View Poll Results: Donald Sterling must sell his NBA team

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 34.33%
  • No

    44 65.67%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 182

Thread: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

  1. #161
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Try reading what I have written and I believe it's pretty clear. Eight letters, it starts with an "A" and ends with an "N"



    That is correct... But unlike public officials, Donald Sterling was not elected by me and entrusted to make decisions about the laws that effect my life, or how my tax money is spent.




    A leg to stand on?

    What part of "I'm not making a legal argument" are you having trouble understanding?
    Did you forget the premise of your poll???? It's not Donald Sterling who will make the decision, it all the owners who will.


  2. #162
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I don't care how racist, ignorant, hateful or moronic Donald Sterling is, this is America and as long as you aren't breaking the law, trampling on the rights of others, or causing harm to others (offending someone is not a crime) nobody has the right to take your personal property or deny you the right to conduct business at a company that you legally paid for and own.
    You are disregarding the contract he signed, the rules of the league and conflating "ownership" with license.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #163
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yeah, I bet you think CEOs who get fired for stupid tweets are actually getting fired for "restructuring" purposes too.
    I bet that I don't know what the **** you are talking about.


  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I bet that I don't know what the **** you are talking about.
    Finally something we agree on.

  5. #165
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Straw, that isn't argument, the argument you used was that within the league decisions, what he says should be private and should not be used against him within the league. Again, his privacy is not a defense, the damage is done, it cannot be "unsaid".

    The point still was that if you believe in some "privacy" for him, it should extend to politicians if their private action have no bearing on taxes or laws.
    You compared a public official to a private businessman and there is a world of difference. Public officials represent ME and make decisions about my money, my community and things that have a direct impact on my life. Therefore, I have a right to know who they are and what they believe.... Not to prosecute them or take their private property away, but to determine if their character and moral standards earn them the right to represent my views and beliefs, and make desisions on my behalf.

    You're correct about one thing though... His privacy is not a defense... it's an American right that's afforded to every private citizens. If that weren't true, warrants for phone taps and searching your home would not exist now, nor would they have ever existed.

    Forcing him to sell that which he owns and has paid for, not having committed any crime or inflicted harm on others, violates the principals this nation was founded on. The league may have the legal right to force him to sell the team, but that doesn't make it right and it damned sure doesn't make it consistent with the values and freedom the nation was founded on.

    I look at it this way... The moment he said what he did, was he violating the law, violating the terms of his agreement with the NBA, or in any way, shape or form, should have believed his words would violate that contract?

    You want to play thought police, that's your choice... I choose to honor and respect American principals, aka "do what is right".
    Last edited by Grim17; 05-25-14 at 04:21 PM.

  6. #166
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You compared a public official to a private businessman and there is a world of difference. Public officials represent ME and make decisions about my money, my community and things that have a direct impact on my life. Therefore, I have a right to know who they are and what they believe.... Not to prosecute them or take their private property away, but to determine if their character and moral standards earn them the right to represent my views and beliefs, and make desisions on my behalf.

    You're correct about one thing though... His privacy is not a defense... it's an American right that's afforded to every private citizens. If that weren't true, warrants for phone taps and searching your home would not exist now, nor would they have ever existed.

    Forcing him to sell that which he owns and has paid for, not having committed any crime or inflicted harm on others, violates the principals this nation was founded on. The league may have the legal right to force him to sell the team, but that doesn't make it right and it damned sure doesn't make it consistent with the values and freedom the nation was founded on.

    You want to play thought police, that's your choice... I choose to honor and respect American principals, aka "do what is right".
    Do you realize it's the other 29 owners who will make the decision and not Donald Sterling?


  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?


  8. #168
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You compared a public official to a private businessman and there is a world of difference. Public officials represent ME and make decisions about my money, my community and things that have a direct impact on my life. Therefore, I have a right to know who they are and what they believe.... Not to prosecute them or take their private property away, but to determine if their character and moral standards earn them the right to represent my views and beliefs, and make desisions on my behalf.
    This means nothing, since your criteria was whether their private actions effect laws or taxes.

    You're correct about one thing though... His privacy is not a defense... it's an American right that's afforded to every private citizens. If that weren't true, warrants for phone taps and searching your home would not exist now, nor would they have ever existed
    . Non-sequitur, the issue is whether the league can act on something he says or does when it becomes public. They can and will, since this is a matter of contract between the franchise and franchisee.

    Forcing him to sell that which he owns and has paid for, not having committed any crime or inflicted harm on others, violates the principals this nation was founded on. The league may have the legal right to force him to sell the team, but that doesn't make it right and it damned sure doesn't make it consistent with the values and freedom the nation was founded on.
    Again, this is a matter of the contract between the franchise and the franchisee, you, like the horse, are trying to argue that something else trumps the contract of the franchise.

    You want to play thought police, that's your choice... I choose to honor and respect American principals, aka "do what is right".
    I believe in honoring the terms of a contract signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #169
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This means nothing, since your criteria was whether their private actions effect laws or taxes.

    . Non-sequitur, the issue is whether the league can act on something he says or does when it becomes public. They can and will, since this is a matter of contract between the franchise and franchisee.

    Again, this is a matter of the contract between the franchise and the franchisee, you, like the horse, are trying to argue that something else trumps the contract of the franchise.

    I believe in honoring the terms of a contract signed.
    Again, you are making legal arguments and I am not... This is going nowhere.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Again, you are making legal arguments and I am not... This is going nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I don't care how racist, ignorant, hateful or moronic Donald Sterling is, this is America and as long as you aren't breaking the law, trampling on the rights of others, or causing harm to others (offending someone is not a crime) nobody has the right to take your personal property or deny you the right to conduct business at a company that you legally paid for and own.
    Um....yes you are making "legal" argument when you argue about what a franchise can do with a license contract with a franchisee.

    It is called "contract law", you are discussing, debating it.

    Your argument goes nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •