View Poll Results: What do you think of the new Post Office proposal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the plan

    16 26.23%
  • Hate the plan

    39 63.93%
  • Don't care ...

    6 9.84%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 220

Thread: Should door to door mail delivery end?

  1. #21
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    I think that door to door delivery is outdated and should be stopped. For a company (or entity) to be hemorraghing money like the USPS has for the last few years, they need to do whatever they can do to stop the losses.

    As far as the poor, they can walk a mile to a mailbox. The elderly can have whomever helps them out pick up their mail for them. If they are unable to go get their mail, then certainly they have people who help to care for them.

    I also like Winchester's idea of cutting back delivery to a few days a week. Hell, I don't do anything with the mail anymore. Most everything I do, I do online. All my bills come to me online, I pay them all online. All I get in the mail is a bunch of junk mail and catalogs that never seem to stop, no matter how many times I ask them to stop sending them.

    I also agree with AW - even though I get nothing but junk mail, I always am anticipatory about going to the mailbox and getting something cool - something unexpected. But it's always junk mail or those damn catalogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,485

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    Stop ALL deliveries on solicitations and advertising. Make those use the private carriers. USPS mail should be solely letter and package deliveries. Just because the USPS can't manage their business properly, people have to stop receiving the same service? Fix the problem of too much junk mail or quit subsidizing it at least. Charge them way more to spam mailboxes with bank solicitations and lawn care ads.

    Also, fix the problem of incorrect addressees. I get junk mail for 3 people that don't live at my house. Its piss poor management to blame for the USPS downfall, plain and simple. Become more efficient. That is a lost cause though because it is gov't. ran. Innovation and ingenuity aren't terms often used to describe gov't. ran businesses.
    The post office would cease to exist w/o all that volume.

  3. #23
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Anyone who can't walk 1/4 mile to get their mail probably shouldn't be living alone.

    The exercise would be good for just about everyone.
    Anyone that can't wait a day or two more for their snail mail service to help reduce costs (postal rates) probably can afford to use a commercial delivery service.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #24
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    The USPS is funded solely by postage fees. None of your taxes ever pay for mail delivery.
    BULL****!

    Postal Service claim not fully on target | PolitiFact Georgia

    In 2009, the Postal Service began borrowing money from the U.S. Treasury Department to deal with its troubles. Some news accounts report the service reached its borrowing limit of $15 billion in September 2012.

    ...

    The Postal Service wrote in a November 2012 press release that it had a record fiscal year deficit of nearly $16 billion.
    A $16 billion deficit with another $15 billion in the hole to the taxpayer and they're less and less able to pay us back every year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    The prices you showed were ground and may take over a week... three day rates are twice as much. US mail goes over 2000 miles in three days.
    WRONG:
    Should door to door mail delivery end?-id-jpg
    FedEx ground is just as fast as USPS ground, 1-3 days guaranteed AND you can track it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Still waiting for you to tell how FedX is better.
    I never claimed that they were, but I'd love to hear you say anything that isn't utterly wrong on this subject.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  5. #25
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    Stop ALL deliveries on solicitations and advertising. Make those use the private carriers. USPS mail should be solely letter and package deliveries. Just because the USPS can't manage their business properly, people have to stop receiving the same service? Fix the problem of too much junk mail or quit subsidizing it at least. Charge them way more to spam mailboxes with bank solicitations and lawn care ads.

    Also, fix the problem of incorrect addressees. I get junk mail for 3 people that don't live at my house. Its piss poor management to blame for the USPS downfall, plain and simple. Become more efficient. That is a lost cause though because it is gov't. ran. Innovation and ingenuity aren't terms often used to describe gov't. ran businesses.
    No. The bulk mail is the sole reason why the PO isn't a total write off financially.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Ax the Post Office...use private companies to deliver the mail.


    And btw, Canada has had 'centralized delivery mailbox''s for years...and they haven't dropped dead from it.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    BULL****!

    Postal Service claim not fully on target | PolitiFact Georgia



    A $16 billion deficit with another $15 billion in the hole to the taxpayer and they're less and less able to pay us back every year.


    WRONG:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]67166920[/ATTACH ]
    FedEx ground is just as fast as USPS ground, 1-3 days guaranteed AND you can track it.



    I never claimed that they were, but I'd love to hear you say anything that isn't utterly wrong on this subject.
    A loan is not a subsidy. To say it is, is telling a lie.
    Compare Fed X and UPS rates to Alaska and Hawaii with those of the USPS.
    The USPS is having trouble due to the substantial loss of volume brought on by the use of E-Mail so small adjustments in postage rates are needed to get them solvent The utter falsehood is to say that the private sector can do what the USPS does better.

  8. #28
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    The utter falsehood is to say that the private sector can do what the USPS does better.
    They would do it better because they wouldn't do it the same.

  9. #29
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    A loan is not a subsidy.
    To say it is, is telling a lie.
    Compare Fed X and UPS rates to Alaska and Hawaii with those of the USPS.
    The USPS is having trouble due to the substantial loss of volume brought on by the use of E-Mail so small adjustments in postage rates are needed to get them solvent The utter falsehood is to say that the private sector can do what the USPS does better.



    It all depends on how the loan is structured.

    A zero interest loan is a huge subsidy.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The story is our US Post Office is loosing tons of money - the reasons are a bit complex but suffice to say they have been running in the red for quite some time and something has to give. A recent bill H.R. 4670, Secure Delivery for America Act of 2014 -- was approved by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee recently. This bill basically removes at home delivery and creates a centralized delivery mailbox (outdoors or indoors) where people will need to travel to pick up their daily mail, USPS packages, etc. The saving is estimated (yeah right - sorry but government identifying savings is like NASA stumbling on a "faster than the speed of light warp drive") to be $2 Billion per year.


    Like that plan? Hate that plan? or Don't care... choose one and don't forget to give a blurb reply about your answer.
    Hate the plan because it continues the USPS, which basically just delivers me junk mail every day now. The best plan eliminates the USPS alltogether.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •