View Poll Results: Are police units going too far by being overly militarized?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 87.10%
  • No

    7 11.29%
  • My cat's name is mittens...

    1 1.61%
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 241

Thread: Are Cops Too Militarized?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, you are wrong, I viewed the statistics before I first answered your question. But in the past I have also, in earlier discussions, compared crime statistics in the US to those in other industrialized countries and the number of murders as well as the insane number of people jailed in the US show that there is a problem with violence in the US. Without these militarized police units the violence might be much worse.

    So please don't thank yourself for things that live only in your mind and not in reality.
    Our biggest problems with violence come from the inner city poor neighborhoods where gangs reign supreme. Most of this is related to drugs and the fallout of our "war against drugs."

  2. #102
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I mean a person with several handguns can be just as dangerous to a police officer as a criminal with a heavier weapon.
    Oh, I can't disagree with that. In fact, and yes I know it may be bull**** (the 21 foot rule), but police are trained to treat a person with a knife within a certain range as one of the greatest threats.

    A knife, a damned edged weapon.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  3. #103
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I'm not sure what you want. Feel free to look it up.
    Prince George's County, MD Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Prince George's County
    I meant nationwide stats on homicides; so that we're not playing whack-a-mole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    ...Did you read the link? He's actually showing you that the simple act of striking down anti-gun measures didn't lower homicides. Actually, homicides weren't lowered at all. They were moved to a different jurisdiction. If that's how we're going to "lower" crime, we may as well move every trailer park and public housing area in the country to Easter Island and presto, no more crime.
    Yes I did and I accept all that, which is why I asked for overall homicides, as in nationwide.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  4. #104
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Is baltimore 'better'? I lived there early 90's, doing database work as well as working/drinking at hammerjacks. Was a fun city, and generally pretty safe if you avoided the wrong places. Sowebo was pretty bad back then. I was on light street.
    To be honest, when I go to Baltimore I go to Canton or Fed Hill. My favorite Hooka bar is on Light Street. The only time I go to the worst neighborhoods are when I visit my artsy friends, but the corner boys don't say anything to me beyond asking if I wanted to buy something. Most of the violence occurs among them. IMO, civilians are pretty safe from gang violence.

    Crime rate in Baltimore, Maryland (MD): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics

    We went from 282 in 2007 to 218 in 2012. Heck in 2011 they got homicides under 200; Juking the stats notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 05-17-14 at 02:52 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Our biggest problems with violence come from the inner city poor neighborhoods where gangs reign supreme. Most of this is related to drugs and the fallout of our "war against drugs."
    Just about every vice can be found in there: smuggling (human, guns, etc), forced prostitution, illegal gambling, child soldiers…

    Some areas are so bad that police refuse to enter.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    To be honest, when I go to Baltimore I go to Canton or Fed Hill. My favorite Hooka bar is on Light Street. The only time I go to the worst neighborhoods are when I visit my artsy friends, but the corner boys don't day anything to me beyond asking if I wanted to buy something. Most of the violence occurs among them. IMO, civilians are pretty safe from gang violence.

    Crime rate in Baltimore, Maryland (MD): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics

    We went from 282 in 2007 to 218 in 2012. Heck in 2011 they got homicides under 200; Juking the stats notwithstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Just about every vice can be found in there: smuggling (human, guns, etc), forced prostitution, illegal gambling, child soldiers…

    Some areas are so bad that police refuse to enter.
    Exactly. A lot of our most violent crime statistics come from criminal-on-criminal crimes.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post

    So please don't thank yourself for things that live only in your mind and not in reality.
    Your dodging and diversion do live in reality. You ranted on about uzi's and ak47's, and the crime stat's do not match your statements. Now you claim you looked at the stats and keep trudging the path of ignorance, when clearly you did not. You still have yet to deal with the reality that your original statement is total nonsense and not based in reality. Good attempt to keep shifting the focus in an attempt to move away from your ignorance on the subject, but you have failed.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  8. #108
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I meant nationwide stats on homicides; so that we're not playing whack-a-mole.



    Yes I did and I accept all that, which is why I asked for overall homicides, as in nationwide.
    There is no nationwide police force and people tend to live, work and shop locally. The important crime rate is that which most likely affects you personally, not some nationwide statistics. There is absolutely nothing that the Hay's county, TX sheriff can do about crime in DC or MD. This is much the same as the attitude concerning public education; folks care about their own kid's school far more than some lofty national statistical averages.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #109
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    There is no nationwide police force and people tend to live, work and shop locally. The important crime rate is that which most likely affects you personally, not some nationwide statistics. There is absolutely nothing that the Hay's county, TX sheriff can do about crime in DC or MD. This is much the same as the attitude concerning public education; folks care about their own kid's school far more than some lofty national statistical averages.
    If you're only concerned with local crime thats fine, what I am asking is if you doubt that the TOTAL SUM OF ALL HOMICIDES NATIONWIDE are going down?

    If that question is irrelevant to you, don't bother answering.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  10. #110
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Are Cops Too Militarized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    If you're only concerned with local crime thats fine, what I am asking is if you doubt that the TOTAL SUM OF ALL HOMICIDES NATIONWIDE are going down?

    If that question is irrelevant to you, don't bother answering.
    Yes, the US homicide rate is currently falling, but no single cause has been determined to be driving it. What is your point?

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...DrP_story.html
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •