View Poll Results: Do you use AC

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe in AGW and use AC

    9 60.00%
  • I believe in AGW and do not use AC

    5 33.33%
  • Gredy right wingers mmade it so hot I am forced to use AC, not my fault.

    1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: A question for the AGW crowd

  1. #11
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AC is the single biggest energy user in your home per KWH. Just a small room AC unit uses 1000 watts while a central air system uses between 2000 and 5000 watts.This huge energy consumption is for nothing but comfort and would be very easy to cut out of your life if you really think we are warming the planet with our energy use. When I was a kid AC was very rare and nearly all homes and businesses used fans and opened windows. On really hot days in school we would hold class outside under a shade tree. Anyway I have to wonder how many people in here crying about melting ice and rising sea levels use AC.


    EDIT: gredy means greedy and mmade means made My key board is fookin up. ASUS sucks!
    Of course I accept what climate scientists say. It's science. I still use my AC though.

    Do I realize that I'm cutting years off my life when I eat sweets, drink too much or don't exercise enough? Yes. I understand the science.
    Do I realize that I'm completely wasteful when I throw out food, or generate more trash than necessary. Yes, again I understand the science & the impact.

    I do a lot of things that contradict what science says I ought do.

    ... the point of it all is that excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere's composition causes a shift in climate, and thus we need to stop putting so much in the air. That's it. It doesn't mean that we need to go back to the dark ages or sacrifice our lives. You and I come from a tech-savvy and responsible country, the USA, and we're going to both need to use that American technology and our responsibility to cut a percentage of what we already produce. Nothing more or less.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  2. #12
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Of course I accept what climate scientists say. It's science. I still use my AC though.

    Do I realize that I'm cutting years off my life when I eat sweets, drink too much or don't exercise enough? Yes. I understand the science.
    Do I realize that I'm completely wasteful when I throw out food, or generate more trash than necessary. Yes, again I understand the science & the impact.

    I do a lot of things that contradict what science says I ought do.

    ... the point of it all is that excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere's composition causes a shift in climate, and thus we need to stop putting so much in the air. That's it. It doesn't mean that we need to go back to the dark ages or sacrifice our lives. You and I come from a tech-savvy and responsible country, the USA, and we're going to both need to use that American technology and our responsibility to cut a percentage of what we already produce. Nothing more or less.
    ALL your miniscule cuts to your personal usage are negated by the first seconds of one of Al Gore's many air flights. multiply that by the multitude of air flights daily.

  3. #13
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    As part of a radical spending control and reduction program I decided to forgo heat and AC as much as possible beginning 1/1/12.

    I did not turn either heat or AC on at all, not one time, for all of 2012 and 2013.

    January 2014 was 4 degrees below normal for the month, and on 1/30/14 it finally got too damn cold for me, and I turned on the heat. God it felt good.

    And BTW I only saved $192 a year.

    Going without AC was much less of a challenge than going without heat, partly because my apartment faces the sun directly for only about 3-4 hours in the morning, and direct light is largely blocked by dense tree growth. I found that training a fan directly on me to be tremendously effective in reducing heat discomfort.

    Living in North Carolina I do not experience the extremes found in most of the rest of the country; you just can't go without heat in the winter much north of Washington DC. As for AC, though, humans prospered in climates both tropically hot and humid without AC, so there is no excuse for overdoing it at home. AC is known to have a significant effect of workplace productivity, so businesses may be justified in keeping things cool.

  4. #14
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    I try to use it only when necessary, I too like my open windows. However, I feel like you generalize the entire AGW crowd, do you even know what they advocate?
    Like whenever it's hot.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Of course I accept what climate scientists say. It's science. I still use my AC though.

    Do I realize that I'm cutting years off my life when I eat sweets, drink too much or don't exercise enough? Yes. I understand the science.
    Do I realize that I'm completely wasteful when I throw out food, or generate more trash than necessary. Yes, again I understand the science & the impact.

    I do a lot of things that contradict what science says I ought do.

    ... the point of it all is that excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere's composition causes a shift in climate, and thus we need to stop putting so much in the air. That's it. It doesn't mean that we need to go back to the dark ages or sacrifice our lives. You and I come from a tech-savvy and responsible country, the USA, and we're going to both need to use that American technology and our responsibility to cut a percentage of what we already produce. Nothing more or less.
    And scientists are saints who are never wrong.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    BUT, economics rule...sadly, so the summertime setting is 75 and the Saab AC works not...she runs and runs well and that's it....this I must fix.
    Smart Meters ?
    Lets be careful, as I say, economics, and the wealthy must be better off than I....no problem....and, I do NOT want people needlessly dying due to economics.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AC is the single biggest energy user in your home per KWH. Just a small room AC unit uses 1000 watts while a central air system uses between 2000 and 5000 watts.This huge energy consumption is for nothing but comfort and would be very easy to cut out of your life if you really think we are warming the planet with our energy use. When I was a kid AC was very rare and nearly all homes and businesses used fans and opened windows. On really hot days in school we would hold class outside under a shade tree. Anyway I have to wonder how many people in here crying about melting ice and rising sea levels use AC.


    EDIT: gredy means greedy and mmade means made My key board is fookin up. ASUS sucks!
    It may be.......but, keyboards are cheap($10.6 @ WM), I count NOT silly pennies.
    And, my Windows 8.1 has a rudimentary spell checker.....
    I am not crying about anything....yet.....global warming/change is real, but its economics that forces me to skimp and save and be somewhat responsible..

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    cant click any of your choices total BS poll. no option for AGW is a hoax, only right wingers are greedy? please look at that thief Jesse jackson Jr, that was not a major case of greed?

    what a joke of a poll

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AC is the single biggest energy user in your home per KWH. Just a small room AC unit uses 1000 watts while a central air system uses between 2000 and 5000 watts.This huge energy consumption is for nothing but comfort and would be very easy to cut out of your life if you really think we are warming the planet with our energy use. When I was a kid AC was very rare and nearly all homes and businesses used fans and opened windows. On really hot days in school we would hold class outside under a shade tree. Anyway I have to wonder how many people in here crying about melting ice and rising sea levels use AC.


    EDIT: gredy means greedy and mmade means made My key board is fookin up. ASUS sucks!

    I like my ASUS, so you going to blame your key board cause you cant type?

  10. #20
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: A question for the AGW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    cant click any of your choices total BS poll. no option for AGW is a hoax, only right wingers are greedy? please look at that thief Jesse jackson Jr, that was not a major case of greed?

    what a joke of a poll
    Did you read the thread title?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •