View Poll Results: Who is worse?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stirling (racist comments)

    5 12.50%
  • Vick (dog abuser/fighter/killer/torturer)

    33 82.50%
  • Don't know/undecided

    2 5.00%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 160

Thread: Sterling vs Vick

  1. #51
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    I am sorry about the proofreading lapse:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly
    I'm not saying Vick isn't a skeezy human being and that he deserves to be completely forgiven for his past behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by USViking
    Yeah, right- you deserves to have people like you wagging their fingers and muttering "tut tut, what a bad man you are!"
    I meant to say (sarcastically): "Yeah, right- Michael Vick deserves to have people like you wagging their fingers and muttering "tut tut, what a bad man you are!"

  2. #52
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The confusion you have towards my suggestion may come because either:

    1. You're moving the goal posts
    2. You were horribly unclear in your original post
    A little from a, a little from b.

    Your first post didn't suggest or speak, at all, about which is more damaging to society if it's CONDONED by society. You simply spoke to which is more damaging to society, seemingly in the context of reality, today.

    That's why I'd say Racism is more damaging to society as a whole, today, than rape is.
    Condoning was merely a way to demonstrate the damage to society caused by something. We can go a whole lot further though, Racism doesn't create unwanted babies, rape does. Racism on it's own doesn't cause suicides, rape does. There's really no logical way to defend the position that racism damages society more than rape does. None. At all. You'd have to ignore quite of bit of rape's damage to society in order to do it.



    When it comes to rape, that issue doesn't permeate into the realm of politics...
    Are you kidding? Rape absolutely permeates into politics. Ask a feminist, any feminist. You just made a political statement related to rape:

    everywhere from the on going back and forth about Obama, to issues of affirmative actions or discriminations laws, to issues with black conservatives, on and on. There have been undoubtably horrible situations involving rape before, but I can't remember any gaining the attention and splitting the public as much as the Zimmerman/Trayvon case did due to the accusations of racism. With Rape, there's an actual system in place to put forward institutionalized penalties for it along with the societal ones...while by and large, for racism, there is no such recourse. Not to mention, racism itself can often lend itself to violence as well as we've seen numerous times.

    I'd agree, in terms of which would be more damaging if society CONDONED it...I'd go the other way.
    Condoning it merely indicates which one is more damaging to society. If a society condones something, it accepts the maximum amount of damage possible from that action. Thus, if something is more damaging to society than another, it will be most evident by comparing worst case scenarios. (the more damaged society in teh worst case scenario is the one that condoned the thing that was more damaging to society.

    You could also find out which food in more fattening by taking twins and having one of them eat nothing but food a, and the other one eat nothing but food B. The fatter of the two at the end of the expirimant would be the one that ate the more fattening food, presuming that one controlled all other variables.

    Same thing here. I didn't more the goal posts, nor was I unclear. You merely did not understand your own position when taken to its logical conclusion.

    With all other variables controlled for, we both have agreed that the addition of rape into a society is worse for that society than the addition of racism into a society is (this is achieved in my "condoning" example). Both are bad for th esociety, but the society that had rape added was damaged more.


    To your point in terms of Vick and Sterling and dogs / meat...I can understand it. I can't even say I necessarily disagree with it. At the same time, I'll happily take the notion of "hypocrite" on this one. Much like I'd happily take the title of hypocrite for saying that people should be the better man when being insulted and not punch people, but if a guy called my wife a bitch I'd clock him in the jaw. I recognize there are double standards in life that we all tend to hold to SOME degree. For example, people may be far more forgiving of an action of a family member than a friend, and of a friend than a stranger. All for an arbitrary reasons, as ultimately all of those individuals are simply other humans.
    It's one thing to be a hypocrite and say "do as I say, not as I do", but it's another thing entirely to pretend Vick is WORSE than you in the process. That's going from hypocrisy to self delusion.

    Domesticated companion animals such as dogs and cats that have been bread into that role over the centuries pull a different string on my emotions than a Cow or a Fish; just like my sister pulls a different string than the chick sitting a few cubes back from me at the office. Doing something for the purpose of entertainment as opposed to something relatively essential to life (even if it may not be the only way to get that essential notion) pulls my strings just a little differently. And I don't really feel bad for that fact. I'll take the hypocrite label in that case.
    That's a fine justification for having the hypocritical laws. We're not discussing the laws, though. We're actually discussing whether or not Vick is a "worse person" than Sterling simply for having a different arbitrary line than you do.

    That's the line where hypocricy becomes self-righteous delusion. You can acknowledge your hypocrisy here, and that means that you can't truly believe he is a worse person because you recognize how arbitrary the line is. Since you realize it's arbitrary, you know that while you abhor the behavior, it's no different than how others might (absolutely do) view your own behaviors. Unless you consider yourself worse than Sterling, you can't really consider Vick worse than sterling. Feel free to claim you believe that Vick's actions were more disgusting/disturbing/saddening. But when it comes done to who is a worse person, the racist is always worse than the guy who merely has a different opinion than you do about which animals should be cruelly slaughtered in a wholesale fashion (since you do believe that some animals should be cruelly slaughtered in a wholesale fashion).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #53
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    and it is also damaged when people are so motivated by their fear of being considered racist that they rush in to defend a sadistic animal killer because he is black.
    Who's defending Vick because he's black? I'm defending him because he's being attacked by a bunch of hypocritical assholes who do the same ****ing thing as hime but pretend it's OK because the animals aren't as cute.

    Instead of trying to combat racism by creating enormous double standards...
    A double standard like "Dogs are important, but **** cows"?

    I'm not sure why you are talking about double standards here?

    You are saying society is damaged because of something that isn't happening and then you started babbling about double standards, ignoring the one I've been pointing out.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #54
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Vick committed actual crimes. Thats the equivalent question of "what does a murderer do to society".
    So basically your position is that the holocaust was less damaging than tax evasion, because the holocaust was legal in Germany, but tax evasion is an "actual crime".

    Sterling didnt 'promote' racism...
    He promoted segregation, actually. Listen to the recording. It's quite clearly what he is promoting.

    Check your info about his past, BTW.

    United States v. Donald Sterling, et al. (C.D. Cal.)

    He's a got well-documented history of racism and.... dare I say it... promoting racism.

    He was, in fact, found to be guilty of racist practices by the ****ing justice department.

    And yet he's worse than Vick, right? Laughable.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #55
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Nice to know you defend animal abusers.
    I'm glad you're happy to know that I will defend you, since you are probably an animal abuser.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you think racism is why Vick was reviled by millions?
    Yes. Racists will of course list any reason they can think of other than admitting it's cause of race, but Vick's done everything right for years, changed in every way. Well except for one way. He hasn't changed his skin color. That's never changed, while everything else has, so it's not hard to see why the people who still hate him feel that way.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    FYI, Vick is with the Jets so he's no longer with the Eagles, you can stop rooting for him now, Philly.
    Yeah it kind of sucks that I'm going to have to root for the Jets this year. At least they don't have Mark Sanchez anymore. Oh wait, he's on the Eagles now.

  8. #58
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boss View Post
    Yes. Racists will of course list any reason they can think of other than admitting it's cause of race, but Vick's done everything right for years, changed in every way. Well except for one way. He hasn't changed his skin color. That's never changed, while everything else has, so it's not hard to see why the people who still hate him feel that way.
    I think you are just making that up. Vick was black before he was busted-then again lots of NFL stars are black. Vick's getting thrashed for what he did-other blacks are not



  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I think you are just making that up. Vick was black before he was busted-then again lots of NFL stars are black. Vick's getting thrashed for what he did-other blacks are not
    Just cause people know it's not socially acceptable to express racist sentiments doesn't mean they aren't racists. Vick's crimes from years ago are the excuse racists use to berate him forever and ever. Despite the fact that he's a model citizen, a class act, and a great teammate.

  10. #60
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Sterling vs Vick

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So basically your position is that the holocaust was less damaging than tax evasion, because the holocaust was legal in Germany, but tax evasion is an "actual crime".



    He promoted segregation, actually. Listen to the recording. It's quite clearly what he is promoting.

    Check your info about his past, BTW.

    United States v. Donald Sterling, et al. (C.D. Cal.)

    He's a got well-documented history of racism and.... dare I say it... promoting racism.

    He was, in fact, found to be guilty of racist practices by the ****ing justice department.

    And yet he's worse than Vick, right? Laughable.
    Thats maybe the stupidest thing I have seen posted on this site. Literally. Beyond stupid.

    The Holocaust wasnt a theoretical construct, nor was it a verbal expression of an idea. You equate an 80 year old man telling his cuckolding girlfriend that he didnt want her to bring black men to the Clippers games with the ****ing holocaust. A verbal expression said in private to the murder of millions.

    ****ing moronic. Beyond moronic. What the **** happened to you?

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •