View Poll Results: Do you think exit exams are fair

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we let kids off too easy, they need to prove themselves

    30 61.22%
  • No, this can devastate and humiliate a teen

    3 6.12%
  • It's only fair if the teen failed other classes

    6 12.24%
  • The teen should still be able to walk just not get a diploma

    1 2.04%
  • Other

    9 18.37%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 127

Thread: High school exit exams

  1. #101
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    your argument is poorly constructed
    you insist that the exit exam should be a compilation from previous tests, which you presume the student passed
    but if the student passed those tests, would he/she not also be expected to pass the final exam covering the same material?
    and if they cannot do so, then the valid conclusion is the student did not master the basic material, rendering them ineligible to receive a diploma
    My argument is if it's the same material they were *already tested on* it's a waste of time and if they don't pass, it's possibly cause they were bored out of their minds. I nearly fall asleep on most tests as is. The argument a 4.0 student doesn't deserve a diploma, after risking life and limb every day, based on this "exit exam" is what's poorly constructed.
    Last edited by chromium; 05-25-14 at 11:42 PM.

  2. #102
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    So you have a list of required classes and corresponding final exams yet somehow need an "exit exam" to graduate. What a load of ****. This is just an admission that the teachers or required classes failed
    No. Standardized test prove that the teachers aren't just passing kids due to bribery/personal politics/laziness.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  3. #103
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    No. Standardized test prove that the teachers aren't just passing kids due to bribery/personal politics/laziness.
    I could see that happening in one or two classes but all of them? Time to shut down that school then.

  4. #104
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    My argument is if it's the same material they were *already tested on* it's a waste of time and if they don't pass, it's possibly cause they were bored out of their minds. I nearly fall asleep on most tests as is. The argument a 4.0 student doesn't deserve a diploma, after risking life and limb every day, based on this "exit exam" is what's poorly constructed.
    Risking life and limb every day? Where exactly did you go to school. Iraq.

    I look at it this way. We have all seen the reports of collage athletes that can barely read. Those cats all graduated HS somewhere. If you can pass HS while barely being able to read there is obviously a problem. We should not be giving out diplomas just because a person participated. Exit exams just might help.
    When it is all said and done we as a country need to be making school much harder not easier just so it won't hurt kids feelings.

  5. #105
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    Risking life and limb every day? Where exactly did you go to school. Iraq.

    I look at it this way. We have all seen the reports of collage athletes that can barely read. Those cats all graduated HS somewhere. If you can pass HS while barely being able to read there is obviously a problem. We should not be giving out diplomas just because a person participated. Exit exams just might help.
    When it is all said and done we as a country need to be making school much harder not easier just so it won't hurt kids feelings.
    Gay in a small town, think i'd prefer iraq.

    Of course you're right, but one exam alone won't solve all that, not when detroit has 50 students per teacher. They want higher than a 10% graduation rate so they dumb down the material out of necessity. Making the kids care when they got a single mom and struggle just to not join their 5 siblings in jail or getting shot is the 1st challenge.

  6. #106
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Meh, I don't get all the hate for GEDs. I've heard people on both sides of the coin. Some say that a GED says that the student didn't work hard enough, or couldn't finish anything, so they aren't a good risk. Then I've heard that GEDs are looked at better than a diploma, because a GED test is really hard, and forces you to know certain information, whereas a high school diploma does not, as students are often passed without having full knowledge of the material.
    I don't hate the GED. I've always heard that it can be difficult. I also think that colleges and employers greatly prefer a diploma.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  7. #107
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I think most of that "feel good about yourself" that you mention was in vogue about 40 years ago. It's not so popular any more anyway.
    I agree.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  8. #108
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I think it is. There are many college students, for example, who think that they deserve a passing grade just because they came to class every day. There are others who aren't even marginally prepared for college work but who blame their profs rather than themselves for deciding so long ago that they didn't "like" to read. They think it's unfair (and so do their helicopter parents) that they have to take remedial ("developmental") math classes for no credit before they can enroll in algebra.
    I think a great deal of this attitude comes from parents. I don't see teachers encouraging or even tolerating this attitude. I do, however, see this attitude from some parents.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  9. #109
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It has been a while since I've been in college, but I don't remember ever being able to pass just by attending classes. How is that philosophy working out for the students of today? Is blaming their own lack of success on their profs helping them graduate? If they can actually get away with drifting through four years, then the system is indeed in big trouble.

    As for the remedial classes, I hear complaints about that all the time. It used to be that you had to know how to read, write, and do math in order to be accepted. Junior colleges were for remedial classes. Why do universities even accept students who aren't prepared?
    Money. They are happy to have students who need remedial classes because that is more money.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  10. #110
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: High school exit exams

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    Money. They are happy to have students who need remedial classes because that is more money.
    That's the answer to a lot of questions, isn't it? So, let them cash their checks and quit complaining that students come to them unprepared for college level work.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •