View Poll Results: Are police units going too far by being overly militarized?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 87.10%
  • No

    7 11.29%
  • My cat's name is mittens...

    1 1.61%
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 241

Thread: Are Cops Too Militarized?

  1. #231
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    When in our history did the American right wing begin the hard turn against law enforcement? At one time American conservatives and support for law enforcement went hand in hand. Now, its obvious that the hate for government that is part and parcel of libertarianism has been extended to law enforcement. When did this devolution happen?

    This thread is merely the latest example of it here.
    I would ask, since when does the left have such a love for our law enforcement? What happened to flower power and all that jazz?
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  2. #232
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    I would ask, since when does the left have such a love for our law enforcement? What happened to flower power and all that jazz?
    the left loves LE when LE seeks to disarm Americans and enforce gun bans



  3. #233
    Live, Love, Laugh.
    SayMyName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Taizhou, China
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    I couldn't cast a vote for this one, because there is no middle ground. Each country has to decide what its needs are. Now that I live overseas and travel a lot, I do notice that the typical airport in the states seems to have many more TSA and police that are armed than anywhere else that I have travelled. For example, just passing through Moscow airport a few weeks ago, I did not see one armed agent in the terminal after you pass through security checks. On the streets here in China, I rarely see as many armed police, or police at all for that matter, in the large metropolis that I live in. In my small town in the states, I would see them everywhere, including cities like New York. Israel is very armed. So, all in all, of all the places I have travelled, the most armed nations are the United States and Israel.

    I suppose the United States believes it needs what it has. I think that is frightening, since it leads me to believe they are not doing something right to address the problem in the first place.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Any proof that giving a department military style gear will suddenly make the individual officers "trigger happy" ??
    What hard truth showed was just a fraction... There are case weekly, if not daily sometimes where police shoot and or kill people that were not even doing anything.

    It's hard to think up individual cases because it happens on such a regular basis now.

    That's why I ask if you've really been paying attention to what's going on through the country with increasing frequency.

  5. #235
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,969

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    General Motors Corporation
    Ford Motor Company
    Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
    Mitsubishi Corporation
    Itochu Corporation
    Royal Dutch/Shell Group
    Marubeni Corporation
    Exxon Corporation
    Sumitomo Corporation
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    Unilever
    GM
    Philips
    Nestle
    ABB
    Siemens
    BAT
    PepsiCo
    McDonalds
    and many others
    So you want a large, militarized police force to take on... corporations? That makes no sense.

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    So you want a large, militarized police force to take on... corporations? That makes no sense.
    I didn't say that. I am against the militarization of the police. My point is that we need a federal government large and powerful enough to effectively regulate the multi-national corporations. That is why I do not support the libertarian/conservative attempts to shrink government. I would shrink federal government also, but mostly to drastically reduce the military-security-intelligence-industrial complex.

  7. #237
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,969

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I didn't say that. I am against the militarization of the police. My point is that we need a federal government large and powerful enough to effectively regulate the multi-national corporations. That is why I do not support the libertarian/conservative attempts to shrink government. I would shrink federal government also, but mostly to drastically reduce the military-security-intelligence-industrial complex.
    Well at least we agree on one thing.

    My take on why corporations are so large and powerful is because they are colluding with government in the sense that they can lobby the government to influence it via money, political donations, etc. So in that case, the key to solving this dilemma would be to reduce government power drastically so that big corporations wont be able to influence them. No conflict of interest so to speak- with a small government you can have a more level playing field in private business since government would be too weak to influence the big firms to their advantage.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    What hard truth showed was just a fraction... There are case weekly, if not daily sometimes where police shoot and or kill people that were not even doing anything.

    It's hard to think up individual cases because it happens on such a regular basis now.

    That's why I ask if you've really been paying attention to what's going on through the country with increasing frequency.
    Yes. Now link it to the fact that they were given a weapon and clothing and gear of a particular type and not just because these individuals decided that is what they wanted to do.

    Maybe the problem isn't the gear so much as it is the TRAINING that police are given.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Well at least we agree on one thing.

    My take on why corporations are so large and powerful is because they are colluding with government in the sense that they can lobby the government to influence it via money, political donations, etc. So in that case, the key to solving this dilemma would be to reduce government power drastically so that big corporations wont be able to influence them. No conflict of interest so to speak- with a small government you can have a more level playing field in private business since government would be too weak to influence the big firms to their advantage.
    And limits on lobbyists might be a good idea too.

  10. #240
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Well at least we agree on one thing.

    My take on why corporations are so large and powerful is because they are colluding with government in the sense that they can lobby the government to influence it via money, political donations, etc. So in that case, the key to solving this dilemma would be to reduce government power drastically so that big corporations wont be able to influence them. No conflict of interest so to speak- with a small government you can have a more level playing field in private business since government would be too weak to influence the big firms to their advantage.
    you make a good point though it might not be one you intended. want to make corporate power less extreme? easy, make the federal government smaller.



Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •