View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not live in fear of unlikely events happening.
    It's not so unlikely, especially if you are vulnerable, such as a single woman. Why would I NOT want to take precautions?

  2. #12
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am addressing the OP, just not in the way you want. I am highlighting the absurdity of your argument.

    Oh, and by the way, you know what is more effective than owning a gun for home invasions? Prevention.
    No, you didn't address the OP in any way, shape or form.

    The OP was a poll asking if you found yourself in the situation would you want a gun?

    You then went on and refused to answer the question and proclaimed that it's so unlikely to happen that you can't be bothered to consider what you would do should it occur. In the mean time, this happens to families every single day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It's not so unlikely, especially if you are vulnerable, such as a single woman. Why would I NOT want to take precautions?
    It's not even about precautions, it's about what would you want if it happened to you? I would expect every human being in the process of being raped to want to defend him or herself in any way possible. Those who say they wouldn't are being dishonest. (Not saying you are)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #13
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not live in fear of unlikely events happening.
    Rare?

    Data Shows U.S. Ranks No. 1 in the World with a Burglary Every 14 Seconds
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am addressing the OP, just not in the way you want. I am highlighting the absurdity of your argument.

    Oh, and by the way, you know what is more effective than owning a gun for home invasions? Prevention.
    Just how are you going to prevent someone from trying to break into your home? ADT? That doesn't stop criminals that want to break into your home, despite what the commercials say. Locked doors? There isn't a lock that exists that cannot be picked. If someone really wants to break into your home they are going to.

    And no, you're not addressing the OP. It asked a very specific question regarding a very specific, and real, situation that does happen...and far more than lightening striking individuals at that...one which you have not answered yet.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    No, you didn't address the OP in any way, shape or form.

    The OP was a poll asking if you found yourself in the situation would you want a gun?

    You then went on and refused to answer the question and proclaimed that it's so unlikely to happen that you can't be bothered to consider what you would do should it occur. In the mean time, this happens to families every single day.

    People are struck by lightning every day too. I don't live in fear of that happening either.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    People are struck by lightning every day too. I don't live in fear of that happening either.
    Nor does anyone here live in fear of home invasions. The OP posed an extremely simple, straightforward question and you refused to answer because it inevitably will point out the glaring inconsistency in your logic.

    So there is absolute no scenario on the planet where you would want a gun to defend yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Just how are you going to prevent someone from trying to break into your home? ADT? That doesn't stop criminals that want to break into your home, despite what the commercials say. Locked doors? There isn't a lock that exists that cannot be picked. If someone really wants to break into your home they are going to.

    And no, you're not addressing the OP. It asked a very specific question regarding a very specific, and real, situation that does happen...and far more than lightening striking individuals at that...one which you have not answered yet.
    Do you know how much a timer on a light costs? While you cannot drop the chance to zero, you can significantly reduce the chance.

    And yes I am addressing the OP. I am not answering his question, but every single post has been on the very topic he started.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Nor does anyone here live in fear of home invasions. The OP posed an extremely simple, straightforward question and you refused to answer because it inevitably will point out the glaring inconsistency in your logic.

    So there is absolute no scenario on the planet where you would want a gun to defend yourself?
    Oh ffs, your whole premise is fear mongering...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    It's easy to create a "what if" scenario.

    I'm not an "anti-gunner".

    But having a gun isn't a fool-proof and definitive absolute when it comes to day-to-day survival and happiness.

    Someone who doesn't want a gun can have an alarm system that sounds loud sirens, flashes lights, and immediately calls 911 for them when intruders break into their house. They could have a large dog, or multiple dogs for protection. A cell phone to call 911 immediately. Pepper spray. Tasers.

    I can "what if" your scenario into:

    Suppose, even if you have fully locked and loaded automatic weapons on your night stand 12 inches from your head, the "murderer" wakes you up by sticking the barrel of his 50 caliber desert eagle directly into your mouth before you can even clear your vision enough to know what's going on?

    What good will your gun do you if the murderous intruder wakes you by kicking the bed while holding your daughter by the hair with a gun pointed right up under her chin?

    What if the murderous intruder enters your house with no weapons, but then finds yours right nest to your bed while you're still asleep?

    Seriously, people can play "what if" games until the cows come home.

    Owning a gun does not make you immune to violence and or misfortune.

    Not owning a gun doesn't make you irresponsible, unloving, uncaring, or ignorant.

  10. #20
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's easy to create a "what if" scenario.

    I'm not an "anti-gunner".

    But having a gun isn't a fool-proof and definitive absolute when it comes to day-to-day survival and happiness.

    Someone who doesn't want a gun can have an alarm system that sounds loud sirens, flashes lights, and immediately calls 911 for them when intruders break into their house. They could have a large dog, or multiple dogs for protection. A cell phone to call 911 immediately. Pepper spray. Tasers.

    I can "what if" your scenario into:

    Suppose, even if you have fully locked and loaded automatic weapons on your night stand 12 inches from your head, the "murderer" wakes you up by sticking the barrel of his 50 caliber desert eagle directly into your mouth before you can even clear your vision enough to know what's going on?

    What good will your gun do you if the murderous intruder wakes you by kicking the bed while holding your daughter by the hair with a gun pointed right up under her chin?

    What if the murderous intruder enters your house with no weapons, but then finds yours right nest to your bed while you're still asleep?

    Seriously, people can play "what if" games until the cows come home.

    Owning a gun does not make you immune to violence and or misfortune.

    Not owning a gun doesn't make you irresponsible, unloving, uncaring, or ignorant.
    You can certainly play what-if until the cows come home, but that's not really the point of the thread. The point of the thread was to probe anti-gunners to see if there's any scenario where they would want a gun.

    I know you said you're not anti-gun, but is there any single scenario where you'd want a gun to defend yourself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oh ffs, your whole premise is fear mongering...
    Now you're not answering my second question? Aww, poor thing. The mental gymnastics you have to go through to avoid answering two simple questions is rather pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •