View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #161
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    If we were to pay reparations, would that settle it? Would that make everything good? Could we then abolish all Affirmative Action programs because the issue has been resolved? Would the people who advocate for reparations, and complain about injustices of the past, shut the hell up?

    It would almost be worth it if they'd shut the hell up.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #162
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Oh really? What about people who were forced to attend segregated schools? What about people who were denied employment simply because of the color of their skin?
    Now you've opened it up to white people who didn't get the job simply because a lesser qualified minority candidate "needed" to get the job instead.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #163
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I quite agree that root causes are important, though we might disagree what they are. But leaving a people with no blue print, from a different place, with no history, no generational background with which to ground a people, and then declare it all their fault and no need to do anything at all? Well, that don't seem quite right.

    And no Thomas Sowell is the poorest of sources. I've read his work. His degree is in economic and his social history is limited and different from many of his race.

    However, the point here is that exceptions shouldn't lead the way. We need something that reaches many, and not just a few.
    In other words, he's an independent thinker. That does seem to be taboo, especially in the black community. Pretty much any other race or ethnicity is allowed to assimilate just fine, but God forbid a black person do so, lest they be labeled an "Uncle Tom" or "Oreo" or some other degrading stereotype.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    " The article " is full of it.

    Absolutely full of it.
    Yeah, the author - and all the people he talked to, all the history he brings up - is all just so much bunk. He made it all up, because obviously racism doesn't exist anymore....
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  5. #165
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yeah, but you're a sucker for that kind of white liberal guilt, anyway.
    Y'know, my wife loves giving me guilt trips - especially since she knows they work so well.

    Be that as it may, this is a matter of right and wrong on a national scale. Like I said, it's a matter of honor.

    But on the other hand, while that may be my dispassionate view on a matter of right and wrong, I'm also realistic enough to know that such is politically impossible in America for the foreseeable future...and perhaps, if we reach a point where reparations are possible, our society will have matured to a point to where such are no longer necessary.

    For some reason, I'm reminded of Merlin's line in the old (by today's standards) movie "Excalibur": "It is a dream that I have." But then later he says, "A dream for some...a nightmare for others!"

    Man, I'm going off the rails - time to get to work...
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #166
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Y'know, my wife loves giving me guilt trips - especially since she knows they work so well.

    Be that as it may, this is a matter of right and wrong on a national scale. Like I said, it's a matter of honor.

    But on the other hand, while that may be my dispassionate view on a matter of right and wrong, I'm also realistic enough to know that such is politically impossible in America for the foreseeable future...and perhaps, if we reach a point where reparations are possible, our society will have matured to a point to where such are no longer necessary.

    For some reason, I'm reminded of Merlin's line in the old (by today's standards) movie "Excalibur": "It is a dream that I have." But then later he says, "A dream for some...a nightmare for others!"

    Man, I'm going off the rails - time to get to work...
    I have said before that I am fully against reparations. Having said that, I do not wholly discount the right/wrong/honor aspect.

    Having said THAT, I have to ask the question: Would it do any good? That's a serious question. What would it accomplish? Would anything, at all, be "fixed"?

    I believe there are two types of people who advocate reparations: 1) White liberals, and 2) Those seeking some free money. For those seeking the free money, their motivation is obvious. For the white liberals, it's more complicated. I grant that they feel their's is an honest gesture, but I also feel that... probably subconsciously... payments will literally absolve them of guilt that they feel. Bottom line, I do NOT believe that anything whatsoever will change. The feeling of oppression will remain (as will the complaining), as will the guilt (because nothing changed).
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In other words, he's an independent thinker. That does seem to be taboo, especially in the black community. Pretty much any other race or ethnicity is allowed to assimilate just fine, but God forbid a black person do so, lest they be labeled an "Uncle Tom" or "Oreo" or some other degrading stereotype.
    No, he's just out of his subject area and puts ideology over reasoning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #168
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, he's just out of his subject area and puts ideology over reasoning.
    Two points/questions.

    1) Are ideology and reasoning mutually exclusive?

    2) What do you do for a living? And/or what official training do you have? Are you also "out of your subject area" on this topic? If so, why is your reasoning any better than his?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Two points/questions.

    1) Are ideology and reasoning mutually exclusive?

    2) What do you do for a living? And/or what official training do you have? Are you also "out of your subject area" on this topic? If so, why is your reasoning any better than his?
    1) Not always, but when ideology overrides reasoning, as it does with him often, the balance is off.

    2) I teach. Critical thinking among other things. And I've written nothing on this subject. Instead, I read those who are experts on this subject matter. I've even been able to run his ideas by a few schooled in this area.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #170
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    1) Not always, but when ideology overrides reasoning, as it does with him often, the balance is off.

    2) I teach. Critical thinking among other things. And I've written nothing on this subject. Instead, I read those who are experts on this subject matter. I've even been able to run his ideas by a few schooled in this area.
    Help me with this then. When people deny the impact that environment and history have on how an adult sees the world and themselves the only other option I see for them to "blame" is biology. So when someone refuses to acknowledge the impact that hundreds of years of slavery and oppression have had on a group of people, to me they appear to be saying that any struggles that group has is do to some innate flaw and failing in them since biology is all that's left on the table.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •