couldn't be put together in a week.

    Now, if you were to say that it was put together by the administration to give the administration a positive accomplishment to point at in a general sense, I can buy into that. The timing with the VA scandal is, in my opinion, legitimate coincidence.
    I was admonished long ago not to confuse malice with incompetence. Obama exemplifies both malice and incompetence, IMO.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •