View Poll Results: Do you think exit exams are fair

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we let kids off too easy, they need to prove themselves

    30 61.22%
  • No, this can devastate and humiliate a teen

    3 6.12%
  • It's only fair if the teen failed other classes

    6 12.24%
  • The teen should still be able to walk just not get a diploma

    1 2.04%
  • Other

    9 18.37%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127

Thread: High school exit exams

  1. #21
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,141

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    If I HS student gets good grades but can't pass the graduation exam the school cheated thoset student by not teaching the appropriate material.

    I would like to see the K-12 school system merged with the community colleges and public trade schools so that there is less stigma and there are more opportunities for people who screwed up in high school and want to catch up and move forward with their education.
    while that is a possibility, that the student got good grades on material irrelevant to the-end-of-school test topics, i believe there are multiple other explanations. explanations which would reveal that the school was not at fault for the student's failure
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #22
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado, U.S.A
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464

    Re: High school exit exams

    As a student in College, I can say that there is already way to much standardized testing. This could devastate kids at a level that would follow them all their lives. If it has to exist, give it to the kids with 2.0 and less gpa's, that way it can be tested whether they need another year. The kids above that are usually doing fine, and they should not have to take it because it is unnecessary.

    Also, what are the topics? i went to high school where i could choose most of my courses (i had control over the pace, whether it was AP/pre-AP,i could choose the electives) If it is the same in other schools, there would be to much diversity for a successful standardized test.
    War is not a tool to satisfy your emotional outbursts.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    My oldest daughter aced the test the first time she took it, she doesn't have to worry about it. My youngest daughter is going to take it next year and will ace it too. I think that school systems that are ranking low need to take this as a wake up call, they have to perform better than they have to get their students to learn the assigned lesson plan. That's all these tests do, measure how well the students are retaining information that they are taught. That's their job. I don't care if they sit in high school for decades until they can get that through their heads.
    I don't care either.

    Realistically, one way or another, at 19 (at least in my state) they're free not to attend anymore.

    It may take another ten years to see what "social promotions" and "entitlement" and so on hath wrought. But I can testify that the "best and brightest" in college too often are not and wouldn't have made it to college ten years ago. Many, many can't do math, are historically and culturally illiterate, and cannot comprehend what they read in a newspaper article (much less a thoughtful essay).

    Because, in defiance of scientific law, the sickening culture of measurement and assessment has trickled upward into academia, professors are now being "encouraged" to let all students know that they too can be "successful" in their classes.

    In plain English, the pressure is on to inflate grades even on the college level. Failure, after all, is only "delayed success," and "everybody is a winner." Except that this often is a lie, and it's better to face your deficits and either overcome them or accept them. Sorry, you don't have what it takes to attend medical school, even if you've been told all your life that you can do anything if you just set your mind to it.

  4. #24
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,094
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: High school exit exams

    Nevada adopted such tests. Those tests are not hard at all.

    This whole "doesn't test well" excuse is complete bull****.

    When doing an insurance application over the phone with a confused customer it's very similar to taking a test. I'm not sure what the next answer is, it's very tense, I have to rely on information I've memorized and am able to quickly recall, the things I press on the computer screen are multiple choice. My applications are reviewed for accuracy and the phone calls are recorded.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    while that is a possibility, that the student got good grades on material irrelevant to the-end-of-school test topics, i believe there are multiple other explanations. explanations which would reveal that the school was not at fault for the student's failure
    What would explain a student getting good grades but flunking a graduation exam beside the school failing to teach the wrong material? The only scenario I can imagine is if the student cheated throughout school, but catching and/or preventing cheating is also the school's responsibility.

  6. #26
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: High school exit exams

    Being a teen myself, I really don't like the idea of exit exams. I'm sure I could pass one for every core subject though.
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I don't care either.

    Realistically, one way or another, at 19 (at least in my state) they're free not to attend anymore.

    It may take another ten years to see what "social promotions" and "entitlement" and so on hath wrought. But I can testify that the "best and brightest" in college too often are not and wouldn't have made it to college ten years ago. Many, many can't do math, are historically and culturally illiterate, and cannot comprehend what they read in a newspaper article (much less a thoughtful essay).

    Because, in defiance of scientific law, the sickening culture of measurement and assessment has trickled upward into academia, professors are now being "encouraged" to let all students know that they too can be "successful" in their classes.

    In plain English, the pressure is on to inflate grades even on the college level. Failure, after all, is only "delayed success," and "everybody is a winner." Except that this often is a lie, and it's better to face your deficits and either overcome them or accept them. Sorry, you don't have what it takes to attend medical school, even if you've been told all your life that you can do anything if you just set your mind to it.
    The use of measurement and assessment with standardized tests is intended to counter tendencies towards "social promotions" and "entitlement." A certain amount of standard testing is appropriate to insure that students have learned the essentials. Too much testing can result in teaching to the test only, without broader learning objectives being accomplished.

  8. #28
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    Being a teen myself, I really don't like the idea of exit exams. I'm sure I could pass one for every core subject though.
    Nothing wrong with showing you know your stuff before getting a diploma.

  9. #29
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: High school exit exams

    I know walking the stage to get my diploma was a big deal, as it is to most kids and their parents. The kids who do the bare minimum, skip school to sleep and do drugs I have no sympathy for. I do have sympathy for "slow learners", or people who don't pick up things as easily. Like I said I was terrible in math! Here is a sample test from our state of the math version.

    High school exit exams-image-jpg

  10. #30
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Nothing wrong with showing you know your stuff before getting a diploma.
    Again, I don't see the point. What do schools who utilize exit exams gain as opposed to schools who don't have exit exams? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •