View Poll Results: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 93.06%
  • No

    4 5.56%
  • Other

    1 1.39%
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 351

Thread: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

  1. #281
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The two are not equal, but they ARE both racism.
    Racism is a social construct, not an individual action. Racial bigotry is an individual action. Racism (through racial bigotry) can only be practiced by the majority power.

    Calling bigotry by a a minority racism ignores all of the social aspects of a social construct. That is, in fact, inferior thinking.

  2. #282
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Racism is a social construct, not an individual action. Racial bigotry is an individual action. Racism (through racial bigotry) can only be practiced by the majority power.

    Calling bigotry by a a minority racism ignores all of the social aspects of a social construct. That is, in fact, inferior thinking.
    I'm ignoring the social aspects because they do not apply to individual actions.

    The established definition of racism covers both individual and societal racism - it does not limit the use of the word to societal forms only.

    I recognize that in your opinion, some overarching/underlying racism against minorities continues to exist in US culture - I myself am not so sure, as I had always thought it was more a collection of individual actions rather than a social construct...yet, as a "white person" myself, it would probably be difficult to see...

    Yet, even if such a thing exists, it does not IMO excuse individual racism no matter the source.

    I dislike your dismissal of what I consider a terrible thing, based only on "well white people are doing it to everyone already, so any racism directed against them is meaningless."

    Even if it IS ultimately meaningless, I still refuse to consider it acceptable. Understand it's source, perhaps. But accept it, never.

    That old cliche comes to mind: "two wrongs don't make a right".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #283
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Racism is a social construct, not an individual action. Racial bigotry is an individual action. Racism (through racial bigotry) can only be practiced by the majority power.

    Calling bigotry by a a minority racism ignores all of the social aspects of a social construct. That is, in fact, inferior thinking.
    But yet, the dictionary disagrees with you. So which is right: you or the dictionary? If someone uses a word in a way that the dictionary d eems correct, how can you say they're wrong?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #284
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    But yet, the dictionary disagrees with you. So which is right: you or the dictionary? If someone uses a word in a way that the dictionary d eems correct, how can you say they're wrong?
    The dictionary does not disagree. You have just failed to read the entire definition.

    If racism was the same thing as racial bigotry, then the definition would just be racial bigotry. But it's not the same thing, that's obvious.

  5. #285
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The dictionary does not disagree. You have just failed to read the entire definition.
    We've been over this: that's not how dictionaries work. And you know that. When you have to pretend to not understand simple concepts like that to continue your argument....well, that should raise some red flags for you.

    Seriously, you have to pretend to not understand how dictionaries work. Shouldn't that be a sign for you?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  6. #286
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    We've been over this: that's not how dictionaries work. And you know that. When you have to pretend to not understand simple concepts like that to continue your argument....well, that should raise some red flags for you.

    Seriously, you have to pretend to not understand how dictionaries work. Shouldn't that be a sign for you?
    But but but....all intellectuals know how to use a dictionary properly. Dont they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #287
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The dictionary does not disagree. You have just failed to read the entire definition.

    If racism was the same thing as racial bigotry, then the definition would just be racial bigotry. But it's not the same thing, that's obvious.
    The dictionary disagrees with your insistence that racial bigotry cannot be called racism.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #288
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Racism is a social construct, not an individual action. Racial bigotry is an individual action. Racism (through racial bigotry) can only be practiced by the majority power.

    Calling bigotry by a a minority racism ignores all of the social aspects of a social construct. That is, in fact, inferior thinking.
    It is this type of arguement that is used to excuse racism by a group of people. It's dishonest and far more inferior. It does not matter who is in power or who can affect more changes. Racism is racism period.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #289
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Racism is a social construct, not an individual action. Racial bigotry is an individual action. Racism (through racial bigotry) can only be practiced by the majority power.

    Calling bigotry by a a minority racism ignores all of the social aspects of a social construct. That is, in fact, inferior thinking.
    The trouble with your assertion is that the majority power cannot be defined by race. More often than not institutions are guided by political philosophy and social agendas. Therefore the power base is political not based on race.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  10. #290
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The dictionary disagrees with your insistence that racial bigotry cannot be called racism.
    No, it does not. The definition includes a "system".

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •