View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #381
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No, when you adopt that is a requirement of the home study. Moreover, the odds of a grease fire in your kitchen, while not high, are far greater than the odds of ever being the victim of a violent home invasion. I also keep a shotgun in the back of our bedroom closet with shells next to it. The rest of my hunting guns I keep down at my dad's in rural Arkansas because chances are if we ever were robbed, it would almost certainly be when no one was home, and all that having a bunch of guns in my house would accomplish is getting a bunch of guns stolen.

    My point was the scenario described in the opening post was a silly one because its so extremely rare for such a thing to happen in the vast majority of neighborhoods. Of course, if a violent home invasion were to occur at my house I would want to be armed. Who wouldn't want to be. Similarly, if God exists and decided to punish the world with another great flood, I would be glad we have a canoe. The latter scenario only slightly less likely than the former.
    buying a safe is a good idea for those hunting guns



  2. #382
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    Suicide by firearm is more likely than the scenario that you describe. The most likely person to kill you is your spouse.

    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle you could be writing a suicide note to your family. Some people don't need that kind of temptation.

    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle your spouse could be cussing you out for leaving your socks in the floor. Your spouse doesn't need that kind of temptation.

    It's better not to have a gun in your home. The scenario that you are describing is very rare. The scenario of suicide and spousal homicide is very common.

  3. #383
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,805

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootlace View Post
    you are home asleep in bed, armed men are in your home. that pretty much defines "confronted" to me.
    If they are inside, they are legally live targets.

  4. #384
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    Calm down bro. I clearly meant firearm usage by the public as opposed to banning it and only allowing the government to use firearms.
    I'm calm. I'm also a female.

    Please dont expect me to try and carry on a rational conversation with someone who willfully or ignorantly cant figure the simplest of things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #385
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Suicide by firearm is more likely than the scenario that you describe. The most likely person to kill you is your spouse.

    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle you could be writing a suicide note to your family. Some people don't need that kind of temptation.

    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle your spouse could be cussing you out for leaving your socks in the floor. Your spouse doesn't need that kind of temptation.

    It's better not to have a gun in your home. The scenario that you are describing is very rare. The scenario of suicide and spousal homicide is very common.
    And? So we should disarm everyone to make sure no one commits suicide? Of course some people will, and that's their perrogative. I'd rather have them take themselves out that way than to endanger anyone else jumping off a building or doing something in a car.

    The question in the OP was if you would want a gun or not, and you stated you did, so what else is there?
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 05-16-14 at 03:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No, when you adopt that is a requirement of the home study. Moreover, the odds of a grease fire in your kitchen, while not high, are far greater than the odds of ever being the victim of a violent home invasion. I also keep a shotgun in the back of our bedroom closet with shells next to it. The rest of my hunting guns I keep down at my dad's in rural Arkansas because chances are if we ever were robbed, it would almost certainly be when no one was home, and all that having a bunch of guns in my house would accomplish is getting a bunch of guns stolen.

    My point was the scenario described in the opening post was a silly one because its so extremely rare for such a thing to happen in the vast majority of neighborhoods. Of course, if a violent home invasion were to occur at my house I would want to be armed. Who wouldn't want to be. Similarly, if God exists and decided to punish the world with another great flood, I would be glad we have a canoe. The latter scenario only slightly less likely than the former.
    Any one coming to your home, in groups or alone may very well require an armed response. If you are not prepared for that, then what.

  7. #387
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Suicide by firearm is more likely than the scenario that you describe. The most likely person to kill you is your spouse.

    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle you could be writing a suicide note to your family. Some people don't need that kind of temptation.

    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle your spouse could be cussing you out for leaving your socks in the floor. Your spouse doesn't need that kind of temptation.

    It's better not to have a gun in your home. The scenario that you are describing is very rare. The scenario of suicide and spousal homicide is very common.
    wrong=there are many many more defensive gun uses than suicides. And there is no evidence that people deprived of guns have lower suicide rates. Just check out Japan



  8. #388
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,014

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wrong=there are many many more defensive gun uses than suicides. And there is no evidence that people deprived of guns have lower suicide rates. Just check out Japan
    I suspect you are right on the defensive use of guns compared to suicide but lets all admit that the statistics are hardly hard and fast and the exact numbers are up for debate.

    How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

    As far as Japan goes, using their suicide numbers (which you did not provide or refer to) are very very misleading since the cultural view of suicide is radically different than the same practice in the USA and guns play little role in the situation either way. The last time I checked, Japan was barely in the top ten of suicide rates - which is still high just the same. But the existence or non existence of guns in their culture plays no role in that either way.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #389
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm calm. I'm also a female.

    Please dont expect me to try and carry on a rational conversation with someone who willfully or ignorantly cant figure the simplest of things out.
    I use bro as a gender neutral term. I recognize that you identify yourself as a female.
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

  10. #390
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    A bad day at work could start with a bottle of liquor, end with a bullet to the brain and in the middle you could be writing a suicide note to your family. Some people don't need that kind of temptation.
    If every weak minded loser would do just that, imagine how much better our nation would be.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •