View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #1
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #2
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    I do not live in fear of unlikely events happening.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #3
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?


    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?

    This scenario IS the reason I have a weapon in the first place.

  4. #4
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I am going to get a gun because they're fun, self defense really is for me, the SECONDARY reason to get a gun.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  5. #5
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    Two can play this game.

    What say you to this similarly unlikely and absurd situation:

    Thieves break in to steal your TV, and you go downstairs to check it out. As is almost always the case, the thieves only want your stuff and to leave. They threaten you to go away, and they start to make good their escape.

    Suddenly you dive for your gun cabinet near your TV, throw it open, and one of the thieves, upon realising his life is in mortal danger because some moron intends to shoot him, hits you over the head with his crowbar.

    At what point do you wish you had not had any guns in the house?

  6. #6
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not live in fear of unlikely events happening.
    Neither do I, nor do most people. Some however choose to be prepared. So if it happened to you, you wouldn't want one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Two can play this game.

    What say you to this similarly unlikely and absurd situation:

    Thieves break in to steal your TV, and you go downstairs to check it out. As is almost always the case, the thieves only want your stuff and to leave. They threaten you to go away, and they start to make good their escape.

    Suddenly you dive for your gun cabinet near your TV, throw it open, and one of the thieves, upon realising his life is in mortal danger because some moron intends to shoot him, hits you over the head with his crowbar.

    At what point do you wish you had not had any guns in the house?
    I'm glad you had the balls to admit that you would sacrifice your family's safety so that you could remain logically consistent. I certainly don't have that kind of conviction to any of my beliefs.

    To answer your questions:
    1) It's not absurd, it happens all the time. It must be absurd because it's never personally happened to you, right?
    2) If someone breaks into your house, you're not supposed to go looking for them. That gives them the upper hand and I don't do that.
    3) I don't have a gun cabinet. A gun is useless in a cabinet.
    4) No, at no point during that scenario would I ever wish I was unarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Neither do I, nor do most people. Some however choose to be prepared. So if it happened to you, you wouldn't want one?
    I don't prepare for getting hit by lightning either. I don't prepare for lots of unlikely events. You don't either. No one does. At least be honest.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #8
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I don't prepare for getting hit by lightning either. I don't prepare for lots of unlikely events. You don't either. No one does. At least be honest.
    That wasn't the question. The question was if it happened to you, would you want one? I don't stand in open fields in storms, which greatly reduces my risk of dying from a lightning strike. Similarly, I would want to have a gun in this scenario to greatly reduce the risk of me and my family being harmed.

    I actually do know someone who has survived being struck by lightning, and more than one person who has survived a home invasion by being armed. Why are you refusing to address the OP?
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 05-13-14 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #9
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,974

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Im pro gun, but in this scenario I think a flamethrower would be much better.


  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    That wasn't the question. The question was if it happened to you, would you want one. If you actually did get hit by lightning would you want to have medical attention or would you turn it down?

    I actually do know someone who has survived being struck by lightning, and more than one person who has survived a home invasion by being armed. Why are you refusing to address the OP?
    I am addressing the OP, just not in the way you want. I am highlighting the absurdity of your argument.

    Oh, and by the way, you know what is more effective than owning a gun for home invasions? Prevention.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •