View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #331
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So cal
    Last Seen
    05-04-17 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    597

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I don't understand this poll! if I follow the situation up to the point to where the homeowner realizes he needs a gun and doesn't have one, what the heck is wishing for one going to do for you? You would be better off wishing the perp gets struck by lightning, or wish for some wings so you can fly out of the window to safety.

    A gun is like a parachute. if you need one and don't have one..........chances are you will never need one again.

  2. #332
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Every time you interview people, the first words are "I never thought something like that would happen here". Your assumptions are off base.
    Its a question of risk. The reason why someone would state "I never thought something like that would happen here." is the odds of it are extremely small. For example, the murder rate, which would include the much more common domestic homicides, is 1.1 per 100,000 in the county I live in. Considering that the majority of murders are committed by other members of your family or those you are acquainted with in some way, the odds of being a victim of a home invasion style murder in my county is literally millions to one.

    In comparison, the odds of developing lung cancer if you are a smoker is 1 in 5 with a survival rate of less than 50%. The odds of developing type 2 diabetes if you are overweight is 1 in 3. The odds of dying prematurely due to heart disease if you are overweight is 1 in 5. Now I don't know about you, but I know a fair number of people that are overweight, don't exercise regularly, don't eat that well, or smoke that are armed to the teeth for fear of being a victim of a violent crime. They worry about something happening to them that is extraordinarily rare for the community they live in, but they obviously don't understand the risk of what their lifestyle choices entail, and maybe committing themselves to a horrible death from cancer or some other chronic disease because of it. Point being, a lot of people are very poor judges of risk.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #333
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I have ONE house semi-automatic. That's it.

    Everything else is having a plan and flashlight and a way to call 911 and an actual place to take cover.

    And those are exactly the kind of houses that get broken into...they look well off. Smash and grab....and maybe miss that your wife or a kid is home. I lived on a cul-de-sac like that for 7 yrs before I moved to this place. Our cars, if left on the street or in the driveway, were broken into all the time. So were garages. We just beat the odds I guess that no house was.

    I cant believe how lame the other guy is just assuming his LE neighbors will come to their rescue. Even WOMEN should be ready and prepared to protect themselves and take some action, even if they choose not to use fireams. What kind of a man has a plan that is, "oh it wont happen and if it does, I'll wait for the cops?"
    There is no doubt that there is property crime in wealthier communities. However, once again its a question of risk. The murder rate during a burglary is extremely low. The vast, vast majority of property crimes occur when you are not in the home.

    Once again, I am a gun owner, I keep a shotgun in our bedroom closet at home. I am pro-gun. However, the scenario outlined in the opening post from a statistical perspective is only slightly more likely than a zombie apocalypse.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #334
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    It's an obvious situation for a gun, but it's also a stretch to make it sound that this is even remotely likely to happen to 99.9999% of the the whole--that's 1 in a million for those who suck at math.
    People break into people's houses at nite while they're in bed all the time. It's pretty common. It's more common than house fires, at least how it's reported in the news. It's even more common where it is just a woman alone or with young kids.

    And it just kills me too...there was such an attack here 2 yrs ago. two women alone, and guy broke in with a knife. If they had had ANY plans or preparation, they could very well have survived. As it was, one was killed and one seriously injured. Both were raped. With actual planning ahead, there's a good chance they might only have been wounded or not injured at all.

    When you are not prepared, the attacker has all the advantages....too many people just freeze and obey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #335
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Its a question of risk. The reason why someone would state "I never thought something like that would happen here." is the odds of it are extremely small. For example, the murder rate, which would include the much more common domestic homicides, is 1.1 per 100,000 in the county I live in. Considering that the majority of murders are committed by other members of your family or those you are acquainted with in some way, the odds of being a victim of a home invasion style murder in my county is literally millions to one.
    That cant be correct, you are just throwing stuff out here to see what sticks.

    We hear of home invasions or break-ins while people are home more than once a week here and Seattle only has about a million people. The Seattle metro area, 1.7 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #336
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,425

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not live in fear of unlikely events happening.
    Do you lock your doors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #337
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    There is no doubt that there is property crime in wealthier communities. However, once again its a question of risk. The murder rate during a burglary is extremely low. The vast, vast majority of property crimes occur when you are not in the home.

    Once again, I am a gun owner, I keep a shotgun in our bedroom closet at home. I am pro-gun. However, the scenario outlined in the opening post from a statistical perspective is only slightly more likely than a zombie apocalypse.
    Mine was not affluent, We all had basic split levels or ramblers, like mine (1100 sq feet). Everybody has electronics that can be grabbed fast.

    Low? Yes. Extremely low? No, it's on the news all the time.

    And again, you are completely wrong about the OP scenario. They've had shows on the Discovery channel that demontrated and helped people plan for things like home invasion, house fire, sudden flooding, etc.

    Hey....if you want to stick with the unrealistic nature and low risk of home invasions, they people shouldnt bother worrying about hardening the defenses or other planning in our schools. Those shooting are extremely rare and there are solid #s to prove that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #338
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Not if who you should be fighting are going to victimize them later.
    No idea what you are saying.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #339
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,654

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That cant be correct, you are just throwing stuff out here to see what sticks.

    We hear of home invasions or break-ins while people are home more than once a week here and Seattle only has about a million people. The Seattle metro area, 1.7 million.
    I "hear of" aliens landing and performing experiments on people too. Doesn't make it true.

    Here's a fact.
    Nationwide, there are about 100 burglary-homicides every year. When you compare that to more than 18,000 gun suicides, the conclusions seem pretty obvious.

    Gun Violence and the Irrational Fear of Home Invasion - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic
    So that's 1 in 3 million.

  10. #340
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That cant be correct, you are just throwing stuff out here to see what sticks.

    We hear of home invasions or break-ins while people are home more than once a week here and Seattle only has about a million people. The Seattle metro area, 1.7 million.
    In the city of Seattle, which would certainly be a higher violent crime rate than its suburbs, there were 23 murders in 2013. That equates to a murder rate of 3.7 per 100,000. As I stated earlier the majority of those are between family members or acquaintances. Random murders are quite rare, so even in a major city like Seattle the odds of being killed in a violent home invasion are extremely small. The reason why it makes the news is precisely because it is rare and shocking.

    Do you think that the evening news in DR Congo leads with the local murder? Probably not because they are so common there. So it takes much more to be shocking to the locals.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •