View Poll Results: Donald Sterling must sell his NBA team

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 34.33%
  • No

    44 65.67%
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 182

Thread: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I believe in personal ownership rights.
    You are just repeating yourself without explaining, in opposition to the request made in the OP.

    But then again, obligation is obviously not something you believe in.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #142
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are just repeating yourself without explaining, in opposition to the request made in the OP.

    But then again, obligation is obviously not something you believe in.
    I already explained it.

    How are you making out with getting the others whose opinion you disagree with to explain it? I can't imagine I'm the only person in the thread whose opinion is relevant to you. Or am I?

    I believe in personal property rights. I also believe that what Sterling did was inconsequential. I don't believe it will hurt the NBA. If it did, the NBA is in big trouble anyway.

    Luckily for you, though, I'm not an NBA team owner, so it doesn't really matter what I think, does it? It isn't my decision what happens to Sterling. I have no control over it, nor do I care one way or another.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I already explained it.
    No, I asked you to express your understanding of the limitations of "property rights".
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #144
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Shortly after the release of an audio recording this past Saturday morning of a conversation that allegedly included Clippers owner Donald Sterling, the NBA commenced an investigation, which among other things, included an interview of Mr. Sterling.

    That investigation is now complete. The central findings of the investigation are that the man whose voice is heard on the recording and on a second recording from the same conversation that was released on Sunday is Mr. Sterling and that the hateful opinions voiced by that man are those of Mr. Sterling.

    The views expressed by Mr. Sterling are deeply offensive and harmful; that they came from an NBA owner only heightens the damage and my personal outrage.

    Sentiments of this kind are contrary to the principles of inclusion and respect that form the foundation of our diverse, multicultural and multiethnic league.

    I am personally distraught that the views expressed by Mr. Sterling came from within an institution that has historically taken such a leadership role in matters of race relations and caused current and former players, coaches, fans and partners of the NBA to question their very association with the league.

    To them, and pioneers of the game like Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, Sweetwater Clifton, the great Bill Russell, and particularly Magic Johnson, I apologize. Accordingly, effective immediately, I am banning Mr. Sterling for life from any association with the Clippers organization or the NBA. Mr. Sterling may not attend any NBA games or practices. He may not be present at any Clippers facility, and he may not participate in any business or player personnel decisions involving the team.

    He will also be barred from attending NBA Board of Governors meetings or participating in any other league activity.

    I am also fining Mr. Sterling $2.5 million, the maximum amount allowed under the NBA constitution. These funds will be donated to organizations dedicated to anti discrimination and tolerance efforts that will be jointly selected by the NBA and its Players Association.

    As for Mr. Sterling's ownership interest in the Clippers, I will urge the Board of Governors to exercise its authority to force a sale of the team and will do everything in my power to ensure that that happens. This has been a painful moment for all members of the NBA family. I appreciate the support and understanding of our players during this process, and I am particularly grateful for the leadership shown by Coach Doc Rivers, Union President Chris Paul and Mayor Kevin Johnson of Sacramento, who has been acting as the players' representative in this matter.

    We stand together in condemning Mr. Sterling's views. They simply have no place in the NBA.

    Thank you, and I'll take any questions.

    Full transcript of Adam Silver on Donald Sterling ban
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #145
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, I asked you to express your understanding of the limitations of "property rights".
    And I said I understand personal property rights. I have my opinion on them.

    What are the opinions of the others who said they would vote "no"? I missed you pointing out to them - conservatives and liberals alike - that they shouldn't vote "no". Can you point out which posts they are?

  6. #146
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And I said I understand personal property rights. I have my opinion on them.
    but you cannot express an understanding of their limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #147
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Once the racist comments become out, privacy doesn't matter, it cannot be used as defense. The damage is done. The issue becomes whether or not the league can afford to keep as a member someone who holds to the views, no matter how those views came to light.
    Again, I'm not making a legal argument, I'm making one of principal.

  8. #148
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,478
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Yes because he's bad for my business. We're franchise owners and he's devaluing the brand.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #149
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Again, I'm not making a legal argument, I'm making one of principal.
    What....the "principle" of privacy?

    You have no qualms about the "privacy" of public officials when what they do in "private" comes out and damages them.

    Please, don't base your argument on "privacy", your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Would you vote to take the Clippers from Donald Sterling?

    As far as the sale of the team, I'm opposed to it - but he did agree to abide by the NBA's constitution. It'd be no different than people who decide to buy homes in places where they have home owner's associations or condo committees.

    That "Secret" NBA Constitution Is Now Online

    The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $1,000,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any person who, in his opinion, shall have been guilty of conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.

    The Membership of a Member or the interest of any Owner may be terminated by a vote of three fourths (3/4) of the Board of Governors if the Member or Owner shall do or suffer any of the following:

    (a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association.
    It's a damn shame because I don't think what he did was terrible. However, an NBA team isn't a car or a house. He doesn't own the team in that sense. He is more like the owner of a condo than the owner of a house. It may be paid in full but if he doesn't follow certain regulations and laws, he can be forced out and he agreed with that.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •