View Poll Results: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 93.06%
  • No

    4 5.56%
  • Other

    1 1.39%
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 351

Thread: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

  1. #81
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, but the OP was. I quote: "Am I a racist, is this racism?"
    Sorry, your post immediately after mine seemed at first to be a reply to one of my questions.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #82
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    I've heard two different definitions of racism. One is the definition you provided, the other is the same definition, but the one committing the racism must be part of the race with the institutional power in the society.

    I try to avoid the word racist/sexist/cissexist etc. and just use words like prejudiced and discriminatory.
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

  3. #83
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Absolutely and without question, you would be racist. Anyone who pays attention to skin color is, by definition, racist.
    I'm struggling to grasp how observing physical traits is prejudiced or discriminatory in any way, or at least in a relative sense.
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

  4. #84
    User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?
    You betcha, racism is not limited - it's spread throughout the human race

  5. #85
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,771

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    I'm struggling to grasp how observing physical traits is prejudiced or discriminatory in any way, or at least in a relative sense.
    Observing that they exist isn't. Thinking they are important is.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #86
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    People who have little economic or societal power's 'racism' will have little effect on those that it targets.

    Why should I care if you hate me if you can't have any effect on my life?

    Think about it.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ RobertGreen Ingersoll
    If the races were reversed, how would what the White guy did have any affect on the black guys life?

    Does this apply to all situations?
    Last edited by Mason66; 05-14-14 at 06:10 PM.

  7. #87
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I don't think you're right in the slightest. It is only because of the power behind expressions of racism to even care about them. They only exist because of societal divides. To reduce racism away from a societal problem to a personal one is, I would contend, part of the move to diminish criticism of racism and allow it to flourish. We can condemn Sterling or Bundy all we like, but that does nothing to combat the actual problem. Society still allows racial oppression to continue. Remember the satirical bits about how Bundy was in trouble for not using the appropriate code words? That's really the truth. There's all kinds of racial oppression going on, and none of it happens to whites. But use of code words is one way to disguise it, as is trying to turn what is really a societal problem into a personal one.
    So since Doland Sterling said what he said in private and never acted on what he said, it doesn't matter. is that what you are saying?

    He never banned blacks from coming to his games, as a matter of fact he invited many more blacks to his games tan would have come without his invitations. How do you reconcile what he said with what he has done?

  8. #88
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    No it is not racism because white males under 40 are not a protected class. Now if you include white females and whites over 40 then yes. Also I think the behavior is racist but it is legal assuming the age and gender requirements put forth.
    Since when does the law tell us what is racist and what is not?
    Last edited by Mason66; 05-14-14 at 06:10 PM.

  9. #89
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    If the races were reversed, how would what the White guy did have any affect on the black guys life?

    Does this apply to all situations?



    When does really powerless people's 'racism' ever have any real effect on those that it's directed towards?

  10. #90
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So since Doland Sterling said what he said in private and never acted on what he said, it doesn't matter. is that what you are saying?

    He never banned blacks from coming to his games, as a matter of fact he invited many more blacks to his games tan would have come without his invitations. How do you reconcile what he said with what he has done?
    Well, it doesn't really matter, but that's not why. It doesn't matter because who cares what he thinks? But my point was about the OP. A racist opinion only really matters when there is societal support for it. That's why racist opinions, while still despicable, by disempowered minorities don't really matter. Because their prejudices are not enforced the way the prejudices of whites are against non-whites. Racism is a societal problem. It is a stain on our whole society. It's not a thing that just some bad people have. It's a society-wide problem.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •