View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #131
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I added a little more.

    However, try to grasp that it doesn't have to be nothing to say it's largely been in ineffective. Add to it that you have whites, largely white males, making statements that it's over and blaming minorities. Much is written on thus, which is why I say more honest talk is needed.
    It certainly hasnt been largely ineffective. Are you kidding? Blacks have been well-integrated into society, esp. where the socio-economics are similar. In poverty-centric areas, the epidemic lack of opportunity is reflected across all in the neighborhood, trailer park, etc., not just the blacks. Some of the issues are perpetuated by expectations and reactions as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #132
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No more than we should pay those of Irish, Italian, Mexican and Chinese descent. This is where PC screws everything up, there are very few true "African Americans", if any since we only recently began allowing dual citizenship. Munging the language causes this sort of nonsense.
    President Barack Obama is an African American.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #133
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    One reason our country is Exceptional is because we are the only country that has African Americans, most of whom are just ordinary citizens.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It certainly hasnt been largely ineffective. Are you kidding? Blacks have been well-integrated into society, esp. where the socio-economics are similar. In poverty-centric areas, the epidemic lack of opportunity is reflected across all in the neighborhood, trailer park, etc., not just the blacks. Some of the issues are perpetuated by expectations and reactions as well.
    The numbers tell a different story. Blacks still have worse unemployment, are still under represented in college, and still have troubles obtaining loans. Wealth is still largely held in the hands of whites.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #135
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    I am just going to say this, even though its controversial. There is no doubt that slavery had a lasting impact. There is no doubt that segregation had a lasting impact. There is no doubt that racism is a problem even to this day. However, at the same time, African Americans have disproportionately benefited from various anti-poverty programs since the 60s to the tune of several trillion dollars. At this point the problem is more cultural than anything else. As LBJ would put it, they have been given a leg up, but at some point they have got to take it from here themselves. Frankly, its not like African Americans are doing great everywhere in the world but here. I can't think of a single country on earth with a significant black community where they all have their sh** together. Regardless of where in the world you go, regardless of a nation's policies, you will find higher poverty rates, higher crime rates, and higher rates of out of wedlock births in the black community. It is a problem that they will have to fix at a cultural level themselves.

    That doesn't let the rest of society off the hook. We have policies like affirmative action and hate crime laws specifically because racism still exists. We also all have a vested interest in everyone in our society succeeding and getting a good education, but the black community cannot blame all their problems on everyone else either.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #136
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The numbers tell a different story. Blacks still have worse unemployment, are still under represented in college, and still have troubles obtaining loans. Wealth is still largely held in the hands of whites.
    Again...what is your timetable? What are your expectations?

    Considering the topic....would you see 'reparations' changing the pace of change?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Again...what is your timetable? What are your expectations?

    Considering the topic....would you see 'reparations' changing the pace of change?
    I've said no to reparations. However, I think policies need to be reconsidered. We must do a better job of educating minorities. A better job of fighting bias in the work world. A better job of teaching to fish, so to speak. And stop with declaring racism dead.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #138
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've said no to reparations. However, I think policies need to be reconsidered. We must do a better job of educating minorities. A better job of fighting bias in the work world. A better job of teaching to fish, so to speak. And stop with declaring racism dead.
    Only certain factions believe that racism is dead and I dont believe most people think that.

    But there have been many many programs offered, many still offered....people start seeing, like you, that if they havent worked....do we need more time or take another direction with our programs and policies? Both I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Only certain factions believe that racism is dead and I dont believe most people think that.

    But there have been many many programs offered, many still offered....people start seeing, like you, that if they havent worked....do we need more time or take another direction with our programs and policies? Both I think.
    On that I can agree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #140
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The numbers tell a different story. Blacks still have worse unemployment, are still under represented in college, and still have troubles obtaining loans. Wealth is still largely held in the hands of whites.
    I am not a fan of diversity stats. I won't disagree with your statements.

    Yet, lets look at diversity (blacks) on how they are represented in players in sports (NFL, NBA) for starters? Then if you look at the management staff, yep. Not so much.

    Reminds me of when I was working and the admin head said that we did not have enough minorities and females in the fire program. I then asked was there enough white males in the admin assistant postitions or in public affairs (all female staff at the time). The admin head had no real answer to that. I basically told her that we should hire the best qualified we can get. No matter who they are.

    Back to the OP. imo, we do not owe todays African Americans any reparations.

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •