View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,368

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not live in fear of unlikely events happening.
    Nor did Sharon Tate, I presume.

  2. #72
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    You are correct.

    That doesn't scare me one bit.
    Yes. Yes, it would. You cannot fathom what happens to the human body when we become in fear of our lives. All the training goes out the window . . . fine motor skills deteriorate into oblivion . . . one's thinking process goes into pure survival mode -- not necessarily the best way to survive, by the way.

    That's why Longview makes more sense than anyone -- a shotgun.

  3. #73
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    If armed men break in to my house i'm already outnumbered and they are unlikely to back down because I own a gun, a fire fight will ensue and my family will be caught in the cross fire.
    The scenario is completely arbitrary, so sniping individual details is insignificant. What if it were one armed man? One unarmed man? Is there any scenario at all where you would abandon your anti-gun beliefs and wish you had a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    I see you've mastered HTML fonts.

    Other than that, you've got nothing.

    If I fire in the dark from the bed, the other two guys are going to light us up from seeing my flash point.

    So I'm a coward because I don't want to be killed next to my now dead wife? That's a brilliant plan you've got there.
    Every once in a while somebody says something so horrifically atrocious that it needs to be pointed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #74
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I don't know what level of training people have....but mine included defensive use of the weapon. Basically it is very simple:

    1) Do not head to danger, wait for it to come to you and put something solid between you and it.
    2) Create a safe zone with a firing window.
    3) Do not aim for a lethal shot to the head.
    4) Shoot at the largest target area on the exposed body.
    5) Be prepared to fire multiple shots in needed.

    Above all, do not have a gun you will not fire.

  5. #75
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Nor did Sharon Tate, I presume.
    You had to go back 50 years?

    Pick someone known from more recent times. I doubt many younger folks here know who you are talking about.

  6. #76
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Im pro gun, but in this scenario I think a flamethrower would be much better.

    Only if your home was condemned as a health hazard and you had to show cause to the Court why you are not in contempt for razing it



  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Care to explain why? I find it is often the refuge of those presented with a good argument to lash out into ad hominem attacks.
    I would love to.

    1) A gun owner is most likely going to keep a pistol near his bed. Worst case scenario, it'll be in his room closeby. He will get to his gun before the burglar gets to him.

    2) When confronted in an invasion not involving premeditated assault/murder, chances are great that, when confronted, a thief will leave. He won't stay and fight, especially not when a gun can enter the picture.

    3) No gun owner is going to "dive" into some cabinet - doubly so when a burglar is between them. Logic dictates that the homeowner runs away or says to take his stuff and not hurt him.

    4) In a situation he cannot control, a burglar only needs to run and get out of the house before an owner goes and track down his gun and pursues, should he be dumb enough to do so. Once he's out of the place, he's safe. You can only shoot to kill when there is reasonable expectation of your life being in danger. A man shot in the back outside of the home is murdered, not a victim of self- defense.

    You're British. As much as property crime is rampant in the UK, you should be a touch more educated about this. No such luck, huh?

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,368

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    You had to go back 50 years?

    Pick someone known from more recent times. I doubt many younger folks here know who you are talking about.
    There is always Wikipedia.

  9. #79
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I would love to.

    1) A gun owner is most likely going to keep a pistol near his bed. Worst case scenario, it'll be in his room closeby. He will get to his gun before the burglar gets to him.

    2) When confronted in an invasion not involving premeditated assault/murder, chances are great that, when confronted, a thief will leave. He won't stay and fight, especially not when a gun can enter the picture.

    3) No gun owner is going to "dive" into some cabinet - doubly so when a burglar is between them. Logic dictates that the homeowner runs away or says to take his stuff and not hurt him.

    4) In a situation he cannot control, a burglar only needs to run and get out of the house before an owner goes and track down his gun and pursues, should he be dumb enough to do so. Once he's out of the place, he's safe. You can only shoot to kill when there is reasonable expectation of your life being in danger. A man shot in the back outside of the home is murdered, not a victim of self- defense.

    You're British. As much as property crime is rampant in the UK, you should be a touch more educated about this. No such luck, huh?
    There is something prosecutors and cops assume

    1) if you are there to burgle a house and you are seeking to avoid confrontation you break and enter during the day

    2) if you break and enter at night-you are intending to confront the homeowners

    if you intentionally invade an occupied home or a one that you should assume is occupied, the LE establishment assumes you were there to threaten-or worse-the residents

    what does that mean? if someone breaking into your home during the day chances are he is just there to steal
    if he comes at night-assume he is there to hurt you and act accordingly



  10. #80
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The scenario is completely arbitrary, so sniping individual details is insignificant. What if it were one armed man? One unarmed man? Is there any scenario at all where you would abandon your anti-gun beliefs and wish you had a gun?



    Every once in a while somebody says something so horrifically atrocious that it needs to be pointed out.
    But you pointed out that I am a coward because I actually have a plan. I've run through it in my mind. The only outcome must be that my spouse and I will be alive when it's over.

    There is nothing cowardly about not being a gun blazing idiot, as you and your wife would be dead.

    Dig? Idiot!
    Last edited by d0gbreath; 05-13-14 at 10:57 AM.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •