View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    This is why I have loud alarms on all my outside doors and all my accessible windows - that alone will drive away almost all intruders. It doesn't matter if they cut my phones because my cell's always with me, and the police are only minutes away. They arrived in four minutes when we had a prowler late last year. If the intruders come in the house anyway, I'll toss my mattress against the door - with the way our bedroom is set up, it would be very difficult for them to get past that - and wait for the police. No problem.

    Y'know, I don't have a problem with law-abiding citizens owning guns. What is it about gun nuts that they assume that if someone doesn't want to have guns, that they're automatically out to take everyone's guns away? From the 1970's to today, the percentage of Americans owning guns has dropped from 50% to 35% - and this is mostly just people deciding that they don't want guns.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #172
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    And I didn't vote because I didn't see an option saying, "I don't want a gun, but I have no problem with law-abiding citizens owning guns". It's not clearly defined what you believe is 'pro-gun' or 'anti-gun'.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #173
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    This is why I have loud alarms on all my outside doors and all my accessible windows - that alone will drive away almost all intruders. It doesn't matter if they cut my phones because my cell's always with me, and the police are only minutes away. They arrived in four minutes when we had a prowler late last year. If the intruders come in the house anyway, I'll toss my mattress against the door - with the way our bedroom is set up, it would be very difficult for them to get past that - and wait for the police. No problem.

    Y'know, I don't have a problem with law-abiding citizens owning guns. What is it about gun nuts that they assume that if someone doesn't want to have guns, that they're automatically out to take everyone's guns away? From the 1970's to today, the percentage of Americans owning guns has dropped from 50% to 35% - and this is mostly just people deciding that they don't want guns.
    Well that's not what I'm assuming at all. I didn't make any statement saying "If you don't want a gun you oppose everyone else getting one." My poll was more directed to the rabid anti-gun types that do want to ban or massively control the distribution of fire arms.

    The scenario is completely arbitrary. My only point is that if their lives were in danger and a gun could help, anti-gunners would immediately abandon their beliefs and do what it took to protect their family and self.

    Based on what you told me, you're "Pro-gun, but I wouldn't want a gun".
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I'm in the middle of the gun debate, I support the 2nd amendment but I don't think that means that anyone should be able to buy a weapon capable of killing dozens of people within just a few minutes.

    I don't own a gun for both philosophical and practical reasons. As the statistics I previously posted show, a home invasion robbery is highly unlikely, and violence by the robber is highly unlikely. My dog's barking, among our other security measures, would make such a crime even more unlikely. Even if I had a gun I would not shoot a burglar unless he threatened me or refused to leave.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 05-14-14 at 02:22 PM.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Well that's not what I'm assuming at all. I didn't make any statement saying "If you don't want a gun you oppose everyone else getting one." My poll was more directed to the rabid anti-gun types that do want to ban or massively control the distribution of fire arms.

    The scenario is completely arbitrary. My only point is that if their lives were in danger and a gun could help, anti-gunners would immediately abandon their beliefs and do what it took to protect their family and self.

    Based on what you told me, you're "Pro-gun, but I wouldn't want a gun".
    I understand. I've often said that while I don't want a gun, if they banned guns, I'd be first in line to buy one illegally. That said, I am strongly against the sale of assault rifles and sniper rifles - there's simply no need - much less any good use - for such in the civilian world. Ditto for long ammo clips and armor-piercing ammo. Besides, if one is really concerned about home defense, the best weapon is a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, that the burglar can hear that unmistakable sound...and a cell phone with which to call the police.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #176
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    I don't live where that is at all likely. You might as well be asking what I'd do in the zombie apocalypse.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #177
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    the scenario:

    It's late at night, you hear someone rummaging around downstairs. Frightened, you scramble to get your gun out of the night stand. You load up the weapon and go to see what's up. You don't know if the burglar is there to just take stuff, kill you, rape you, or all of the above. You creep downstairs to confront the burglar, now in your kitchen. You see their shadow, and level your weapon. The light suddenly flicks on, momentarily blinding you. Reflexively, you pull the trigger. The intruder flinches and cries out, The cry turns into words, "Dad! It's me!"

    Do you want a gun in this scenario?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #178
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I'm in the middle of the gun debate, I support the 2nd amendment but I don't think that means that anyone should be able to buy a weapon capable of killing dozens of people within just a few minutes.

    I don't own a gun for both philosophical and practical reasons. As the statistics I previously posted show, a home invasion robbery is highly unlikely, and violence by the robber is highly unlikely. My dog's barking, among our other security measures, would make such a crime even more unlikely. Even if I had a gun I would not shoot a burglar unless he threatened me or refused to leave.
    what is the limit on the number of people you could kill that you would allow someone to buy in terms of a gun within a few minutes.



  9. #179
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    the scenario:

    It's late at night, you hear someone rummaging around downstairs. Frightened, you scramble to get your gun out of the night stand. You load up the weapon and go to see what's up. You don't know if the burglar is there to just take stuff, kill you, rape you, or all of the above. You creep downstairs to confront the burglar, now in your kitchen. You see their shadow, and level your weapon. The light suddenly flicks on, momentarily blinding you. Reflexively, you pull the trigger. The intruder flinches and cries out, The cry turns into words, "Dad! It's me!"

    Do you want a gun in this scenario?

    Lets be more realistic and it turns out to be a robber. BTW ask any cop or DA-if you break into a home in the night time it is presumed you do so with the intent of confronting occupants. Anyone who shoots without first identifying their target is a moron and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law



  10. #180
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I understand. I've often said that while I don't want a gun, if they banned guns, I'd be first in line to buy one illegally. That said, I am strongly against the sale of assault rifles and sniper rifles - there's simply no need - much less any good use - for such in the civilian world. Ditto for long ammo clips and armor-piercing ammo. Besides, if one is really concerned about home defense, the best weapon is a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, that the burglar can hear that unmistakable sound...and a cell phone with which to call the police.
    By assault rifle, which fire full automatic, I assume you mean assault weapon, which is a term used to describe skeery looking sporting weapons which do not fire full automatic. One example is the Ruger 10/22, the rifle often used to teach kids gun safety and marksmanship. Since it can be made to look skeery with a few bolt on parts, it is an assault weapon. The civilian version of sniper rifles costs in the $5000 up range, weigh in the 35 to 50 lb range, and ammo is about $5/round. Neither of these is a desirable weapon for a criminal, so you must have some other reason for strongly disliking them. In addition, neither is exactly suitable for concealed carry. Which is also a legitimate and legal use.

    I don't buy the argument that a 12 gauge pump is the best home defense weapon, but if that is your choice, go for it. A 12 gauge is better than no weapon at all.

    Your other point, no need, no good use, is just not valid, although it is often a talking point among gun banners. The same could be said of your preferred weapon, the cell phone.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •