View Poll Results: What do you think of the new Post Office proposal?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the plan

    16 26.23%
  • Hate the plan

    39 63.93%
  • Don't care ...

    6 9.84%
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 220

Thread: Should door to door mail delivery end?

  1. #141
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    The Post Office has been operationally profitable since October, 2012. In fiscal 2013 it had an operating profit of $623 million. In the first quarter of 2014 it showed a profit of $765 million. Letter volume has made a modest comeback as the economy has gotten a little better but there has been tremendous growth in parcel delivery, up over 14% last quarter. The internet has hurt first class mail volume but online shopping has more than offset the lost revenue. What's killing the PO is the 5.6 billion it has to pre fund every year. That plus the billions in excess it has been forced to pay into its civil service and FERS retirement accounts. Take away the forced pre funding of retiree health benefits and there would be no problems.

  2. #142
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    I would rather see the USPS raise rates.

  3. #143
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I cannot return my absentee ballot by e - mail.
    You'll have to pay FedEx... and that cost will be a "poll tax"...
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #144
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    The Post Office has been operationally profitable since October, 2012. In fiscal 2013 it had an operating profit of $623 million. In the first quarter of 2014 it showed a profit of $765 million. Letter volume has made a modest comeback as the economy has gotten a little better but there has been tremendous growth in parcel delivery, up over 14% last quarter. The internet has hurt first class mail volume but online shopping has more than offset the lost revenue. What's killing the PO is the 5.6 billion it has to pre fund every year. That plus the billions in excess it has been forced to pay into its civil service and FERS retirement accounts. Take away the forced pre funding of retiree health benefits and there would be no problems.
    This thread has some of the most egregious displays of ignorance I have seen in a long time. The part highlighted in red is the primary issue facing the USPS, and it's not a secret, yet I find it appalling that so few people are aware of it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,016

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Who cares about broadband? You don't need broadband to get your e-mail. So long as you have a phone, you can get e-mail.
    There is also wireless, including satelite.

  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,016

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Let them eat cake.

    People in rural areas without broadband who lose their mail service won't be able to get their netflix DVDs, magazines, newspapers, catalogs, voter information packets, packages etc. because the commercial delivery services will not find it profitable to deliver to such areas and a telephone modem is too slow. The postal service is required to deliver to everyone and that requirement makes it a tool for effective democracy. If the rest of us ever experience lengthy power outages or loss of broadband due to sabotage, war or disaster we will be glad to have a backup system.
    Im pretty sure I will be fine without getting the mail or internet for a few weeks to forever.

  7. #147
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,574

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    There is also wireless, including satelite.
    Satellite internet is extremely expensive. I am locked down with AT&T in my neighborhood and we looked into it, and not only is it extremely expensive, it limits your usage. Seems like it was a several hundred dollar start-up fee, plus a hundred a month for 6g, and the service itself was a lot slower than we were used to. We ended up staying with AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  8. #148
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Satellite internet is extremely expensive. I am locked down with AT&T in my neighborhood and we looked into it, and not only is it extremely expensive, it limits your usage. Seems like it was a several hundred dollar start-up fee, plus a hundred a month for 6g, and the service itself was a lot slower than we were used to. We ended up staying with AT&T.
    Oh, but you don't understand. Because it's available, that is enough.

    According to some.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #149
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,574

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Oh, but you don't understand. Because it's available, that is enough.

    According to some.
    Well, the fact that it is available is good, but this is the thing. With stuff like satellite internet, if you want everybody to have it, it'll have to be government subsidized, because limited income people cannot afford it. Once you do that, you are having more government involved, and that didn't work out so well for the USPS.

    I think the best idea for the USPS, to be able to keep it, as well as stop the bloodletting, is to completely stop door-to-door delivery, and cut back to maybe 3 or 4 days a week. Most mail is junk anyway, and I would have no problem waiting for a few days to get more junk mail. Do like a Monday, Wednesday and Friday delivery. That should help. If that's not enough, increase the cost of postage. Who still mails stuff anyway? Honestly, everybody whines when the cost of a stamp goes up 3 cents, but how often are stamps used anyway? The only time I ever use stamps is for Christmas cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  10. #150
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should door to door mail delivery end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Well, the fact that it is available is good, but this is the thing. With stuff like satellite internet, if you want everybody to have it, it'll have to be government subsidized, because limited income people cannot afford it. Once you do that, you are having more government involved, and that didn't work out so well for the USPS.

    I think the best idea for the USPS, to be able to keep it, as well as stop the bloodletting, is to completely stop door-to-door delivery, and cut back to maybe 3 or 4 days a week. Most mail is junk anyway, and I would have no problem waiting for a few days to get more junk mail. Do like a Monday, Wednesday and Friday delivery. That should help. If that's not enough, increase the cost of postage. Who still mails stuff anyway? Honestly, everybody whines when the cost of a stamp goes up 3 cents, but how often are stamps used anyway? The only time I ever use stamps is for Christmas cards.
    No no no. It doesn't have to be subsidized. As long some kind of connection is "available", that good enough. I have my connection, so I have no empathy for others. As someone else said, let them eat cake.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •