View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Help me with this then. When people deny the impact that environment and history have on how an adult sees the world and themselves the only other option I see for them to "blame" is biology. So when someone refuses to acknowledge the impact that hundreds of years of slavery and oppression have had on a group of people, to me they appear to be saying that any struggles that group has is do to some innate flaw and failing in them since biology is all that's left on the table.
    I read them much the same way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #172
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I read them much the same way.
    I don't think people recognize what they're saying.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #173
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have said before that I am fully against reparations. Having said that, I do not wholly discount the right/wrong/honor aspect.

    Having said THAT, I have to ask the question: Would it do any good? That's a serious question. What would it accomplish? Would anything, at all, be "fixed"?

    I believe there are two types of people who advocate reparations: 1) White liberals, and 2) Those seeking some free money. For those seeking the free money, their motivation is obvious. For the white liberals, it's more complicated. I grant that they feel their's is an honest gesture, but I also feel that... probably subconsciously... payments will literally absolve them of guilt that they feel. Bottom line, I do NOT believe that anything whatsoever will change. The feeling of oppression will remain (as will the complaining), as will the guilt (because nothing changed).
    And your last sentence is why, even though I think we should pay the reparations as a matter of honor, nothing will change.

    There's a guy I've known for close to 30 years now. He's done my family wrong, and I did his wrong, too - it's a long story, but suffice it to say we really don't like each other. The only reason we speak to each other (and then it's only if we must) is because we are both strong members of the same Church. Anyway, when I realized that I had wronged him, I went to him and apologized...because that was the right thing to do. It didn't matter that he had done my family wrong - what mattered is that I had to get my personal record clean. To me, if I am wrong, I have to own up to it even if I've got reason to really not like the guy I'm apologizing to (there's caveats and limits, of course). But if the other guy can't own up to what he did wrong, that's his problem.

    And that's why I support reparations - it's not a matter of "white guilt" - it's a matter of doing our part to make things right. If things aren't right after that point (and I agree with you that nothing will likely change), then we've still done our part.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #174
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And your last sentence is why, even though I think we should pay the reparations as a matter of honor, nothing will change.

    There's a guy I've known for close to 30 years now. He's done my family wrong, and I did his wrong, too - it's a long story, but suffice it to say we really don't like each other. The only reason we speak to each other (and then it's only if we must) is because we are both strong members of the same Church. Anyway, when I realized that I had wronged him, I went to him and apologized...because that was the right thing to do. It didn't matter that he had done my family wrong - what mattered is that I had to get my personal record clean. To me, if I am wrong, I have to own up to it even if I've got reason to really not like the guy I'm apologizing to (there's caveats and limits, of course). But if the other guy can't own up to what he did wrong, that's his problem.

    And that's why I support reparations - it's not a matter of "white guilt" - it's a matter of doing our part to make things right. If things aren't right after that point (and I agree with you that nothing will likely change), then we've still done our part.
    As a matter of individual interpersonal relations I agree with you.

    As a matter of public policy I cannot. Public policy needs to be more than simply assuaging one's guilt (sorry, I still see that as the core of the issue). Something needs to be gained, or else it's hollow.

    Take immigration, for example. We have done amnesty, which is a form of saying "We were wrong, and we're doing 'x' to fix it. But, this is it. From now on you're obligated to the stated rules." Problem is, that wasn't it. It's been done again, and keeps getting demanded. In hindsight, what was the point?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    As a matter of individual interpersonal relations I agree with you.

    As a matter of public policy I cannot. Public policy needs to be more than simply assuaging one's guilt (sorry, I still see that as the core of the issue). Something needs to be gained, or else it's hollow.

    Take immigration, for example. We have done amnesty, which is a form of saying "We were wrong, and we're doing 'x' to fix it. But, this is it. From now on you're obligated to the stated rules." Problem is, that wasn't it. It's been done again, and keeps getting demanded. In hindsight, what was the point?
    Okay, let's address the immigration thing. We did amnesty - which I believed then and now was the right thing - and now we've got another illegal immigrant problem. It seems quite logical, then, to say that amnesty doesn't work, right?

    Thing is, what can prevent illegal immigration? A wall? Hardly. Anyone who thinks a wall from the Pacific to the Gulf would stop illegal immigration doesn't know human beings. There is one thing and one thing only that will effectively end illegal immigration - if Mexico's economy is as prosperous (and as safe) as our own (or if ours is as bad as theirs, which is why we've had zero net immigration for the past few years). Unless we get their economy to be almost as prosperous as our own, we're always going to have an illegal immigration problem...which, according to the Chamber of Commerce, is something that requires immigration reform ASAP. It doesn't matter that Reagan's amnesty didn't fix the problem forever - it needs fixing again...and likely will twenty or thirty more years down the road.

    So how does this apply to the debate on reparations? What we have done to African Americans was and continues to be a shame. If we pay reparations, those problems won't go away - in fact, it's possible they might worsen from the backlash from those who oppose reparations for whatever reason. But the problem is still there, and needs fixing...even with such a bubble-gum-and-bailing-wire solution as reparations. We can't allow the possibility that things won't improve or might even worsen stop us from doing what we can to make things better.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #176
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I don't think people recognize what they're saying.
    Agreed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    So how does this apply to the debate on reparations? What we have done to African Americans was and continues to be a shame. If we pay reparations, those problems won't go away - in fact, it's possible they might worsen from the backlash from those who oppose reparations for whatever reason. But the problem is still there, and needs fixing...even with such a bubble-gum-and-bailing-wire solution as reparations. We can't allow the possibility that things won't improve or might even worsen stop us from doing what we can to make things better.
    What have "we" done to African/Black Americans today that would be receiving these reparations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What have "we" done to African/Black Americans today that would be receiving these reparations?
    We might not be responsible as individuals, but we ARE responsible as a nation. Try reading the article I referenced in the OP.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #179
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    We might not be responsible as individuals, but we ARE responsible as a nation. Try reading the article I referenced in the OP.
    Cool. MY people had their property seized. I want reparations too.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    We might not be responsible as individuals, but we ARE responsible as a nation. Try reading the article I referenced in the OP.
    Perhaps an argument could be made Mississippi or some Southern States owe reparations or that country club owe them but why in the hell should my tax dollars go to anything like that? The idea is ridiculous. My family had nothing to do with slavery or gaining anything from black labor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •