View Poll Results: Should Bowe Berdahl Be Court Martialed?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 42.86%
  • No

    8 19.05%
  • I don't know

    16 38.10%
  • Insider Training is Tuff.....

    0 0%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 133

Thread: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Could be a firing squad, but we both know that ain't gonna happen. Even a dishonorable discharge may be too much to hope for in the 21st century so to speak.
    Most of the Military I am hearing from.....says he should face Court Martial. Even if they lessen the charge to just AWOL. Also others say his Rank needs to be taken from him. There isn't any reason to up his pay grade.

    They can bust him down to a Private with no tripe while he awaits Trial.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Most of the Military I am hearing from.....says he should face Court Martial. Even if they lessen the charge to just AWOL. Also others say his Rank needs to be taken from him. There isn't any reason to up his pay grade.

    They can bust him down to a Private with no tripe while he awaits Trial.
    Maybe I mellowed in my old age, then again I may just be facing reality of the situation. I think Obama thought getting this dude back would take the VA scandal off the front page, perhaps it has. But it may be replaced with front page news on those 5 Taliban released and the Deserter status of this guy. That is if Berdahl was placed in that status to begin with which he should have been. But it tends to look as if he was carried as POW. How he was carried on the rolls may determine whether a court martial is warranted or not. Maybe even if the military can court martial him or not. Was this guy when he was discovered as missing and leaving his post of duty charged with awol and then desertion or was he just carried as a POW with no charges. It may be semantics to a lot of people, but his status, deserter vs. POW will probably determine what happens to him or could happen to him.

    I really doubt the Obama Administration will go the court martial route, so my best hope is the dishonorable discharge. Bust him, no problem. But a dishonorable discharge takes away any and all benefits he may have qualified for. So we will see what happens.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #73
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Well, I mean, the guy in Mexico is a totally different situation. He broke the law, and he's in prison. Surely you don't think Americans should be exempt from other countries' laws? That would set an awful precedent!

    As for Bergdahl being a sympathiser, I think it's absurd. Where's your evidence? That he had human interaction with his captors, who are also normal people? That he played badminton with them?

    If you think captured soldiers just repeat their dog-tag ID over and over again for five years in captivity, you've been playing too many WWII videogames.
    Bergdahl broke the law. 6 soldiers died because of his decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Maybe I mellowed in my old age, then again I may just be facing reality of the situation. I think Obama thought getting this dude back would take the VA scandal off the front page, perhaps it has. But it may be replaced with front page news on those 5 Taliban released and the Deserter status of this guy. That is if Berdahl was placed in that status to begin with which he should have been. But it tends to look as if he was carried as POW. How he was carried on the rolls may determine whether a court martial is warranted or not. Maybe even if the military can court martial him or not. Was this guy when he was discovered as missing and leaving his post of duty charged with awol and then desertion or was he just carried as a POW with no charges. It may be semantics to a lot of people, but his status, deserter vs. POW will probably determine what happens to him or could happen to him.

    I really doubt the Obama Administration will go the court martial route, so my best hope is the dishonorable discharge. Bust him, no problem. But a dishonorable discharge takes away any and all benefits he may have qualified for. So we will see what happens.


    Here is what WIKI has and has had. At least 6 soldiers were killed in the search for him. Note what he wrote home and told his father.


    Prior to capture[edit]

    On June 25, 2009, Bergdahl's battalion suffered its first casualty. First Lieutenant Brian Bradshaw was killed in a blast from a roadside bomb near the village of Yaya Kheyl, not far from Bergdahl's outpost. According to Rolling Stone,[18] Bergdahl's father believes that Bradshaw and Bergdahl had grown close at the National Training Center, and his death darkened his son's mood.

    Last e-mail to parents[edit]

    On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bergdahl sent a final e-mai*l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american.[sic] The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

    His e-mail went on to describe his disillusionment with the U.S. Army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing **** bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.".....snip~

    A Department of Defense statement issued on July 19 confirmed that Bergdahl was declared "missing/whereabouts unknown" on July 1, and his status was changed to "missing/captured" on July 3.[27] In the 28-minute video, his captors held up his dog tags to establish that the captured man was Bergdahl.[2] Bergdahl gave the date as July 14 and mentioned an attack that occurred that day.....snip~

    Bowe Bergdahl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #75
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Here is what WIKI has and has had. At least 6 soldiers were killed in the search for him. Note what he wrote home and told his father.


    Prior to capture[edit]

    On June 25, 2009, Bergdahl's battalion suffered its first casualty. First Lieutenant Brian Bradshaw was killed in a blast from a roadside bomb near the village of Yaya Kheyl, not far from Bergdahl's outpost. According to Rolling Stone,[18] Bergdahl's father believes that Bradshaw and Bergdahl had grown close at the National Training Center, and his death darkened his son's mood.

    Last e-mail to parents[edit]

    On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bergdahl sent a final e-mai*l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american.[sic] The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

    His e-mail went on to describe his disillusionment with the U.S. Army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing **** bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.".....snip~

    A Department of Defense statement issued on July 19 confirmed that Bergdahl was declared "missing/whereabouts unknown" on July 1, and his status was changed to "missing/captured" on July 3.[27] In the 28-minute video, his captors held up his dog tags to establish that the captured man was Bergdahl.[2] Bergdahl gave the date as July 14 and mentioned an attack that occurred that day.....snip~

    Bowe Bergdahl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I read the article, there are a lot of may have’s:

    Bergdahl went missing on the night of June 30, 2009 near the town of Yahya Kheyl in Paktika Province.[20] Accounts of his capture differ. In a video, Bergdahl stated that he was captured when he fell behind on a patrol.[2] Taliban sources allege he was ambushed after becoming drunk off base; U.S. military sources deny that claim, stating, "The Taliban are known for lying and what they are claiming [is] not true".[4] A Department of Defense spokesperson said, "I'm glad to see he appears unharmed, but again, this is a Taliban propaganda video. They are exploiting the soldier in violation of international law."[2][3] Other sources said Bergdahl walked off base after his shift[21] or that he was grabbed from a latrine.[22] Some soldiers who served with Bergdahl have alleged that he may have been a deserter.[23][24][25] Nathan Bradley Bethea, a member of Bergdahl's battalion wrote aDaily Beast article which stated that there was no patrol the night that Bergdahl went missing, and that Bergdahl had stated his desire to walk to India. Bethea states that the brigade received an order not to discuss Bergdahl due to safety reasons, but now that he has been found there is not a need for further silence. [26]

    And then there is this:

    On July 18, 2009, the Taliban released a video showing the captured Bergdahl.[2] In it, Bergdahl appeared downcast and frightened. ADepartment of Defense statement issued on July 19 confirmed that Bergdahl was declared "missing/whereabouts unknown" on July 1, and his status was changed to "missing/captured" on July 3.

    So the military carried him as a POW and not as a Deserter. Even before this, his status was Missing/where abouts unknown. Now there has to some documentation as to this status, why the military would resort to missing/where abouts unknown. It is not the standard MIA which may give credence that he walked off his post by his own free will.

    I don’t know, perhaps it is best to wait and see before jumping off the cliff. Now there is quite a lot in the article to give one question as to Bergdahl real status or why and how he left and was captured. Being captured in the latrine is one thing, walking off on his own into the wilds is another? Now I am sure he is undergoing shall I call it debriefing in Germany to get to the bottom of all of this. If it is found out for certain that we gave up five hard core Taliban for a deserter, that will leave a bunch of people very unhappy.

    But this little item at the bottom of the article really caught my attention:

    When Obama signed the bill, he released a signing statement saying that the restriction interfered with the president's executive power as commander in chief.[60]The White House released a statement acknowledging that the release of the Guantanamo prisoners did not comply with the law but cited the president's signing statement, and "unique and exigent circumstances" as justification

    So the president doesn’t have to obey the law? I guess Ford should have sent back those 500,000 troop to South Vietnam back in 1975, he could always say the restriction of not sending them back interfered with his authority as commander in chief or the stop bombing law that stopped us from bombing in Cambodia, Nixon should just have continued on with it as that also interfered with his authority as commander in chief. Another precedence has been set.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I read the article, there are a lot of may have’s:

    Bergdahl went missing on the night of June 30, 2009 near the town of Yahya Kheyl in Paktika Province.[20] Accounts of his capture differ. In a video, Bergdahl stated that he was captured when he fell behind on a patrol.[2] Taliban sources allege he was ambushed after becoming drunk off base; U.S. military sources deny that claim, stating, "The Taliban are known for lying and what they are claiming [is] not true".[4] A Department of Defense spokesperson said, "I'm glad to see he appears unharmed, but again, this is a Taliban propaganda video. They are exploiting the soldier in violation of international law."[2][3] Other sources said Bergdahl walked off base after his shift[21] or that he was grabbed from a latrine.[22] Some soldiers who served with Bergdahl have alleged that he may have been a deserter.[23][24][25] Nathan Bradley Bethea, a member of Bergdahl's battalion wrote aDaily Beast article which stated that there was no patrol the night that Bergdahl went missing, and that Bergdahl had stated his desire to walk to India. Bethea states that the brigade received an order not to discuss Bergdahl due to safety reasons, but now that he has been found there is not a need for further silence. [26]

    And then there is this:

    On July 18, 2009, the Taliban released a video showing the captured Bergdahl.[2] In it, Bergdahl appeared downcast and frightened. ADepartment of Defense statement issued on July 19 confirmed that Bergdahl was declared "missing/whereabouts unknown" on July 1, and his status was changed to "missing/captured" on July 3.

    So the military carried him as a POW and not as a Deserter. Even before this, his status was Missing/where abouts unknown. Now there has to some documentation as to this status, why the military would resort to missing/where abouts unknown. It is not the standard MIA which may give credence that he walked off his post by his own free will.

    I don’t know, perhaps it is best to wait and see before jumping off the cliff. Now there is quite a lot in the article to give one question as to Bergdahl real status or why and how he left and was captured. Being captured in the latrine is one thing, walking off on his own into the wilds is another? Now I am sure he is undergoing shall I call it debriefing in Germany to get to the bottom of all of this. If it is found out for certain that we gave up five hard core Taliban for a deserter, that will leave a bunch of people very unhappy.

    But this little item at the bottom of the article really caught my attention:

    When Obama signed the bill, he released a signing statement saying that the restriction interfered with the president's executive power as commander in chief.[60]The White House released a statement acknowledging that the release of the Guantanamo prisoners did not comply with the law but cited the president's signing statement, and "unique and exigent circumstances" as justification

    So the president doesn’t have to obey the law? I guess Ford should have sent back those 500,000 troop to South Vietnam back in 1975, he could always say the restriction of not sending them back interfered with his authority as commander in chief or the stop bombing law that stopped us from bombing in Cambodia, Nixon should just have continued on with it as that also interfered with his authority as commander in chief. Another precedence has been set.


    Well.....I am just showing you what they already have and known. Besides the disinformation lets not forget BO does use like to use distractions. Just sayin.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well.....I am just showing you what they already have and known. Besides the disinformation lets not forget BO does use like to use distractions. Just sayin.
    If he was a deserter, this is one distraction can come back to haunt big time. Not to mention if those five let loose start a killing spree against Americans or kidnapping more. Time will tell.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #78
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    For being Drunk, abandoning his unit and going U.A. Which cause the release of five dangerous men. He should be Court Martial and if convicted spend time at Ft. Leavenworth.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    I don't give a crap whether he drank green tea, played badminton, or taught the Taleban to play Bridge. What I do care about is that most available evidence suggests this guy was a deserter, and that's been known since the day after he disappeared. Six very good men apparently died trying to find him. Of course he should be court martialed. And if he's guilty of desertion he should face appropriate punishment.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #80
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartmouthwoman View Post
    Now that we've started negotiating with terrorists, no American is safe. 5 bad asses for one idiot. Sounds like another Obama bad decision.
    That policy is a bad one, anyway. Fighting terrorists successfully requires the same sort of adaptability as our criminal justice system.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •