View Poll Results: Should we pay reparations to the African American community?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should pay reparations to the African American communtiy

    15 9.93%
  • We should not pay reparations to the African American community

    136 90.07%
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 416

Thread: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    middle aged white english professors just know these things, Owl. Back out now before he tells you to check your privilege.



    Bingo. Well said.
    The following is not well said

    But government policy that encourages black people to see themselves as the oppressed, as the disadvantaged, as victims of slavery and that discourages all the best things that help people of all cultures and ethnic groups and races to succeed has consigned whole sub groups of black people to crushing poverty and believing there is no way out of it for them unless the government does it for them.
    It's garbage because it ignores the FACT that SYSTEMIC GOVERNMENT RACISM was a big factor in creating the problem in the first place. Not only that, but it ignores the FACT that it took government intervention to stop the cruel injustices that were inflicted on blacks. Mr. Sowell, and other Uncle Toms like him appear to think that if they were alive during the time of Jefferson, Washington, and Madison, that they would be the equals of such slave owners and would have their own slaves working for them for free.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So you're saying we should make reparations to make white people feel better? Or to 'benefit' whites, as a positive action?
    No what I'm saying is that I'm wasting my breath, and sometimes you have to leave things to real higher powers to sort things out.

  3. #103
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It's garbage because it ignores the FACT that SYSTEMIC GOVERNMENT RACISM was a big factor in creating the problem in the first place.
    Sure. For example, we created the minimum wage, deliberately attempting to price low-skill blacks out of the labor market and keep them trapped in poverty (and, the original progenitors of the idea hoped, cause them to become reduced as a portion of the populace). In no way does that make the quoted section garbage, as it (and, this is important) continues to be true.

    Not only that, but it ignores the FACT that it took government intervention to stop the cruel injustices that were inflicted on blacks.
    This also is true, without actually having any impact on the section you cited. Government acting in such a way as to damage blacks in the past does not excuse doing so today, nor does government fighting terrorists such as the KKK mean that they are not guilty of teaching dependence.

    Mr. Sowell, and other Uncle Toms like him appear to think that if they were alive during the time of Jefferson, Washington, and Madison, that they would be the equals of such slave owners and would have their own slaves working for them for free.
    Ah yes. Because those who preach self-reliance, hard work, and self-improvement aren't Keeping It Real. they are Acting White.

    I don't think I could have made a stronger argument in Owls' favor than your own post. Thank you for that, at least.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Ah yes. Because those who preach self-reliance, hard work, and self-improvement aren't Keeping It Real. they are Acting White.
    Yeah right. Do you know how hard it is to get into Yale? Tell me, what self-reliance, hard work, and self-improvement got George W Bush into Yale?

  5. #105
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Yeah right. Do you know how hard it is to get into Yale? Tell me, what self-reliance, hard work, and self-improvement got George W Bush into Yale?
    I wouldn't know. But your strawman is noted and appreciated as an implicit admission of the intellectual shallowness of your position .

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I wouldn't know. But your strawman is noted and appreciated as an implicit admission of the intellectual shallowness of your position .
    That's right you don't know because it's not there. There was no hard work, self-reliance, or self improvement that got George W Bush into Yale. It was simply because he was from a rich family. Nothing else.

  7. #107
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's right you don't know because it's not there. There was no hard work, self-reliance, or self improvement that got George W Bush into Yale. It was simply because he was from a rich family. Nothing else.
    Perhaps. Though there are plenty of rich kids that can't. At least Bush had better grades than Kerry.

    But again, your sad attempt to pivot to Bush is a pretty laughable strawman, only demonstrating all the stronger the intellectual weakness of your position. Care to discuss the hard work and self improvement of Justice Thomas?

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Perhaps. Though there are plenty of rich kids that can't. At least Bush had better grades than Kerry.

    But again, your sad attempt to pivot to Bush is a pretty laughable strawman, only demonstrating all the stronger the intellectual weakness of your position. Care to discuss the hard work and self improvement of Justice Thomas?
    What's sad is your pathetic attempt to ignore the fact that were are not living in a pure meritocracy. There is more to it than just self reliance and working hard. There are plenty of hard working self reliant black people who have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet. SOME, not all of that is due to past patterns of systemic government discrimination.

  9. #109
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Te-Nehisi Coates' recent article in The Atlantic has raised a few eyebrows, and showed me just how much I did not know concerning how America and America's government has oppressed the African American community in the past...and even to the modern day.

    Coates points out that reparations isn't a matter of "we can't afford it" or "how do we determine who gets paid how much", but a matter of right and wrong. America - and America's government - committed great wrongs against the African American community over many generations, including within my own lifetime.

    I was raised to believe that if I did somebody wrong, I should apologize sincerely...and I should do my level best to make it up to those I wronged. I was taught that a refusal to make up for what I have done to others is not just wrong, but dishonorable.

    It is for this reason that I agree that we as a nation should pay reparations to the African American community - because it is a matter of right and wrong, a matter of our national honor.
    Every welfare dollar that goes to a black American is a reparation dollar. Why do you ask?
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  10. #110
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Do you believe that America should pay reparations to African Americans?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    LOL, the prosperity of this country and all the benefits that come with it is, in GREAT PART, due to slave labor. What the **** kind of question is that?
    It is a serious question. I don't ask for platitudes and rhetoric, I'm asking how I have benefited from slave labor, specifically?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •