View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm not aware of any programs or policies being curtailed or ended. Some probably have, but many continue.
    Again, largely inadequate, ineffective.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,888

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, largely inadequate, ineffective.
    Really? What's your timetable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Really? What's your timetable?
    Not where I think it's done, that's for sure. But really, they haven't been effective. We still see large disparity on nearly every level.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,888

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not where I think it's done, that's for sure. But really, they haven't been effective. We still see large disparity on nearly every level.
    No progress huh?

    I'd like some other opinions on that. I have my own, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #125
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    "Poll: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?"

    no
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #126
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No progress huh?

    I'd like some other opinions on that. I have my own, of course.
    It's not all or nothing.

    Progress Slow on Racial Equality

    Progress Slow on Racial Equality - CSMonitor.com

    Despite the obvious advances, Klarman said that progress in racial equality is uneven. “Fifty years ago nobody could have dreamed that the last two secretaries of state would be black, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff would be black, and those are incredible changes,” he said, adding, “On the other hand, Hurricane Katrina told us what life is like for a lot of poor black people in cities and we haven’t done much to fix it, and I don’t think we’d tolerate it if those were white people.”


    Klarman sees no end to the unfinished business of racial equality. “The issues have changed and the terms of debate have changed, but race issues are still everywhere,” he said.
    • Reported By Ken Reitz

    Klarman’s New Book Explores Uneven Road of Racial Equality in America*
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 06-04-14 at 02:22 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,888

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's not all or nothing.
    That's right. THat's why I asked what your timetable was. What exactly are your expectations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That's right. THat's why I asked what your timetable was. What exactly are your expectations?
    I added a little more.

    However, try to grasp that it doesn't have to be nothing to say it's largely been in ineffective. Add to it that you have whites, largely white males, making statements that it's over and blaming minorities. Much is written on thus, which is why I say more honest talk is needed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #129
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The following is not well said



    It's garbage because it ignores the FACT that SYSTEMIC GOVERNMENT RACISM was a big factor in creating the problem in the first place. Not only that, but it ignores the FACT that it took government intervention to stop the cruel injustices that were inflicted on blacks. Mr. Sowell, and other Uncle Toms like him appear to think that if they were alive during the time of Jefferson, Washington, and Madison, that they would be the equals of such slave owners and would have their own slaves working for them for free.
    You're right. Government racism that consigned black people to inferior status and treated them as inferiors who must be assisted and supplemented and guided and herded into government programs--told them they couldn't make it without government help. THAT is what has created the current cultural devastation in much of the black community and it has nothing to do with racism or segregation or institutional racism.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #130
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    If there is a black person who was a slave in 1865 and is still alive he or she should receive compensation otherwise no.



    I'm down with that idea.

    OTOH, has anyone on this forum ever been paid for something that their grandparents did?

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •