View Poll Results: Do you think exit exams are fair

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we let kids off too easy, they need to prove themselves

    30 61.22%
  • No, this can devastate and humiliate a teen

    3 6.12%
  • It's only fair if the teen failed other classes

    6 12.24%
  • The teen should still be able to walk just not get a diploma

    1 2.04%
  • Other

    9 18.37%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 127

Thread: High school exit exams

  1. #61
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I think I agree with what you are trying to say, but, if you don't know where Antarctica is you should still be in Elementary School, not anywhere near graduating high school.
    Yes, but lets not fixate ourselves on tiny things no? The point is that the education system is teaching the U.S. as if everyone was dumb and illiterate like we were a few centuries ago.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  2. #62
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,485

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    So they can memorize more? You guys are missing the point, the educational system needs to be changed fundamentally, the entire system is stuck in the early 1900's when we were an industrial economy. Now that we are going into what is called an "intellectual" economy our education needs to change as such.

    8th grade (last year for me) was the most idiotic thing I ever experienced. It's these little things like memorizing formulas and not getting formulas on a sheet rather than being given the formulas and understanding where to apply them in math problems and in problems of the "real world". Nah, instead, you just memorize the formulas for the sake of memorizing and come test time you have to find (in verbatim) "The circumference of a tin can found in the trash".

    "The circumference of a tin can found in the trash"

    I don't even have to explain at this point as to why our education system is a terrible piece of **** you guys should get the point by now.
    Why not just get rid of testing altogether then?

  3. #63
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Yes, but lets not fixate ourselves on tiny things no? The point is that the education system is teaching the U.S. as if everyone was dumb and illiterate like we were a few centuries ago.
    I thought I knew what you were getting at but then you lost me. Learning, whether your want to call it memorization or any other word, is important. Knowing formulas. Geography. History. These are things that should be being taught. Yes, much of it is memorization. But that is part of the process. Schools are, even today when in much need of improving, is far more than simple memorization.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The point is that, if the exit exam favors one sort of learner over another, then that shows that the test may be flawed and should be redone.
    Will there ever be a perfect test that somehow manages to meet the needs of all types and sub-types of learners?

    And what I quoted suggested that some tests favor the left-brained over the right-brained. I will happily repeat my opinion that this may be taking things a little too far. I am about as right-brained a person as you'll ever find, understand the learning disabilities associated with lefthandedness, and am also more than a little militant about the ordinary inconveniences that those who are "right-brained" experience. And I did just fine on every standardized test I ever took, including the SAT and GRE when I was hung over and still hadn't gone to bed.

    Time to stop making excuses for slackers. If the student can't pass a minimum-standards test on the three R's, that student shouldn't have a diploma.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    So they can memorize more? You guys are missing the point, the educational system needs to be changed fundamentally, the entire system is stuck in the early 1900's when we were an industrial economy. Now that we are going into what is called an "intellectual" economy our education needs to change as such.

    8th grade (last year for me) was the most idiotic thing I ever experienced. It's these little things like memorizing formulas and not getting formulas on a sheet rather than being given the formulas and understanding where to apply them in math problems and in problems of the "real world". Nah, instead, you just memorize the formulas for the sake of memorizing and come test time you have to find (in verbatim) "The circumference of a tin can found in the trash".

    "The circumference of a tin can found in the trash"

    I don't even have to explain at this point as to why our education system is a terrible piece of **** you guys should get the point by now.
    You're very perceptive for one so young.

    While I don't think the educational system is quite as bad as you make it out to be, it most definitely needs some radical reform, including getting away from the memorization of facts that can be found on the internet, ending central control, more options such as vocational training, and the end of the 19th. century idea of the summer break.

    Public schools need to have to compete for students instead of simply requiring parents to use the school that the district says they have to use.

    Oh, and those layers of bureaucracy have to be done away with.

    I had a student years ago who turned 18 and ran for the school board. He won. You might be able to do the same, and then begin at least to institute some reforms.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #66
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I thought I knew what you were getting at but then you lost me. Learning, whether your want to call it memorization or any other word, is important. Knowing formulas. Geography. History. These are things that should be being taught. Yes, much of it is memorization. But that is part of the process. Schools are, even today when in much need of improving, is far more than simple memorization.
    "Is far more than memorization" And the last time you were in the PES was? For me? not even a year ago. Nothing wrong with memorization yes, but there is too much of it at the cost of everything else like experience.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  7. #67
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Why not just get rid of testing altogether then?
    Or change it.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  8. #68
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,485

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Or change it.
    To what?

  9. #69
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Yes, but lets not fixate ourselves on tiny things no? The point is that the education system is teaching the U.S. as if everyone was dumb and illiterate like we were a few centuries ago.
    There are far too many kids out there who ARE as dumb and illiterate as they were a few centuries ago. We need to be spending more time teaching them things they need to know and less of the ridiculous liberal "feel good about yourself" nonsense.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #70
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There are far too many kids out there who ARE as dumb and illiterate as they were a few centuries ago. We need to be spending more time teaching them things they need to know and less of the ridiculous liberal "feel good about yourself" nonsense.
    I think most of that "feel good about yourself" that you mention was in vogue about 40 years ago. It's not so popular any more anyway.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •