View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #71
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That response is to be expected. In the big scheme of things nothing will be wasted. It has been said you will not come out until you have paid the utmost farthing, and he that puts someone into captivity will be put into captivity. Therefore this poem was composed long ago

    What's due to him a man receives
    This law no man can break
    My heart is neither sad nor grieves
    For what is mine no man can take

    I will leave it at that. Nothing else needs to be said.
    That poem seems to be speaking against your view.

    Money won't fix things - no matter what people think.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    That poem seems to be speaking against your view.

    Money won't fix things - no matter what people think.
    That's a typical superficial analysis that have gotten many, many people in big trouble. Genghis Khan is an example.

    No, what it means is that it's good for the person who is trying to make amends.

    But that is another waste of breath on my part. Sometimes, the belt has to do the talking. Here's some sanskrit

    cintam aparimeyam

    cintam means fears and anxieties. aparimeyam means unmeasurable. So cintan aparimeyam means that the result is being placed, by force, into a situation in which there is the experience of unlimited fear and anxiety, due to being bound by a very strong network of hundreds of thousands of desires. The result is hate which causes more suffering. It is like quicksand.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 06-03-14 at 11:57 AM.

  3. #73
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's a typical superficial analysis that have gotten many, many people in big trouble. Genghis Khan is an example.

    No, what it means is that it's good for the person who is trying to make amends.

    But that is another waste of breath on my part. Sometimes, the belt has to do the talking. Here's some sanskrit

    cintam aparimeyam

    cintam means fears and anxieties. aparimeyam means unmeasurable. So cintan aparimeyam means that the result is being placed, by force, into a situation in which there is the experience of unlimited fear and anxiety, due to being bound by a very strong network of hundreds of thousands of desires. The result is hate which causes more suffering. It is like quicksand.
    This is where we're off:

    You think that reparations in the form of money is the only option on the table.

    I don't. I believe we can - and should - address such wrongs.

    We do so, actually, in large scale. However: these large-scale measures aren't called reparations (instead they're a matter of laws, enforcing equal treatment, enabling those who are less fortunate to succeed in life with financial support if needed) and many don't come in the form of money

    However: you're not paying attention to these. You're ignoring the cultural and social shifts. You're ignoring the many things we have done with an effort to correct such wrongs.

    You're still only looking at money. You're wanting to boil it down to a matter of finances - and that's not how things work. That's not where the issues are.

    I don't know what else to say or do to make this more clear: money will not fix anything. Certainly not when a lot of the people that money would be given to are active tax paying members of the society that's giving it to them.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #74
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's a typical superficial analysis that have gotten many, many people in big trouble. Genghis Khan is an example.

    No, what it means is that it's good for the person who is trying to make amends.

    But that is another waste of breath on my part. Sometimes, the belt has to do the talking. Here's some sanskrit
    So you're saying we should make reparations to make white people feel better? Or to 'benefit' whites, as a positive action?

    I find it disturbing that there are people that wish to impose their own *choice* to feel guilt on others.

    We cant change history and we were not able...and can never...hold all those who were responsible for slavery accountable. That is not possible. I'm not going to accept their mantle of guilt however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #75
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    anonymous polls suck. I want to know who the four are that voted "yes"



  6. #76
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Go ahead and get your checkbook out if it makes you feel better, Glen. The rest of us don't owe anyone anything.
    Agreed. THe concept of group rights or group guilt is anathema to a free society



  7. #77
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,684

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No more than we should pay those of Irish, Italian, Mexican and Chinese descent. This is where PC screws everything up, there are very few true "African Americans", if any since we only recently began allowing dual citizenship. Munging the language causes this sort of nonsense.
    I only know one African-American. He was born in Tanzania and emigrated to America. Once here, he became an EMT and got his American citizenship. He's also pale white, blonde, blue-eyed and a hell of a nice guy. I do know several black people, but none of them are African-American, since they were all born here.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  8. #78
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Te-Nehisi Coates' recent article in The Atlantic has raised a few eyebrows, and showed me just how much I did not know concerning how America and America's government has oppressed the African American community in the past...and even to the modern day.

    Coates points out that reparations isn't a matter of "we can't afford it" or "how do we determine who gets paid how much", but a matter of right and wrong. America - and America's government - committed great wrongs against the African American community over many generations, including within my own lifetime.

    I was raised to believe that if I did somebody wrong, I should apologize sincerely...and I should do my level best to make it up to those I wronged. I was taught that a refusal to make up for what I have done to others is not just wrong, but dishonorable.

    It is for this reason that I agree that we as a nation should pay reparations to the African American community - because it is a matter of right and wrong, a matter of our national honor
    .



    Anyone who wants to reach in their own pocket and drag some money out and give it to anyone has my permission to do that.

    But they'll never have my permission to give one penny of my money or taxes that I paid to anyone.




    Where would it ever end? Lots of groups in the USA have an axe to grind.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    There's no case to be made. The idea is founded on ignorance, greed, and self-victimization.
    LOL, wow. How white of you.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Sorry - we were just talking about this in another thread so I got my already-written points confused.

    We've done quite a few things over the decades to try to redirect the path and address various damages and errors. The fact that none of these efforts are appreciated by some people shows that even throwing money at them won't matter. Some people will always think it a smart, wise idea - and even if we did do it and pay every black man, woman, and child 5,000 in cold hard cash it wouldn't alter a single thing.

    Money will not fix any of the issues in our country today.
    Who is the 'we" that you're talking about? I keep seeing this argument by a lot of white people that "we" have already done so much for "them". Are you guys fashioning yourselves little white saviors who tried to save the poor little, ungrateful black people because that's what it sounds like. Of course, you would never admit it because that would require you guys to admit something about yourselves that is intolerable your little colorblind minds.

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •