View Poll Results: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 93.06%
  • No

    4 5.56%
  • Other

    1 1.39%
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 351

Thread: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

  1. #91
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    I say yes but why would I care? I feel that as long as you are not in the public/governing sector you should have the right to be as racist as you wish.

  2. #92
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    I've heard two different definitions of racism. One is the definition you provided, the other is the same definition, but the one committing the racism must be part of the race with the institutional power in the society.

    I try to avoid the word racist/sexist/cissexist etc. and just use words like prejudiced and discriminatory.
    I have heard that too but it has no factual support thats the issue and fact that SOME people miss.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #93
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    I would say that's racism...but apparently there are other definitions of racism...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #94
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Well, it doesn't really matter, but that's not why. It doesn't matter because who cares what he thinks? But my point was about the OP. A racist opinion only really matters when there is societal support for it. That's why racist opinions, while still despicable, by disempowered minorities don't really matter. Because their prejudices are not enforced the way the prejudices of whites are against non-whites. Racism is a societal problem. It is a stain on our whole society. It's not a thing that just some bad people have. It's a society-wide problem.
    You see that seems backwards to me.

    It seems to me it would matter if an individual is racist because it is an individual doing the damage.

    An idea a society has does no damage, it is always the individual doing the damage.

  5. #95
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I would say that's racism...but apparently there are other definitions of racism...
    made up ones but not real ones
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #96
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I would say that's racism...but apparently there are other definitions of racism...
    There are other deifinitions of racism, but a situation only has to fit one of the definitions to be racism.

    That is something Eco doesn't understand.

  7. #97
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You see that seems backwards to me.

    It seems to me it would matter if an individual is racist because it is an individual doing the damage.

    An idea a society has does no damage, it is always the individual doing the damage.
    An individual racist in a society that doesn't institute racist policy would be harmless. A lunch counter that says "whites only" only really matters because all the other lunch counters said it too. If only one did, everyone would think that counter weird and avoid it. But when society as a whole tolerated it, we had Jim Crow. Individuals' racist actions only have power when society will defend and enforce their prejudices. Individuals' racism hurts someone's feelings. Society's racism makes people into second class citizens.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #98
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    An individual racist in a society that doesn't institute racist policy would be harmless. A lunch counter that says "whites only" only really matters because all the other lunch counters said it too. If only one did, everyone would think that counter weird and avoid it. But when society as a whole tolerated it, we had Jim Crow. Individuals' racist actions only have power when society will defend and enforce their prejudices. Individuals' racism hurts someone's feelings. Society's racism makes people into second class citizens.
    But now you run into a paradox. If one counter is whites only then you say that's not racist, or at least not a problem because it's just one. But let's say 5 years later the majority are whites only, then you would say it is racist because of the societal toleration. But nothing about that individual has changed. One day he's not racist, or at least it's irrelevant, and the next he's racist yet nothing about his counter has changed. Do you really think that's logical?
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  9. #99
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    But now you run into a paradox. If one counter is whites only then you say that's not racist, or at least not a problem because it's just one. But let's say 5 years later the majority are whites only, then you would say it is racist because of the societal toleration. But nothing about that individual has changed. One day he's not racist, or at least it's irrelevant, and the next he's racist yet nothing about his counter has changed. Do you really think that's logical?
    I didn't say that wasn't racist. I said that it's not important by itself. If it were an aberration, then it would just be weird. But when society tolerates it, then it's a serious problem. The individual's prejudice only starts to matter when society backs it up. Hence why no white person ever really has to fear the ire of non-whites. It simply hasn't got enough power to make a difference. The individual lunch counter guy doesn't really matter. His counter doesn't matter. Society's prejudices do. The one guy is just an asshole. Society oppresses people.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #100
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,344

    Re: Is this scenario racism, Can minorities be racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    There are other deifinitions of racism, but a situation only has to fit one of the definitions to be racism.

    That is something Eco doesn't understand.
    Racism is a social construct of specific factors and impacts. You pick and choose among those factors (and ignore impacts) to apologize for real racism and make false accusations of racism. At the heart of such confusion is a desire to deny real racism and perpetuate a system of oppression.

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •