View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #41
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Im pro gun, but in this scenario I think a flamethrower would be much better.

    A burning body is a fire hazard. It is much easier getting a blood stain off the carpet, a burn...not so easy.


  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
    I own a couple guns but have never felt the need to sleep with one . Lets try a different "what if" You hear a noise in the living room at 2:30 am. You jump up, grab your gun and go into the hall. You see a shadow moving close to the window, you take aim, pull the trigger and the intruder drops. You wait a couple of minutes to be sure no one else is there. Turn on a light and see your teenage son laying in a pool of blood. He was just sneaking back in after being outside. Do you still want to sleep with a gun?
    I don't live in fear of unlikely events. I would never shoot blindly like that, specially if I know there's other people in the house.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #43
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I wonder if in the last seconds of her life Mrs. Lanza wished she hadn't had guns in her house?

  4. #44
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,553

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
    I own a couple guns but have never felt the need to sleep with one . Lets try a different "what if" You hear a noise in the living room at 2:30 am. You jump up, grab your gun and go into the hall. You see a shadow moving close to the window, you take aim, pull the trigger and the intruder drops. You wait a couple of minutes to be sure no one else is there. Turn on a light and see your teenage son laying in a pool of blood. He was just sneaking back in after being outside. Do you still want to sleep with a gun?
    Target identification is one of the very first things you learn in a gun safety course. If you know your family is in the house and you can't locate them, it's probably not wise to fire blindly into the dark.

    If that's the kind of thing you do, maybe it's better you don't own a gun and just hope for the best, as you'd obviously be useless even with one.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Clearly, in that situation, I'd rather have a cell phone. Like saying goes, when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
    I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic so I'll skip the point where I mock you for being naive.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Two can play this game.What say you to this similarly unlikely and absurd situation:Thieves break in to steal your TV, and you go downstairs to check it out. As is almost always the case, the thieves only want your stuff and to leave. They threaten you to go away, and they start to make good their escape. Suddenly you dive for your gun cabinet near your TV, throw it open, and one of the thieves, upon realising his life is in mortal danger because some moron intends to shoot him, hits you over the head with his crowbar.At what point do you wish you had not had any guns in the house?
    This has to be the most retarded anti-gun statement I have ever seen - and it has great competition.

  6. #46
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I wonder if in the last seconds of her life Mrs. Lanza wished she hadn't had guns in her house?
    Since you want to pull out her dead body to make a point, I suspect if she had time for conscious thought in her last seconds it probably would have been "damn...maybe I should have got him some help sooner." Considering he was both deranged and violent, its entirely likely he would have used a knife or a baseball bat on her instead of a 22lr.

    Im sure your morally superior position to someone forced to watch a love one get brutalized and then murdered would be "its OK honey...at least we dont own guns!"

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Would you want a gun in this situation?
    Before reading any thread content I'm going to answer with an emphatic YES because by default I always want a gun on my person always....unless I'm swimming or showering.

    So, on with the thread...

  8. #48
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I don't live in fear of unlikely events. I would never shoot blindly like that, specially if I know there's other people in the house.
    It's as likely an event as the op "what if" Teens sneak in and out.

    Another question: If there are so many gun carrying John Wayne's out there why is there so much crime?
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  9. #49
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    This has to be the most retarded anti-gun statement I have ever seen - and it has great competition.
    I like the part about how they only want our stuff, like home invasion is no big deal and it's our job to provide them the safest possible environment to work in. **** that.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #50
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Target identification is one of the very first things you learn in a gun safety course. If you know your family is in the house and you can't locate them, it's probably not wise to fire blindly into the dark.

    If that's the kind of thing you do, maybe it's better you don't own a gun and just hope for the best, as you'd obviously be useless even with one.
    So you would run around doing a head count before confronting the problem.
    I'll ignore the rest of you childish BS
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •