View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #411
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Ego had nothing to do with it, I love how the left always puts that out there.
    Um....it wasnt really directed at you specifically, but I did quote you so I apologize for the broad brush.

    OTOH, if you reread what you wrote, it sure sounded that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Work hard for the few things I have, anyone want to take them.

    Run if you want, I have never and will never run from anyone or anything in my life.
    And it is a very common perspective among gun owners.

    I also share it...I work hard for what I have too...but I also realize that the govt and courts can take it all away from me even more easily than criminals...financially, thru prison, or costing me my gun rights.

    I weigh the risks, just like any others around gun ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #412
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Largely because i value the lives of my children over my tv. But that is just me. I am not going to start a gun fight with a group of people and then get myself killed and leave those same people now alone with my young son and daughter because I want to keep my tv. But again, thats just me. Some people do value their possessions more than loved ones.
    If they only want your "TV", why are they breaking in while there are people in the house?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #413
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Neither do I, nor do most people. Some however choose to be prepared. So if it happened to you, you wouldn't want one?



    I'm glad you had the balls to admit that you would sacrifice your family's safety so that you could remain logically consistent. I certainly don't have that kind of conviction to any of my beliefs.

    To answer your questions:
    1) It's not absurd, it happens all the time. It must be absurd because it's never personally happened to you, right?
    2) If someone breaks into your house, you're not supposed to go looking for them. That gives them the upper hand and I don't do that.
    3) I don't have a gun cabinet. A gun is useless in a cabinet.
    4) No, at no point during that scenario would I ever wish I was unarmed.
    The real TRUTH is that statistically you are the one who is sacrificing your families safety by having a gun in the house. Justifying it by making up a extremely unlikely situation does not make it OK either. Being armed actually increases you or loved ones chances of being shot, often with your own gun too.
    Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.U3Zh-2dOXb0
    Last edited by iguanaman; 05-16-14 at 04:13 PM.

  4. #414
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Um....it wasnt really directed at you specifically, but I did quote you so I apologize for the broad brush.

    OTOH, if you reread what you wrote, it sure sounded that way.



    And it is a very common perspective among gun owners.

    I also share it...I work hard for what I have too...but I also realize that the govt and courts can take it all away from me even more easily than criminals...financially, thru prison, or costing me my gun rights.

    I weigh the risks, just like any others around gun ownership.
    I live in Florida, you are in my home. Un invited you are subject to laws under the castle doctrine of this state. Even so, I would defend my home and family with lethal force. I would rather by tried by 12 than carried by 6 or worse watch helplessly as my family is victimized because it was too bitter a pill to swallow to kill an attacker or worry about the courts.

  5. #415
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I live in Florida, you are in my home. Un invited you are subject to laws under the castle doctrine of this state. Even so, I would defend my home and family with lethal force. I would rather by tried by 12 than carried by 6 or worse watch helplessly as my family is victimized because it was too bitter a pill to swallow to kill an attacker or worry about the courts.
    I never said anything like not defending myself or family. I said I would retreat anytime it was possible rather than kill or risk being tried by 12.

    I am well aware of Castle Doctrine. We have similar here. They scrutinize every homeowner shooting with a magnifying glass anyway. I also explicitly said I would not retreat from my home and why.

    You are so on autopilot you cant even read straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #416
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The real TRUTH is that statistically you are the one who is sacrificing your families safety by having a gun in the house. Justifying it by making up a extremely unlikely situation does not make it OK either. Being armed actually increases you or loved ones chances of being shot, often with your own gun too.
    Carrying a gun increases risk of getting shot and killed - science-in-society - 06 October 2009 - New Scientist
    not this crap again. most of the studies include as a gun in the home, cases where the intruder brought the firearm. most of those people killed are criminals carrying guns legally. and the DOJ has found that armed victims who resist violent attacks are far less likely to be injured than those who submit.



    If one is afraid of owning a gun-Do NOT OWN ONE. but citing silly studies that set out with the goal of demonizing gun ownership isn't going to convince anyone who understands the issue.



  7. #417
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Why do you boil it down to nothing by your TV, you think people only break in to steal TVs? They break in to rape, beat, murder (thrill kill), torture.
    Is it likely in most parts? No, but the Connecticut doctor's wife probably never considered it either.
    Yea so if they are there to rape my children, I am still trying to get them out of the house. Getting myself killed and leaving my 4 year old daughter now alone with them because I want to be an idiot who doesn't run away is not on the agenda.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #418
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If they only want your "TV", why are they breaking in while there are people in the house?
    well, i was replying to cruecabs comment of "Work hard for the few things I have, anyone want to take them" So replace TV with whatever item(s) you wish. It wont change that I value my families lives over it.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #419
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I never said anything like not defending myself or family. I said I would retreat anytime it was possible rather than kill or risk being tried by 12.

    I am well aware of Castle Doctrine. We have similar here. They scrutinize every homeowner shooting with a magnifying glass anyway. I also explicitly said I would not retreat from my home and why.

    You are so on autopilot you cant even read straight.
    No, I don't believe in "what ifs" when things go south. Either you meet force with force or you will lose. If that is "auto pilot" then I have done my job.

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    well, i was replying to cruecabs comment of "Work hard for the few things I have, anyone want to take them" So replace TV with whatever item(s) you wish. It wont change that I value my families lives over it.
    Again, another situation that you fail to realize. Everyones living arrangements are different. There are no children in my home any more. I do what I have to for my family at the time.
    When there were kids at home. I was even more vigilant.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •