View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #151
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,997

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wonder if women on the whole welcome your view? Or any minority for that matter.
    you didn't check the sarcasism of my post.

    Basically the best you can get should be hired. No matter who they are.

  2. #152
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    if you didn't check it I was being sarcastic to B posts.
    Well I thought I was agreeing with you because I thought you were right.

    (It wouldn't be the first time I agreed with somebody who didn't exactly mean what I responded to. But if you were being sarcastic re Boo's position on this topic, then we could possibly be on the same page. This dang environment just doesn't accommodate the arched eyebrow, the wink, tonal inflection, body language, etc. A pity too.)
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #153
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Sometimes a white male will be superior to everyone else in something. Sometimes a black one-legged dyslectic lesbian who is an ex-WAC will be superior to everyone else in something.

    Standards that represent excellence in sports should not be lowered for the white guy who can't meet them even though the majority of those who meet the standards are black. Standards that represent excellence in police work or fire fighting or combat readiness should not be lowered because almost all the people who can meet them happen to be guys. Standards that represent excellence in academia should not be lowered because there is an over-representation of Asians who attain them.

    Everybody should have opportunity to compete. But we diminish everybody if we lower standards to accommodate those who can't meet them no matter what their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever. The only 'fair' society is one that demands excellence but attaches no more importance to skin color than it does eye color or hair color.
    One. Not groups. And no one has called for lowering standards (though standards should be true standards).

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #154
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    And we SHOULD discriminate. We should ALL strive to be as bright, competent, capable, skilled, able, and qualified to achieve our goals as we can. And the brightest, most competent, most capable, most skilled, most able, and most qualified should be moved to the head of the line in all things--otherwise we diminish us all.

    As I previously posted, I believe it was Walter Williams who said that the opportunity to try should be equal for everybody. And we, as Americans, have done a very good job in breaking down all institutional barriers that prevent anybody from trying. We have done a very good job in providing the opportunities. And the government can help with that. But nobody, not the government nor anybody else, can make somebody seize the opportunity that is available to them.

    As Rocky Balboa meant in his speech: the person who believes he/she is inferior, no good, not capable, or chooses to succumb to victimization instead of rising above it, is doomed to be inferior, incapable, a victim their whole life. So a government who constantly tells a whole demographic of people that they are doomed to be inferior, incapable, victims unless big brother helps them out, has consigned those people to inferiority, inability, and victimization for generations. It is criminal. It should not stand. And if you are going to demand reparations from anybody, demand them from those who demand that we continue those indefensible policies.
    That only works if none of the competitors were unfairly prohibited from proper training. If you take someone, lock them in a box and deprive them of food and what yet expect them to compete with everyone that has not been deprived in the same way then you don't really have a fair competition at all do you.

    You're response smacks of the assumption that failure is a product of some shortcoming on their part instead of, in many cases, years of exploitation etc.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  5. #155
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Te-Nehisi Coates' recent article in The Atlantic has raised a few eyebrows, and showed me just how much I did not know concerning how America and America's government has oppressed the African American community in the past...and even to the modern day.

    Coates points out that reparations isn't a matter of "we can't afford it" or "how do we determine who gets paid how much", but a matter of right and wrong. America - and America's government - committed great wrongs against the African American community over many generations, including within my own lifetime.

    I was raised to believe that if I did somebody wrong, I should apologize sincerely...and I should do my level best to make it up to those I wronged. I was taught that a refusal to make up for what I have done to others is not just wrong, but dishonorable.

    It is for this reason that I agree that we as a nation should pay reparations to the African American community - because it is a matter of right and wrong, a matter of our national honor.
    We clearly did something wrong. I don't think though that reparations would be an effective solution though. I think it would be likely to evolve into an excuse for more hatred and bigotry from the hateful and bigoted. It seems to make more sense to counter prejudice and inequality whenever and wherever we can and provide equal access to a decent education, jobs and housing.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  6. #156
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Problem is - as the article points out - the wrong continues to this day, and to a greater extent than most of us know.
    " The article " is full of it.

    Absolutely full of it.

  7. #157
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    One. Not groups. And no one has called for lowering standards (though standards should be true standards).
    I'm sorry, but a lot of NBA teams are made up of primarily GROUPS of a particular race, just as most professional boxers in the U.S. are black or Hispanic. Should the true standards be lowered to accommodate more white people or Asians? How about the standard for jockeys be changed so heavier people can participate in that sport?

    In a color blind society, standards are set by the top tier of success achieved by those participating without regard to color, ethnicity, gender or whatever. It isn't unfair that more black people than white people can achieve the highest standard of excellence in the NBA. And it isn't unfair that more Asians than black or white people will probably achieve the highest excellence in math and science competitions. We shouldn't lower standards just to make it more racially or ethnic or gender equal. The only requirement should be that nobody is prohibited from trying by virtue of their race, ethnicity, or gender.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #158
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I didn't do anyone wrong- so I don't owe anyone an apology.

    If you feel guilty for something which you did not do, then by all means, pay up, but don't expect everyone else to do the same.
    While I am adamantly opposed to reparations, this particular argument is irrelevant and off-the-mark, IMO. *I* never did anything wrong, either, but the issue isn't really whether or not we as individuals did anything wrong, the issue is whether or not the government did something wrong, and whether we like it or not the government works in our name and with our complicit approval.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #159
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Te-Nehisi Coates' recent article in The Atlantic has raised a few eyebrows, and showed me just how much I did not know concerning how America and America's government has oppressed the African American community in the past...and even to the modern day.

    Coates points out that reparations isn't a matter of "we can't afford it" or "how do we determine who gets paid how much", but a matter of right and wrong. America - and America's government - committed great wrongs against the African American community over many generations, including within my own lifetime.

    I was raised to believe that if I did somebody wrong, I should apologize sincerely...and I should do my level best to make it up to those I wronged. I was taught that a refusal to make up for what I have done to others is not just wrong, but dishonorable.

    It is for this reason that I agree that we as a nation should pay reparations to the African American community - because it is a matter of right and wrong, a matter of our national honor.
    Yeah, but you're a sucker for that kind of white liberal guilt, anyway.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #160
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nope. If it's something the majority of us recognize as a wrong, the government's duty becomes not to do it again/any longer.
    Right. You fix the problem. You don't overcompensate and create another problem.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •