View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    and here we are, 150 years later . . . and?

    If whites and everyone else benefited then that means so have blacks - whether they descended from slaves or not doesn't even matter (because a lot have not - slavery is not the only means by which blacks have come to America).

    You want to go further out into the ozone you can says things like 'the entire world benefited from slavery' because it was a worldwide economic concept.
    The problem is that it did not end 150 years ago. Again, there are many blacks who are alive today that suffered from systemic government sponsored racism designed to psychologically cripple them.

  2. #52
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The problem is that it did not end 150 years ago. Again, there are many blacks who are alive today that suffered from systemic government sponsored racism designed to psychologically cripple them.
    Racism existed before slavery was even practiced in the US - so the two things are separate, I believe.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Reparations will just never happen. It's a pipe dream. I voted for Obama and still very much know that.


    The problem with any reparations is and always will be, Who is, exactly, "We" in the statement of "Should we pay reparations"?


    The answer is every US taxpayer. Which means that every single African American, Mexican, Mixed race, Native American and Asian American would have their tax money being used for some giant "reparations" Federal Tax Payment just as whites would.

    In other words, you'd be taking from the very people you'd be giving reparations to. Not only that, many in non-black minority communities don't want to pay for "black reparations".



    Facts from a Federal Law vantage point:

    -It would have to be a massive "Federal Reparations Tax on every single US citizen". Can you say "Political Suicide"? That Political party would instantly collapse because the whole reparations attempt would be a mess in even best of cases.

    -It would be absolutely impossible to establish legally who should and shouldn't have to pay, hence every taxpayer would be forced to pay, hence undercutting the entire reparations concept legally and civil rights speaking.

    -The final actual Federal Reparations Payment would be small. Probably not enough to buy a cheap used car.

    -The Federal government would never be able to legally establish with any legal validity who would actually receive a "Reparations Check". It would be impossible legally without creating a system rivaling Jim Crow or 1 drop rule esq systems, all of which would be highly illegal.

    -It's very likely that many tens of thousands, if not more, African Americans would be victimized by other minorities that felt "cheated" by not receiving reparations. Think Civil Rights Era all over except Latinos, Blacks instead of whites.

  4. #54
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It's not a matter against standing against some random person. It's just that the government itself sponsored the racism. It was very cruel. I could tell you some far out stories that my grandfather told me. I'm from an area where the KKK is still big to this very day.
    I stand against the KKK. I'm with you here, but I don't need to give you money because idiots exist. Aren't the black panthers still around? What about Black gangs that intimidate and cause psychological harm and fear? Do you want to pay for the BS they are subjecting people to? silly huh?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Racism existed before slavery was even practiced in the US - so the two things are separate, I believe.
    I'm talking about systemic government racism that existed in the US that was designed to psychologically cripple blacks. I saw it in my grandfather. He was afraid of white people. That is the truth. He did not like Martin Luther King at all, thought he was very dangerous and was a trouble maker. You should have heard some of the stories he told me. Stories about blacks being tortured and killed right on the main street of town in broad daylight.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Te-Nehisi Coates' recent article in The Atlantic has raised a few eyebrows, and showed me just how much I did not know concerning how America and America's government has oppressed the African American community in the past...and even to the modern day.

    Coates points out that reparations isn't a matter of "we can't afford it" or "how do we determine who gets paid how much", but a matter of right and wrong. America - and America's government - committed great wrongs against the African American community over many generations, including within my own lifetime.

    I was raised to believe that if I did somebody wrong, I should apologize sincerely...and I should do my level best to make it up to those I wronged. I was taught that a refusal to make up for what I have done to others is not just wrong, but dishonorable.

    It is for this reason that I agree that we as a nation should pay reparations to the African American community - because it is a matter of right and wrong, a matter of our national honor.
    I cannot imagine anything that would inflame racial enmity more than reparations. It would be catastrophic in its ability to drive an invigorated racial wedge into American society. This would be disastrous.

  7. #57
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'm talking about systemic government racism that existed in the US that was designed to psychologically cripple blacks. I saw it in my grandfather. He was afraid of white people. That is the truth. He did not like Martin Luther King at all, thought he was very dangerous and was a trouble maker. You should have heard some of the stories he told me. Stories about blacks being tortured and killed right on the main street of town in broad daylight.
    Sorry - we were just talking about this in another thread so I got my already-written points confused.

    We've done quite a few things over the decades to try to redirect the path and address various damages and errors. The fact that none of these efforts are appreciated by some people shows that even throwing money at them won't matter. Some people will always think it a smart, wise idea - and even if we did do it and pay every black man, woman, and child 5,000 in cold hard cash it wouldn't alter a single thing.

    Money will not fix any of the issues in our country today.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I stand against the KKK. I'm with you here, but I don't need to give you money because idiots exist. Aren't the black panthers still around? What about Black gangs that intimidate and cause psychological harm and fear? Do you want to pay for the BS they are subjecting people to? silly huh?
    My grandfather told me that his grandfather had his land taken by a white man after he labored years cultivating it and turning it into something beautiful. He said his grandfather went to the police and they told him there was nothing they could do because it was a white man who took the land. He said it totally destroyed his grandfather. That's what he told me. My grandfather was very afraid of white people.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Sorry - we were just talking about this in another thread so I got my already-written points confused.

    We've done quite a few things over the decades to try to redirect the path and address various damages and errors. The fact that none of these efforts are appreciated by some people shows that even throwing money at them won't matter. Some people will always think it a smart, wise idea - and even if we did do it and pay every black man, woman, and child 5,000 in cold hard cash it wouldn't alter a single thing.

    Money will not fix any of the issues in our country today.
    Well, it's not going to happen because the fact of the matter is that people don't care. I'm just saying there is a legitimate case to be made for it.

  10. #60
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    My grandfather told me that his grandfather had his land taken by a white man after he labored years cultivating it and turning it into something beautiful. He said his grandfather went to the police and they told him there was nothing they could do because it was a white man who took the land. He said it totally destroyed his grandfather. That's what he told me. My grandfather was very afraid of white people.
    I do not doubt for one minute that was the case. I am truly sorry to hear that your GR. GR. Grandfather was mistreated. If you were to Identify the land and if the the thief still resided there I would stand on your side in extracting a fair market value of the day adjusted for inflation from him. But no responsible party exists. The land is scattered with all manner of past injustices, at some point one must turn away from the historical wrongs and look forward to creating historical rights.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •