View Poll Results: Would you want a gun in this situation?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am anti-gun, and I would want a gun.

    2 2.94%
  • I am anti-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    6 8.82%
  • I am pro-gun, and I would want a gun.

    58 85.29%
  • I am pro-gun, and I wouldn't want a gun.

    2 2.94%
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 510

Thread: Would you want a gun in this situation?

  1. #151
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    We argue against this because the facts show otherwise. Aurora, Newtown, Va Tech, Gifford, Columbine, all were gun free zones. The highest crime and murder rate areas in the US are all gun free areas.
    To me, this is absurd as saying Kabul should have been safe because there was a no-gun policy, yet it was surrounded by Afghanistan. Chicago isn't really gun-free if you can drive half an hour to Wisconsin and buy an AK-47. This is flawed and absurd reasoning to suggest such.

    Britain, however, truly is gun-free, by and large, because we've outlawed it everywhere and have reasonable control of our borders. If Chicago were to institute border controls in and out of the city, and all guns eradicated from it, I have no doubt gun crime in Chicago would drop precipitously.

    If the United States as a whole were to have taken the same measures as Britain, perhaps the literally hundreds of thousands of your citizens killed in gun crime over the last decades would still be alive.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm curious about how anti-gunners would feel in real, dangerous situations. It's easy to decry the horrors of gun ownership in the safety of your armchair, but if the lives of you and your family were at risk would your convictions still hold?

    The scenario:
    It's late at night in your house, you and your family are asleep, when armed men break in. You don't know if they're there to rob you, rape you, murder you, or all of the above. At that point would you wish you had a gun?

    The way I see it, if you're anti-gun and would still want a gun to defend yourself in this scenario you're a hypocrite. This isn't an absurd scenario. It happens daily in just about every country in the world. So what say you?
    In that scenario, if the armed men wanted to kill you, you'd probably be dead before you even woke up.

    If you want to prevent that scenario....don't deal drugs.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    With the Heimlich situation, the point is if help is not on its way while you are attempting to clear, it is possible to end up with a revived but severely brain damaged individual.

    So it is a better idea to have someone call for help while you are acting. If you are alone and can just dial 911 and leave the line active, they will come.

    It is not a good idea to wait until you have exhausted your own personal abilities and then call for help. The lag time will kill you.
    Is your argument that you should call 911 in addition to your own, armed defense...or instead of?

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    To me, this is absurd as saying Kabul should have been safe because there was a no-gun policy, yet it was surrounded by Afghanistan. Chicago isn't really gun-free if you can drive half an hour to Wisconsin and buy an AK-47. This is flawed and absurd reasoning to suggest such.

    Britain, however, truly is gun-free, by and large, because we've outlawed it everywhere and have reasonable control of our borders. If Chicago were to institute border controls in and out of the city, and all guns eradicated from it, I have no doubt gun crime in Chicago would drop precipitously.

    If the United States as a whole were to have taken the same measures as Britain, perhaps the literally hundreds of thousands of your citizens killed in gun crime over the last decades would still be alive.
    You believe that you can curb supply without curbing demand. That's adorable.

    Cocaine is very prevalent in the United States. Can you tell me which cities and/or states that you can possess cocaine legally?

  5. #155
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?











    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  6. #156
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You believe that you can curb supply without curbing demand. That's adorable.

    Cocaine is very prevalent in the United States. Can you tell me which cities and/or states that you can possess cocaine legally?
    We have curbed demand, as well, through our education system, welfare programmes, and social outreach.

    Tell me, why is gun crime so low in the UK if everyone just naturally wants to murder each-other with Uzis every chance they get?

  7. #157
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    We have curbed demand, as well, through our education system, welfare programmes, and social outreach.

    Tell me, why is gun crime so low in the UK if everyone just naturally wants to murder each-other with Uzis every chance they get?
    Yes, "gun crime" is low but crime isn't; They just don't have the guns which make killing easier, but people will still find a way.

    I'm less concerned with reducing "gun violence" than I am reducing ALL violence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    perhaps the literally hundreds of thousands of your citizens killed in gun crime over the last decades would still be alive.
    No they wouldn't, they'd just be killed by another means. Please take a look at crime statistics, more people are killed with hammers than guns. Not having a gun isn't going to stop someone motivated enough to kill.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    What????
    Waste time dialing 911....when you should be bombarding the miscreants with hot lead?
    No way.
    You should only be talking to the perps.
    Phrases such as...."Do you feel lucky, punk?"...or..."Go ahead, make my day"...are much more effective than calling 911.
    I'd let the wife talk them to death if I don't kill them out right.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If armed men break into your house, it is already too late to avoid the confrontation. What would happen if you "dropped one" is a matter of speculation. There are several possible possibilities. Confronted with force, the bad guys may just move on. After one is dropped, they may decide to call it a night. There is also the possibility that you may get them all.
    Even if you do not confront, there is still a high likelihood that you may be slaughtered.
    keeping your family alive would be greatly increased by avoiding the gunfight.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #160
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Would you want a gun in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Yes, "gun crime" is low but crime isn't; They just don't have the guns which make killing easier, but people will still find a way.

    I'm less concerned with reducing "gun violence" than I am reducing ALL violence.



    No they wouldn't, they'd just be killed by another means. Please take a look at crime statistics, more people are killed with hammers than guns. Not having a gun isn't going to stop someone motivated enough to kill.
    Violent crime is indeed significantly lower overall in the UK than the US. I'm not blaming that entirely on guns -- I think it's much more socioeconomic factors that cause this.

    Either way, you're way more likely to die from being shot than from being stabbed. As well, it is much harder to stab to death an innocent schoolgirl in the line of fire than it is to shoot her to death.

    These are real, serious examples of how guns can be and are dangerous by their very nature, and not just because of the people using them. Surely you cannot outright deny this?

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •