View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #61
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well, it's not going to happen because the fact of the matter is that people don't care. I'm just saying there is a legitimate case to be made for it.
    There's no case to be made. The idea is founded on ignorance, greed, and self-victimization.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #62
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    My grandfather told me that his grandfather had his land taken by a white man after he labored years cultivating it and turning it into something beautiful. He said his grandfather went to the police and they told him there was nothing they could do because it was a white man who took the land. He said it totally destroyed his grandfather. That's what he told me. My grandfather was very afraid of white people.
    BTW. I believe there are some white folks who are afraid of blacks too. That is not a reason to demand money from blacks is it?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  3. #63
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If the nation as a whole did something wrong, is it not our duty as a nation to right that wrong?
    If that is the case, then 'the nation' went to war and righted the wrong. And provided support and assistance and programs since that time.

    What is your suggestion for 'reparations?' Money?

    We have plenty of Native American tribes that get small and large $$ stipends, weekly, monthly.....that money is often wasted and does not benefit them in the larger sense. The tribes try to control it more now so that it does not just get 'blown thru.'

    Handing out money to individuals....is that the idea? Maybe it's not so I wont waste time going into it further. But I can if that's what you have in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #64
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    57

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Te-Nehisi Coates' recent article in The Atlantic has raised a few eyebrows, and showed me just how much I did not know concerning how America and America's government has oppressed the African American community in the past...and even to the modern day.

    Coates points out that reparations isn't a matter of "we can't afford it" or "how do we determine who gets paid how much", but a matter of right and wrong. America - and America's government - committed great wrongs against the African American community over many generations, including within my own lifetime.

    I was raised to believe that if I did somebody wrong, I should apologize sincerely...and I should do my level best to make it up to those I wronged. I was taught that a refusal to make up for what I have done to others is not just wrong, but dishonorable.

    It is for this reason that I agree that we as a nation should pay reparations to the African American community - because it is a matter of right and wrong, a matter of our national honor.
    I added emphasis.

    I have never done anything to anyone. My parents either. My grandparents came from Ireland where there was MUCH worse treatment (at that time) than not being able to sit at the counter with Whitey.

    The fact is that ethnic slavery is nearly 7 times MORE prevalent now than in 1861 America.

    How we could "repay" these debts would be to work, collectively black white etc, to stamp out the CONTINUING scourge of ethnic slavery.

    But maybe more important would be stamping out economic slavery. (read Disposable People by Kevin Bales)

  5. #65
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    57

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No more than we should pay those of Irish, Italian, Mexican and Chinese descent. This is where PC screws everything up, there are very few true "African Americans", if any since we only recently began allowing dual citizenship. Munging the language causes this sort of nonsense.
    Good point. Those Africans that have come from Africa in the past say...15 years...would they get reparations?

    Slavery lasted for only 70 some years in the USA. It lasted for centuries under Europeans should there be a proportinal cut paid by them?

    Should the West African groups who actually enslaved those people have some accountability?

    Should the black slave-owner's descendants pay reparations?

    And since we are handing these out where is the line for those caught in the Irish Diaspora? My great-grandfather was murdered in his home 1899 (not part of the diaspora), in front of his wife and 9 children by British soldiers for daring to advocate for Home Rule (Ireland). But I might not exist, and in such a GREAT country, so maybe I should make reparations to the British for the 7 bullets they put into Seamus' chest? I Could, adjusted for inflation, reimburse the cost of the bullets? The time of the soldiers?

  6. #66
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    57

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Would the descendants of slave-owner's pay it? They are the ones who ostensibly benefitted.

    The Irish were taken directly off the boats of East Coast ports and forced to fight the American Civil War..you ever hear of the draft riots?

    They were forced to fight to free a CHEAPER labor source than them!

    Another reason why the Irish should be compensated.

    Now, I am honest...this wasn't the case for my family...they came much later but not all Irish people would be so faithful to their stories.

  7. #67
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Oh really? I never got a dime.
    It wasn't necessarily money directly given to people, but in social programs like affirmative action.

  8. #68
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well, it's not going to happen because the fact of the matter is that people don't care. I'm just saying there is a legitimate case to be made for it.
    Should we pay Jews whose ancestors were in the holocaust? Should we pay the Irish for the horrible animosity they received when they arrived in the 19th century? Should we pay the Native Americans for what happened to their ancestors?

    When you open up such a ridiculous concept as paying people free money for something that happened to their ancestors, especially ancestors they had no chance of ever meeting or knowing, you open up about a million different types of people you're going to have to pay. Where is this "free money" coming from and why do you think you deserve it from me? Have I wronged you in some way? Be specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #69
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Continuing to cart out the reparations theme is as wrong as saying "the check is in the mail."

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    There's no case to be made. The idea is founded on ignorance, greed, and self-victimization.
    That response is to be expected. In the big scheme of things nothing will be wasted. It has been said you will not come out until you have paid the utmost farthing, and he that puts someone into captivity will be put into captivity. Therefore this poem was composed long ago

    What's due to him a man receives
    This law no man can break
    My heart is neither sad nor grieves
    For what is mine no man can take

    I will leave it at that. Nothing else needs to be said.

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •