View Poll Results: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    26 37.68%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    9 13.04%
  • Im not American, yes.

    1 1.45%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    8 11.59%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    18 26.09%
  • Im not American, no.

    7 10.14%
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 270

Thread: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

  1. #81
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I would agree with everything you said. But being proud of your country and what it has achieved, which in my case is the US, is not US exceptionalism.
    I agree there's nothing wrong with being proud of your country. But the term, 'American Exceptionalism' implies some sort of superiority over everyone else. Though, I believe the US has had "exceptional" achievements in comparative world history, we're also broadly a young nation made up of immigrants.

    Along with our natural resources, we may have had a more inclusive ideology at one time that benefited our successes but that's all eroding now.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #82
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's the problem in this world. Everyone thinks that they are the exception and they try to impose their exceptionalism on others. It's a very dangerous concept.
    I guess that's my problem with the term "American exceptionalism" .
    It seems as if the pundits who are most fond of the term, imply that our exceptionalism requires continuous warfare.
    Dennis Prager is the worst.
    Having said that, many aspects of our country are exceptional....so I'm voting yes.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  3. #83
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I agree there's nothing wrong with being proud of your country. But the term, 'American Exceptionalism' implies some sort of superiority over everyone else. Though, I believe the US has had "exceptional" achievements in comparative world history, we're also broadly a young nation made up of immigrants.

    Along with our natural resources, we may have had a more inclusive ideology at one time that benefited our successes but that's all eroding now.
    Thats true, but the definition of American Exceptionalism has been expanded to simply being proud of being American. You see people exclaiming those who make the claim the US is the most powerful military in the world and you will have that be defined as American exceptionalism. Even if the truth of such a statement can be argued and backed up with mountains of evidence. You will hear American exceptionalism thrown at someone stating America is the best country in the world. There is a lot of evidence that it is the best country in the world. There are a lot of countries that may be better off financially, or may have more freedom of speech, or may have less crime... ect ect.. But A good argument can be made that no other country does things as well across the board as the US does. We may not be at the top of the list in every category, but if you look at those lists, we hold high positions in almost all categories. Where most countries hold high positions in some categories, and very low positions on others. So to simply label someone who can back their assertions up with evidence as being an exceptionalist only amounts to sourness some may have of those facts, or otherwise called, jealousy.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  4. #84
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Thats true, but the definition of American Exceptionalism has been expanded to simply being proud of being American. You see people exclaiming those who make the claim the US is the most powerful military in the world and you will have that be defined as American exceptionalism. Even if the truth of such a statement can be argued and backed up with mountains of evidence. You will hear American exceptionalism thrown at someone stating America is the best country in the world. There is a lot of evidence that it is the best country in the world. There are a lot of countries that may be better off financially, or may have more freedom of speech, or may have less crime... ect ect.. But A good argument can be made that no other country does things as well across the board as the US does. We may not be at the top of the list in every category, but if you look at those lists, we hold high positions in almost all categories. Where most countries hold high positions in some categories, and very low positions on others. So to simply label someone who can back their assertions up with evidence as being an exceptionalist only amounts to sourness some may have of those facts, or otherwise called, jealousy.
    I still don't like the term, it conjures the image of King Kong pounding his chest.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #85
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I'd argue that the USA is exceptional by nearly all measures. Historically, militarily, culturally, socially, scientifically, agriculturally, and industrially.
    No other nation comes close across these measures, and the continued flooding to our shores of the worlds immigrants suggests others see it this way as well.
    And I would argue that those days are passe. We've seen it completely come apart at the seams in less than a decade. Thank you liberals for electing that goofball community organizer.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    I guess that's my problem with the term "American exceptionalism" .
    It seems as if the pundits who are most fond of the term, imply that our exceptionalism requires continuous warfare.
    Dennis Prager is the worst.
    Having said that, many aspects of our country are exceptional....so I'm voting yes.
    That is precisely the problem. It's like you have this bully that you try to tell, look people don't like it when you bully them around. Then the bully responds by saying that, you are wrong, they are just jealous of me because I'm exceptional. It's total BS.

  7. #87
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    And I would argue that those days are passe. We've seen it completely come apart at the seams in less than a decade. Thank you liberals for electing that goofball community organizer.
    So, if our "exceptionalism" can be dismantled in six short years, by a goofball, maybe we weren't all that exceptional.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  8. #88
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Hell no. What makes us so much "exceptional than other countries"?
    Ill let one of the greatest current TV shows to explain the rest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49NOyJ8fNA
    A fascinating and illustrative post. What are we looking at here? A posted display of inappropriate anger and rage, negative emotionalism. "How dare you say my own country is better than other countries?!!" Damn you!

    Posts such as this reveal a self perception of the angry, raging "Other."

    Always important to keep in mind on the internet that, regardless of elaborate measures to the contrary, one actually never knows anything about the person posting. You never know location, motive, gender, age, absolutely nothing. Over a series of time, sometimes the content of the posts are a giveaway. Best to never trust the representations online.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    And I would argue that those days are passe. We've seen it completely come apart at the seams in less than a decade. Thank you liberals for electing that goofball community organizer.
    I admit the almost embraced decline by neo marxists and other leftists is disturbing to see.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    It's not American Exceptionalism but Immigrant Exceptionalism.
    Good point, there are specific traits in immigrant groups that benefit the US greatly. And immigrants outperform others even of the same cultural background. But, this is also seen in other nations as well.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •