View Poll Results: What do you think of the new Post Office proposal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the plan

    16 26.23%
  • Hate the plan

    39 63.93%
  • Don't care ...

    6 9.84%
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 220

Thread: Should door to door mail delivery end?

  1. #191
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    If congress wouldn't let the Post Office stop Saturday deliveries then why would they stop rural deliveries? This is a fun topic to discuss but nothing is changing any time soon. This should be self evident.
    Congress will only do the things that make it look like it's the USPS' fault. One theory is they are trying to break the USPS, and turn it over to crony business friends.

  2. #192
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Nobody will argue with you. FedEx is much better. There is no contest.

    It's like comparing a rib eye steak that cost $500 to a $1 hamburger at McDonald's. The $500 rib eye steak is much better.

    Nobody is arguing with your point. You are just ignoring the comments that the USPS provides better value.
    I'm not saying it doesn't provide a better value, but you are comparing apples to oranges here, or, as you said, a steak to a hamburger.

    You can't compare 3 to 4 day delivery to overnight delivery. There is absolutely no comparison. It would have made much more sense to get the price from FedEx for 3 to 4 day delivery and then compare that price to the price charged by the USPS. It wouldn't be "OMG IT'S 43 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE TO SHIP FEDEX" so you wouldn't have really hammered home the point that you were trying to make.

    FedEx ground, shipping from one side of the country (East coast) to the other (West coast), trackable - is $8.91, and the package will be there in 4 days.

    The USPS option is $5.05 for Priority Mail, which is not really trackable, but gives you confirmation when the delivery is complete. If you need tracking, you can only get that with Express mail, and that is $18.

    So there's no way to really compare the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Every single time the post office had competition it got its ass handed to it in either mail or package delivery. Besides it being a welfare type program for the poor it doesn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever.

  4. #194
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I'm not saying it doesn't provide a better value, but you are comparing apples to oranges here, or, as you said, a steak to a hamburger.

    You can't compare 3 to 4 day delivery to overnight delivery. There is absolutely no comparison. It would have made much more sense to get the price from FedEx for 3 to 4 day delivery and then compare that price to the price charged by the USPS. It wouldn't be "OMG IT'S 43 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE TO SHIP FEDEX" so you wouldn't have really hammered home the point that you were trying to make.

    FedEx ground, shipping from one side of the country (East coast) to the other (West coast), trackable - is $8.91, and the package will be there in 4 days.

    The USPS option is $5.05 for Priority Mail, which is not really trackable, but gives you confirmation when the delivery is complete. If you need tracking, you can only get that with Express mail, and that is $18.


    So there's no way to really compare the two.
    I use both services, depending on costs and my needs.

    If I need tracking I use FedEx. (UPS is even more expensive for the same thing, and doesn't do any better.)

    If tracking isn't important, I use USPS because it's cheaper. And I don't care what anybody says, my experiences regarding reliability has been similar for all of them.

    USPS's delivery confirmation has always been hit-and-miss. They now claims to have real-time tracking as of several months ago, but I'm still skeptical. This is where USPS falls down, IMO. Customers want and expect real-time tracking now, and USPS fights it tooth-and-nail.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #195
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    The USPS is not subsidized one bit at all. They are non-profit, and pay for themselves, with shipping fee revenues. The only reason they are operating in the Red is because of what congress already did to them, extorting money from them.
    In fact they are subsidized. Read their financials where they get a few billion a year in capital investments (property gifts). Then theres the more indirect subsidies.

    The Post Office wasn't happy with my recent post, "Obama's Post Office Mistake." A spokesman sent me a letter claiming that: "The Postal Service is not government subsidized. The last time the Postal Service received taxpayer money for its operation was 1982."

    Well, that’s true but mostly not true. Not paying parking tickets and monopoly powers are certainly a form of subsidy. In addition, The Post Office doesn't have to pay state or local taxes, and it gets to borrow billions from the government at reduced rates ($10.2 billion, by the end of this year, according to the GAO.) Last year, the FTC found that the Post Office received implicit subsidies of $34 to $117 million -- and that's not counting the monopoly, its biggest benefit.

    When we confronted the Post Office spokesman about that, he admitted that they received those subsidies, but added: "the government gives, but it also takes away. On the negative side, because of the responsibilities given to us by the law, we show a net loss [in terms of subsidies.]"
    The Post Office IS Subsidized | Stossel's Take Blog | Stossel | Fox Business

  6. #196
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    In fact they are subsidized. Read their financials where they get a few billion a year in capital investments (property gifts). Then theres the more indirect subsidies.



    The Post Office IS Subsidized | Stossel's Take Blog | Stossel | Fox Business
    Look up the actual definition of subsidy.

  7. #197
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I use both services, depending on costs and my needs.

    If I need tracking I use FedEx. (UPS is even more expensive for the same thing, and doesn't do any better.)

    If tracking isn't important, I use USPS because it's cheaper. And I don't care what anybody says, my experiences regarding reliability has been similar for all of them.

    USPS's delivery confirmation has always been hit-and-miss. They now claims to have real-time tracking as of several months ago, but I'm still skeptical. This is where USPS falls down, IMO. Customers want and expect real-time tracking now, and USPS fights it tooth-and-nail.
    Exactly.

    They fight it because they are unreliable. I honestly believe that. If they guarantee you that a package will be there by a certain time, it absolutely has to be there by a certain time. They have, for 200 years, been around, and that's great, but you just can't rely on them for anything that's truly important. My best friend used to be a postal worker, and they just have this culture of indifference about them, that it doesn't really matter because they are going to be around, no matter whether they can get a simple delivery there, on time, or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    They tried it in August 2013. Do you remember what happened?
    No, what happened. Shows what Saturday delivery means to me.

  9. #199
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Exactly.

    They fight it because they are unreliable. I honestly believe that. If they guarantee you that a package will be there by a certain time, it absolutely has to be there by a certain time. They have, for 200 years, been around, and that's great, but you just can't rely on them for anything that's truly important. My best friend used to be a postal worker, and they just have this culture of indifference about them, that it doesn't really matter because they are going to be around, no matter whether they can get a simple delivery there, on time, or not.
    Bingo! Agree completely.

    I also believe that guaranteeing anything would require them to change their mindset... their "culture of indifference" (I like that) as you call it... and they simply don't want to do that. Have you even been to the PO and notice how quiet and slow things move in the back? They'd have to move faster and with purpose and urgency.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #200
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,630

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    People in rural areas without broadband who lose their mail service won't be able to get their netflix DVDs, magazines, newspapers, catalogs, voter information packets, packages etc. because the commercial delivery services will not find it profitable to deliver to such areas and a telephone modem is too slow. The postal service is required to deliver to everyone and that requirement makes it a tool for effective democracy. If the rest of us ever experience lengthy power outages or loss of broadband due to sabotage, war or disaster we will be glad to have a backup system.
    As a 'people in the rural areas' allow me a few words...

    In the event of power outages, war and the like the mail service gets compromised as well- tornadoes, floods and ice storms block roads as well as cause power outages- ask me how I know....

    Most of us go to town at least once a week- mail can be picked up at the post office. People without broadband are not without a way to get to a 'red box' and rent the movie (I hear tell some even borrow burned copies...shhhhhhhh)

    I can tell you this much- we who live out past pizza delivery accept many things as part of that, mainly no pizza delivery!!!!!

    Run out of milk, better keep at least a half tank of fuel in the vehicle- have a list for what you need in town, you ain't going back if you forgot something. Don't know about the rural you live in but the rural I live in has broadband and even internet via satellite. We have things like generators and chainsaws, 4 wheel drives and tractors... but what we don't have and really don't need is someone making it sound like we can't drive to town for a pizza and our mail....

    Thank you, and please refrain from including all of us in your 'concern'...

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •