View Poll Results: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 93.06%
  • No

    4 5.56%
  • Other

    1 1.39%
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 351

Thread: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

  1. #31
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    1.)Yes, it's racism.
    2.) The definition of racism doesn't include exemptions for someone in a minority situation.
    3.) The population you are around doesn't make the act of racism any more or less racism itself.
    4.) You could be an Asian guy that is racist against Arabs yet you live in an Asian nation where your race is a majority.
    5.) Say your company has a contract in the UAE and you move there, now that you are a minority in a predominantly Arab area gives no justification or reversal of the fact that just because the Asian person in the example is now a minority that their mentality or actions are somehow not racist.
    6.) Racism isn't defined based on the individuals race and anyone from any race is capable of being racist.
    7.) Minorities, majorities, or even people that aren't even part of that population looking in can be racist.
    1-7) all 100% correct back up by the factual definition of the words racist and racism.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #32
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) didnt ask about power or effect, nor do those things matter to the factual definition of racism.
    2.) never suggested you personally should care
    3.) you didnt give me anythign to think about at all, your post has ZERO impact to my question

    now if you would like to discuss an individual's or group's ability to impact others based on race, gender, minority, majority in different areas/time frames feel free to do so in another thread/






    Honestly I might even agree with with you that minority vs majority vs time vs where does all matter to "impact" but those things change nothing about my question or the OP.



    I said what I wanted to say, and as far as this topics concerned, that's the end of it for me.

    Powerless people's 'racism' has no real impact on other peoples lives.

    On the other hand, when people who have power are racist they have a huge impact on others lives.




    I'm a results oriented person, I have no use or time for bull****.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 05-13-14 at 03:09 AM.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The scenario:

    Where: USA
    When: today 5/12/2014

    I'm a black guy that owns a contracting Company. Its smaller, about 20 employees.

    Lets call it Agent J's Home Improvements and Landscaping.

    I dont hire any white people, I think they arent trust worthy simply because they are white so I deny everyone that applies. For me White = dishonest.


    Am I a racist, is this racism?

    For reference here the definition of racism:

    Racism:
    rac·istnoun or adjective
    1: a belief that
    race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2: racial prejudice or discrimination


    heres links to 9 more
    racism noun - definition in the American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
    racism - definition of racism by Macmillan Dictionary
    Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com
    racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
    American Heritage Dictionary Entry: racism
    racism - definition of racism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Collins English Dictionary | Always Free Online
    Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English
    https://www.google.com/search?num=30...w=1600&bih=815


    Yes, that's racist.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  4. #34
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    1.)I said what I wanted to say, and as far as this topics concerned, that's the end of it for me.
    2.) Powerless people's 'racism' has no real impact on other peoples lives.
    3.)On the other hand, when people who have power are racist they have a huge impact on others lives.
    1.) what you said had zero barring on the topic though, this fact wont change
    2.) this is a nice opinion but the only thing that matters is the bolded part of your statement. its still 100% factually RACISIM regardless of the subjective opinion of its power
    3.) again also meanignless to the word.

    again its not that i disagree, its that the subjective opinion of power has zero impact on the definition of the word racist or racism do you agree with that fact?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #35
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Here's another question: Suppose the owner of the company apart from the choices he makes when acting on behalf of his business PERSONALLY gives preferential treatment to black-owned businesses when possible as a consumer. Instead of shopping for the best quality at the lowest prices where most convenient, he looks for businesses that are blacked owned as well and is even willing to pay a little more, be inconvenienced to some degree and sacrifice some level of quality in order to do so. His reasoning is not motivated by hate or thinking non-black owned businesses have some sort of problem he prejudicially imagines. Instead because he sees black owned businesses as a rarity and the black population in general economically depressed, he wishes to help them out with special consideration, at least until things improve in order to do what he can to keep as many of them as possible from going under. He doesn't do this exclusively, just when possible and happily shops at white owned businesses too when a black-owned option is not available. Is that also racist?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #36
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Absolutely and without question, you would be racist. Anyone who pays attention to skin color is, by definition, racist.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #37
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The scenario:

    Where: USA
    When: today 5/12/2014

    I'm a black guy that owns a contracting Company. Its smaller, about 20 employees.

    Lets call it Agent J's Home Improvements and Landscaping.

    I dont hire any white people, I think they arent trust worthy simply because they are white so I deny everyone that applies. For me White = dishonest.


    Am I a racist, is this racism?

    For reference here the definition of racism:

    Racism:
    rac·istnoun or adjective
    1: a belief that
    race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2: racial prejudice or discrimination


    heres links to 9 more
    racism noun - definition in the American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
    racism - definition of racism by Macmillan Dictionary
    Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com
    racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
    American Heritage Dictionary Entry: racism
    racism - definition of racism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Collins English Dictionary | Always Free Online
    Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English
    https://www.google.com/search?num=30...w=1600&bih=815


    Eco is the only ridiculous hyperbolist who actually believes only white people can be racist. This is definitively racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I said what I wanted to say, and as far as this topics concerned, that's the end of it for me.

    Powerless people's 'racism' has no real impact on other peoples lives.

    On the other hand, when people who have power are racist they have a huge impact on others lives.




    I'm a results oriented person, I have no use or time for bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    People who have little economic or societal power's 'racism' will have little effect on those that it targets.

    Why should I care if you hate me if you can't have any effect on my life?

    Think about it.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ RobertGreen Ingersoll


    So you're saying because J is black, he's powerless and thus his racism isn't a threat to anyone? Jesus christ, racist much?

    And please don't quote Robert Ingersoll in a post you claim black people are powerless. You completely and entirely missed his point.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 05-13-14 at 04:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #38
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Eco is the only ridiculous hyperbolist who actually believes only white people can be racist. This is definitively racist.






    So you're saying because J is black, he's powerless and thus his racism isn't a threat to anyone? Jesus christ, racist much?

    And please don't quote Robert Ingersoll in a post you claim black people are powerless. You completely and entirely missed his point.



    I'll quote who I want to quote, when I want to quote them until the 1st Amendment is repealed.

    Do you have a problem with that?

    If so, then **** off, I don't have time to waste on you or anyone else who supports censorship.

    You'll never shut me up.

    BTW, I'll continue to support your right to free speech at the same time that you're trying to shut me up.




    "The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers
    Last edited by shrubnose; 05-13-14 at 07:26 AM.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,308

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The scenario:

    Where: USA
    When: today 5/12/2014

    I'm a black guy that owns a contracting Company. Its smaller, about 20 employees.

    Lets call it Agent J's Home Improvements and Landscaping.

    I dont hire any white people, I think they arent trust worthy simply because they are white so I deny everyone that applies. For me White = dishonest.


    Am I a racist, is this racism?

    For reference here the definition of racism:

    Racism:
    rac·istnoun or adjective
    1: a belief that
    race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2: racial prejudice or discrimination


    heres links to 9 more
    racism noun - definition in the American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
    racism - definition of racism by Macmillan Dictionary
    Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com
    racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
    American Heritage Dictionary Entry: racism
    racism - definition of racism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Collins English Dictionary | Always Free Online
    Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English
    https://www.google.com/search?num=30...w=1600&bih=815


    Of course it is racist and of course minorities can be racist.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The scenario:

    Where: USA
    When: today 5/12/2014

    I'm a black guy that owns a contracting Company. Its smaller, about 20 employees.

    Lets call it Agent J's Home Improvements and Landscaping.

    I dont hire any white people, I think they arent trust worthy simply because they are white so I deny everyone that applies. For me White = dishonest.


    Am I a racist, is this racism?

    For reference here the definition of racism:

    Racism:
    rac·istnoun or adjective
    1: a belief that
    race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2: racial prejudice or discrimination


    heres links to 9 more
    racism noun - definition in the American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
    racism - definition of racism by Macmillan Dictionary
    Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com
    racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
    American Heritage Dictionary Entry: racism
    racism - definition of racism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Collins English Dictionary | Always Free Online
    Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English
    https://www.google.com/search?num=30...w=1600&bih=815


    Definitely yes. This idea that only whites can be racist is relative new and mostly confined to the United States. In my book any hatred of another race, any feeling of superiority based on race, the idea that you are better than someone else because of the color of your skin or that someone else if inferior because of that color is all racism. Ethnicity in my opinion can fall into the same category as racism. One can be of the same race and still be a racist because of different cultures, backgrounds, social standings, etc. Perhaps the right word might be bigot, but the hatred and feeling of superiority is still there. It may be based on one being lighter in skin color or darker, but of the same race. It may be in upbringing or based on religion, creed, and tradition.

    In my travels around the world I have seen much more of the later than the former. But doesn’t hatred or the feeling someone else is inferior, untrustworthy as you put it of another for no other reason than skin color and I would include ethnic background, the same. I suppose what it is called may be two different words, but the actions, feelings, etc are the same. At least that is how I look at it regardless of what any dictionary may say.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •