View Poll Results: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    26 37.68%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    9 13.04%
  • Im not American, yes.

    1 1.45%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    8 11.59%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    18 26.09%
  • Im not American, no.

    7 10.14%
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 270

Thread: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,760

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    So much emoting. Heres a thought-I started the thread to discuss the topic with forumites. Now do your best fonzie impression-what is fonzie?
    Cool.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Cool.
    And that's what we're gonna be, we're gonna be cool.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    I didn't choose an option because the options are pointless.


    All that matters is money and America currently has the best system for creating money so yes, in that respect, America is exceptional.


    However China is starting to change the game by demonstrating that you don't have to have democracy or strong institutions in order to create wealth for many people. In that sense, perhaps what China really shows us all is that democracy means nothing, what really truly matters and has always mattered is, Can you create the most wealth? If China ends up proving it can with Market Authoritarianism, then the entire idea of democracy being superior is simply a farce and all that ever truly mattered was allowing a market.


    In other words, here's a thought for the future.


    If markets are all that truly matter, how long until the world is simply run by one giant military junta that figures out that all they have to do is allow a market to exist and control, protect it? Democracy and Communism might be the true small ideas in the end.

  4. #104
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Hell no. What makes us so much "exceptional than other countries"?
    Oh, I don't know. I kind of like freedom of speech.


    The idea that individuals have rights granted them by their creator rather than by a government which can remove them at a whim is also an old favorite, admittedly.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I didn't choose an option because the options are pointless.


    All that matters is money and America currently has the best system for creating money so yes, in that respect, America is exceptional.


    However China is starting to change the game by demonstrating that you don't have to have democracy or strong institutions in order to create wealth for many people. In that sense, perhaps what China really shows us all is that democracy means nothing, what really truly matters and has always mattered is, Can you create the most wealth? If China ends up proving it can with Market Authoritarianism, then the entire idea of democracy being superior is simply a farce and all that ever truly mattered was allowing a market.


    In other words, here's a thought for the future.


    If markets are all that truly matter, how long until the world is simply run by one giant military junta that figures out that all they have to do is allow a market to exist and control, protect it? Democracy and Communism might be the true small ideas in the end.
    Its interesting how two people can look at the same thing and come to opposite conclusions. Communist nations are in decline, and have been for decades. China saw the writing on the wall and it owes its success in the last decade to adopting capitalist economic policies.

    You appear to think it demonstrates that "democracy means nothing".

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its interesting how two people can look at the same thing and come to opposite conclusions. Communist nations are in decline, and have been for decades. China saw the writing on the wall and it owes its success in the last decade to adopting capitalist economic policies.

    You appear to think it demonstrates that "democracy means nothing".


    China is not democratic. China is not Communist.


    China is simply a giant country run by a military junta that allows a free market. And it will soon be the greatest wealth creator on the planet. So what does that say about democracy or the need for it? A lot, I'd say.



    All the world truly needs is a global military faction to protect the global market. Such is why I believe various united, military factions of Nationalists will one day rule the entire planet and you will read about these little ideologies of democracy and communism in history books and people will go "How crazy that must have been!" (and I believe that will be an accurate reaction).
    Last edited by Ryan5; 06-02-14 at 02:05 AM.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    There is nothing more socialist than believing in the notion that your country and by extension you are great thanks to things you had nothing to do with. It's like those people who run around saying "we built this country!". "We" didn't build anything. I'm sure the Empire State Building was already around by 1985. If anything, a small fraction of America is exceptional while the rest are just leeches.

    There is nothing exceptional about the average overweight, undereducated, highly religious never-been-out-of-'Murica, American. There is nothing exceptional about the millions of slum dwellers this country has. There is nothing exceptional about the people who get by 'doing what they need to do'. Who are the exceptional Americans? The ones at the forefront of technology, the ones in our military, the ones defining worldwide tastes in art, the ones creating biotechnology.

    Joe Black sitting on his front porch with his mullet and tattoos? He's about as exceptional as any other cockroach.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-02-14 at 02:50 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    China is not Communist.
    Right.

  9. #109
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The problem is finding "any large group of people" to do that. I'd argue that those who exhibit such traits could be considered Americans living abroad.
    Jesus Christ, dude....

  10. #110
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Oh, I don't know. I kind of like freedom of speech.
    Do you like being designated as an 'enemy of the state', imprisoned and tortured for the rest of your life without possibility of appeal?

    The idea that individuals have rights granted them by their creator rather than by a government which can remove them at a whim is also an old favorite, admittedly.
    America is unique in this regard?

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •