View Poll Results: Donald Sterling must sell his NBA team

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 34.33%
  • No

    44 65.67%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 182

Thread: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

  1. #171
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Again, you are making legal arguments and I am not... This is going nowhere.
    Again, its up to the 29 owners who'll make the decision, not Donald Sterling.


  2. #172
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You compared a public official to a private businessman and there is a world of difference. Public officials represent ME and make decisions about my money, my community and things that have a direct impact on my life. Therefore, I have a right to know who they are and what they believe.... Not to prosecute them or take their private property away, but to determine if their character and moral standards earn them the right to represent my views and beliefs, and make desisions on my behalf.
    That is true, but as a customer there are times I would like to know about who I am doing business with. There is nothing wrong with that.

    You're correct about one thing though... His privacy is not a defense... it's an American right that's afforded to every private citizens. If that weren't true, warrants for phone taps and searching your home would not exist now, nor would they have ever existed.
    And that right protects you from the government and that is not the issue here. That is the point. He has a right to privacy but that privacy was violated and he is free to sue the people who released it. But that doesn't change the fact that it is out there. Now he could avoid the NBA sanctions if he can prove the NBA set him up, but other than that his privacy is not relevant.

    Forcing him to sell that which he owns and has paid for, not having committed any crime or inflicted harm on others, violates the principals this nation was founded on. The league may have the legal right to force him to sell the team, but that doesn't make it right and it damned sure doesn't make it consistent with the values and freedom the nation was founded on.
    Again, principles are not the point here. You can say it isn't right but that has about as much weight as those who think that CEOs shouldn't get paid as much as they do. And while it is consistent with the freedom this country is founded on because the NBA is free to create the rules their company lives under. You seem to just be angry that he got caught.

    I look at it this way... The moment he said what he did, was he violating the law, violating the terms of his agreement with the NBA, or in any way, shape or form, should have believed his words would violate that contract?
    None of that matters, you can't unring the bell. His words create an image that hurts the NBA and that is what the problem is.

    You want to play thought police, that's your choice... I choose to honor and respect American principals, aka "do what is right".
    Again no thought police. The reaction of the NBA is due to the direct damage done to the brand. As for honoring and respecting the American principles well the right for a company to have its own rules and by-laws is as American as it comes.

  3. #173
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,119
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Um....yes you are making "legal" argument when you argue about what a franchise can do with a license contract with a franchisee.

    It is called "contract law", you are discussing, debating it.

    Your argument goes nowhere.
    The op asked how would you vote... I never specified that your choice had to be based on a specific set of paramiters. Your vote can be based on anything and mine happens to be on American principals. Making a legal argument based on the terms of his agreement with the NBA is your choice, but it isn't mine.

    Just because he may have indeed violated that contract, that does not mean he automatically has to sell the team, otherwise there would be no need for a vote. It's obvious you would vote to boot him out and I respect that, but I would not, something you obviously do not understand nor respect.

  4. #174
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    I wonder how this would play out if Mr. Sterling was under fire for expressing an opinion that is controversial, but on a side that those on the far-wrong tend to favor, such as supporting “gay marriage” or drug legalization. I rather suspect that the very same people who are defending the efforts to punish him for expressing the opinion that he did would be his staunchest defenders if that was the case. The far wrong is all for free thought and free speech, as long as you only use it for thoughts and speech with which they agree.
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 05-25-14 at 05:29 PM. Reason: May Laurence Tureaud have compassion toward you. — http://tinyurl.com/LaurenceTureaud
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    The op asked how would you vote... I never specified that your choice had to be based on a specific set of paramiters. Your vote can be based on anything and mine happens to be on American principals. Making a legal argument based on the terms of his agreement with the NBA is your choice, but it isn't mine.
    LOL...I just got done reposting your own argument justifying YOUR vote:

    "nobody has the right to take your personal property or deny you the right to conduct business at a company that you legally paid for and own."

    Again, you are arguing your vote in terms of the contract between the franchise and the franchisee, ie contract law.



    Just because he may have indeed violated that contract, that does not mean he automatically has to sell the team, otherwise there would be no need for a vote.
    Straw, I never brought up anything about "automatic".
    It's obvious you would vote to boot him out and I respect that, but I would not, something you obviously do not understand nor respect.
    Why in the **** would I have to "respect" anything you say, especially when it is diverting from the fact that I am trying to get you to realize that you were arguing about contract law, and like the horse, you think that other things should trump the contract.

    And I am still waiting for you to explain how Adam Silver is being unreasonable in his decision of this contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #176
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I wonder how this would play out if Mr. Sterling was under fire for expressing an opinion that is controversial, but on a side that those on the far-wrong tend to favor, such as supporting “gay marriage” or drug legalization.
    In neither of those cases do we see an attack on people and nor do I think that it would hurt the brand as much as what he did say, so your point is just not at all relevant. You are comparing dynamite and cream cheese.


    I rather suspect that the very same people who are defending the efforts to punish him for expressing the opinion that he did would be his staunchest defenders if that was the case
    .

    that may be true for some, but in the end the issue is about hurting the league and the right for the league to drum him out. So the question is what opinion would be so uncomfortable for a majority of the people to have a bad reaction to the point it would hurt the league? I can think of a scenario? Help me out.


    The far wrong is all for free thought and free speech, as long as you only use it for thoughts and speech with which they agree.
    I know you think that is clever but it is an insane statement.

    Now I must address your signature:



    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    Again your attempt to be clever makes you sound like a sheep of the right wing noise machine.

    We can be Godless and free.
    Well you can but most liberals don't believe this as many of us are religious.

    • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. •
    What do you even mean>

    Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”.
    Again most liberals are religious. Oh you seem to be talking about being critical of bigotry disguised as religion. I guess you are defending hate.
    • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility.
    Most liberals have a morality and take responsibility. The failure of the right is to be comfortable with the notion that others might see what is moral differently from them.

    Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.
    Liberals aren't intentionally undermining the family, that is a lie. But that said isn't it the right blocking people who love each other from formalizing their love through marriage and creating strong families?

  7. #177
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Wasn't aware that you were a Marxist-Leninist.
    It's called "socialist". I made no mention of class struggle, at all. However, if you continue making middle school quality jokes about michael sam i really don't care if it bothers you or you can't make the distinction.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It's called "socialist". I made no mention of class struggle, at all. However, if you continue making middle school quality jokes about michael sam i really don't care if it bothers you or you can't make the distinction.
    Advocating the seizure of private property from the bourgeoisie and declaring popular control is straight out of Lenin's playbook. What do you think the October Revolution vs. the czars was about, Halloween candy?

    And how the hell does Michael Sam affect THIS?

  9. #179
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Advocating the seizure of private property from the bourgeoisie and declaring popular control is straight out of Lenin's playbook. What do you think the October Revolution vs. the czars was about, Halloween candy?

    And how the hell does Michael Sam affect THIS?
    It's not private when they get subsidies from the govt and the stadiums are built with taxpayer $. Some of the NBA teams even had to take bailouts from others cause of massive debt.

    Even if this particular desire was leninist it's only one aspect of the economy, ownership of pro sports teams due to said owners showing such pigheadedness (marge schott's "Hitler wasn't so bad" and "no one is more upset than me" when an ump died on the field also comes to mind) i'd rather they're just all gone so i don't need to hear of them again.

    Do you want all high school and college sports teams converted into for profit too?

    Sam doesn't affect this at all, but after reading that trash, go ahead and think i'm marxist-leninist, all good to me.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Freedom of speech period.

    The man has a right to his opinion, The bigger issue here is why was she taping their conversations in the first place was she just trying to get something on this gentlemen?

    from what i have read she had over 100 hours of audio conversations, and that was all she could hang him with? wow clearly she had an agenda.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •